• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Seahawks have given up

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Metcalf seemed to have some visible frustration about how he was being used. I did too. I don't think that automatically means he had a problem with RW.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m kinda ticked we gave Geno 7 million dollars for 1 year… We overpaid grossly…

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’m kinda ticked we gave Geno 7 million dollars for 1 year… We overpaid grossly…

It's being reported it's only $3.5-$4M guaranteed with incentives. Basically he has to win the starting job to get $7M.

I've yet to see official contract details on spotrac or anything, but that's what I'm hearing.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's being reported it's only $3.5-$4M guaranteed with incentives. Basically he has to win the starting job to get $7M.

I've yet to see official contract details on spotrac or anything, but that's what I'm hearing.
Man I hope you’re right !

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I hope you’re right !

I hope the rumors or 'inside information' is right. 1 year $7M fully guaranteed would be fuckin' ridiculous for Geno Smith. Just draft a QB in the 3rd or mid-late 2nd at that point.

What annoys me about Geno, is we KNOW he is not the future. He's flamed out of various teams, been injury prone, and just isn't IT. Is he a decent backup? I mean, okay... but he'll never be a top 10 let alone top 25 starter.

So PLEASE at LEAST see if Drew Lock has something? Or even a 2nd/3rd round QB this year? I mean at least TRY!? Drew Lock is almost assuredly not the answer either, but at least there's a CHANCE! With Geno Smith, there's no chance. Given all the years he's played the guy just doesn't have the talent and he'll be 32 basically when the season starts. At least with Lock he's 26 mid season. If there is something POTENTIALLY there, there's some time to resign him cheap and see if he can franchise QB the team for 10 years.

And before someone is like, "But he can be a system QB and do well if there's a good run game and defense." To that reply, BITCH a TON of QBs can do well as a system QB and be okay if there's a good run game and defense. If that's your strat just draft a 2nd round QB every 4 years and spend the ridiculous money elsewhere.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the Seahawks are aware that Geno is a JAG. He's been resigned as insurance for injuries at the position, he knows the plays, knows the routes, knows the play calling, knows the system, knows his team mates so if things go south they at least have someone (however meh) that can be plugged in for a few games. It's not like anyone better can be signed once the season starts and a trade would be costly and likely not an improvement.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure the Seahawks are aware that Geno is a JAG. He's been resigned as insurance for injuries at the position, he knows the plays, knows the routes, knows the play calling, knows the system, knows his team mates so if things go south they at least have someone (however meh) that can be plugged in for a few games. It's not like anyone better can be signed once the season starts and a trade would be costly and likely not an improvement.

No doubt he gives some insurance to at least be serviceable in an emergency .. just not for 7 mil a year or even close to that …

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let’s wait to see the details of the contract. As a rule first news about contracts are wildly inflated.

Harold of course.. with the logical and calm voice...

*that's not a knock on you Harold, a compliment*

Meanwhile me:

giphy.gif

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on the radio that it's 500K guaranteed, 3.5 million as a back up, and 7 million if he's the starter.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard on the radio that it's 500K guaranteed, 3.5 million as a back up, and 7 million if he's the starter.

Yep, confirmed:

That's an okay signing. $3.5M for a serviceable backup is fine.

If they really intend to start Geno Smith day 1, I hate this signing. Just march Drew Lock or some 3rd rounder out there and see if there's anything there. If there's not then good... the season tanks and you take a QB in next years rich QB class.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, confirmed:

That's an okay signing. $3.5M for a serviceable backup is fine.

If they really intend to start Geno Smith day 1, I hate this signing. Just march Drew Lock or some 3rd rounder out there and see if there's anything there. If there's not then good... the season tanks and you take a QB in next years rich QB class.
Yeah, Geno better not be the guy starting... Then we'll never see what Drew Lock can do - we already know what Geno is capable of...

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Geno better not be the guy starting... Then we'll never see what Drew Lock can do - we already know what Geno is capable of...

And I've said this before... with regards to Lock it's probably nothing, but at least "there's a chance" (to quote the almighty Lloyd Christmas).

I'm still hoping Seattle keeps Geno for 'competition at all levels', drafts a QB in the 2nd or 3rd, and cuts Geno prior to the season. If Lock and our drafted pick suck ass, fine... at least the team will suck and you can secure a top prospect in the 2023 draft. If either pan out? GREAT! Problem solved.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I've said this before... with regards to Lock it's probably nothing, but at least "there's a chance" (to quote the almighty Lloyd Christmas).

I'm still hoping Seattle keeps Geno for 'competition at all levels', drafts a QB in the 2nd or 3rd, and cuts Geno prior to the season. If Lock and our drafted pick suck ass, fine... at least the team will suck and you can secure a top prospect in the 2023 draft. If either pan out? GREAT! Problem solved.
Yeah if Geno started we'd go 7-10, maybe 8-9 imo... I'd rather go 5-12/6-11 with Lock to see what we have in a possible future QB instead...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah if Geno started we'd go 7-10, maybe 8-9 imo... I'd rather go 5-12/6-11 with Lock to see what we have in a possible future QB instead...
To me, this (let Drew Lock start the whole year) is exactly what we should do. Get the rest of the roster (which has some holes and has declined in overall talent) as right as you can with this year's draft & free agency, then let Drew Lock have a full year in a new environment so you have the best possible idea of what you have with him going in the '23 draft. We don't have any unknowns to explore with Geno Smith.

Denver has a couple good receivers, but I don't think they are on par with TL & DK. Then you throw in Noah Fant & Dissly plus a solid ground game and *fingers crossed* a decent OL, and there shouldn't be any excuses for Drew Lock not being able to show what he is capable of at this level.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this article and read much that I felt was spot on.

Yes, the Seahawks got worse at quarterback this offseason. When healthy, Wilson is one of the five best quarterbacks in the NFL, and I don’t see that changing in the next year. But Russ is also an outlier in that he’s been able to consistently produce like a top quarterback while using an approach that we typically associate with mediocre passers. He regularly abandons clean pockets; he drops his eyes and looks to scramble at the first sign of pressure; and he is pretty much incapable of executing dropback passing concepts because of that discomfort with bodies around him. But Wilson is also supremely accurate: He has an arm that can make any throw, and he’s one of the best playmakers we’ve ever seen. He’s so talented he can get away with breaking the rules in ways that even the best quarterbacks in the NFL can’t. And while that style of play brought Seattle a lot of wins in the past decade, it’s easy to see how calling plays for such a quarterback could be frustrating for an offensive coordinator.

Wilson is the antithesis of the “system quarterback.” He is his own system, to the point that it didn’t matter who Carroll brought in as a play-caller. Eventually everything morphed into the Russell Wilson Offense. That’s certainly how things developed in 2021 after the Seahawks hired Shane Waldron away from the Rams to install a version of Sean McVay’s offense. The thinking was that the schematic guardrails that had helped so many average quarterbacks play like stars—even Jared Goff—could elevate Wilson, while Wilson in turn could elevate the system.

But as the season progressed, the product looked more and more like the offense the Seahawks had been running for the past decade. All the hallmarks of a McVay offense—the condensed formations, the passing concepts attacking the middle of the field, the runs from under center—were slowly phased out to the point that, if you look back at some key metrics, you’d never guess that the Rams and Seahawks shared a similar philosophy last season.

The McVay offense doesn’t work if defenses aren’t forced to pack the intermediate areas of the field. No NFL passing game does, really. Deeper passes offer a higher reward but hit less often. Shorter passes have a higher rate of success but don’t offer as much bang for your buck. It’s that midrange area where you find the perfect middle ground.

But that area is mostly closed off when Wilson is at quarterback. That hasn’t prevented him from playing at a high level throughout his career. But what happens when age starts to take a toll on his physical ability? When those moon balls he’s known for start missing the mark? When outrunning pass rushers become a bit more difficult on scramble plays, or those throws on the move don’t turn into completions as frequently? Wilson is still young enough to adapt his game, but his success rate on deeper passes, scrambles, and out-of-pocket throws is already trending down, suggesting we might be witnessing the beginning of the end of this stage of Wilson’s career.
If the Russell Wilson Offense is growing less viable by the year, and last season proved that he’s incapable of playing in another system, then Carroll’s and Schneider’s decision to try something new makes a little more sense.

https://www.theringer.com/music/2022/5/20/23132224/harry-styles-harrys-house-new-album-takeaways

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this article and read much that I felt was spot on.
"The biggest departure for the Wilson-inspired remix can be found in his passing map. While McVay’s passing game typically attacks opponents with in-breaking routes over the middle—a counter to the Rams’ horizontal run schemes—Seattle pretty much ignored that part of the field."

LOL LMFAO this is exactly what I said and got shit on for it!

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The biggest departure for the Wilson-inspired remix can be found in his passing map. While McVay’s passing game typically attacks opponents with in-breaking routes over the middle—a counter to the Rams’ horizontal run schemes—Seattle pretty much ignored that part of the field."

LOL LMFAO this is exactly what I said and got shit on for it!
Have you? Exactly? You may be getting carried away here. However go ahead and take a bow.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you? Exactly? You may be getting carried away here. However go ahead and take a bow.
I pointed out wilson cant throw or wont throw over the middle using very similar heat maps that they used in the article.