• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, Who's the moron that said the Lakers are the better-operated franchise than the Cavs?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way in hell that any time with LeBron or Michael Jordan as the center piece of the team could be expected to both make the playoffs and be a contender after missing the 20 games. The Lakers lost Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram and LeBron James. On what planet do you think the Lakers can win any games in the regulars season without three of their five starters? I just don't see that

Go back and check the records - post some stats - LeBron missed 20 games. Ingram missed 24 not counting the rest of the season. Lonzo Ball missed games and the rest of the season. You really think there is any team out there that can still compete while missing three fifths of their regular stars?
Jordan LEFT the bulls and played 0 games and they won a playoff series didnt they?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's the moron who tries to make a troll thread and still manages to get it wrong?

Oh yeah, that would be Cane.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I saw, the Lakers tried to make the same mistake as the Cavs and Dell Demps saved them from it by refusing the trade. Lebron and Davis would have been awesome, but if you dump all supporting staff to get it and replace them with Lebrons buddies you are in the playoffs, but not playing for titles. Cavs showed that over and over again.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Love can stay healthy not sure what type of decline he sees at 32. Not like his success was because of speed or athleticism.

Yeah, Love's game is actually made for longevity. As you say, he doesn't depend on speed or athleticism. Also, because he's proficient from the perimeter, he doesn't take much of a beating during games by having to try to score in the paint all of the time.

If he can ever get/stay healthy, he could be effective into his mid 30's, imo.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I saw, the Lakers tried to make the same mistake as the Cavs and Dell Demps saved them from it by refusing the trade. Lebron and Davis would have been awesome, but if you dump all supporting staff to get it and replace them with Lebrons buddies you are in the playoffs, but not playing for titles. Cavs showed that over and over again.
Cavs played for 4 titles and won 1......but that's none of my business.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs played for 4 titles and won 1......but that's none of my business.

After Lebron left to Miami and they got multiple #1's and loaded the roster. Yes Lebron came back and they won. That kind of proves my point, he couldn't do it without a well rounded roster.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really.

Once the Lakers didn't get another star to play alongside Lebron, they began looking towards this off-season. Had the trade happened, they still would have been looking to this off-season to right role players to put around Lebron and AD.

The Cavs made it to 4 finals and won 1 by hitting big on 1 of their picks (Kyrie) and trades/signing role players to get the players they needed to get there.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Lebron left to Miami and they got multiple #1's and loaded the roster. Yes Lebron came back and they won. That kind of proves my point, he couldn't do it without a well rounded roster.

Not really. The only one of those draft picks who turned into anything was Kyrie. They traded a failed #1 pick (Anthony Bennett) and the #1 pick they had just made (Wiggins) for Kevin Love.

Then, they signed some of Lebron's "buddies" and got to the finals 4 times and a title. Last year, he got them to the finals without Kyrie.

And no one wins a title without a well rounded roster. So I'm not even sure why you think that's a criticism.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really.

Once the Lakers didn't get another star to play alongside Lebron, they began looking towards this off-season. Had the trade happened, they still would have been looking to this off-season to right role players to put around Lebron and AD.

The Cavs made it to 4 finals and won 1 by trading for what they needed to get there.

No, they made 1 final and got swept. They loaded the team after Lebron walked and then made a bunch of finals when he returned to a well built roster. Cavs after Miami was a well rounded team built to win. Cavs with Lebron before Miami would be closer to what the Lakers would have seen with that trade. Obviously a better version of it as Brow would be the best 2nd fiddle of Lebrons career(You can say Wade and I would not argue).

However the Lakers are leaning heavily on Lebrons buddies and washed out players for the rest of the roster......this is all assuming the last reported offer from the Lakers was real.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. The only one of those draft picks who turned into anything was Kyrie. They traded a failed #1 pick (Anthony Bennett) and the #1 pick they had just made (Wiggins) for Kevin Love.

Then, they signed some of Lebron's "buddies" and got to the finals 4 times and a title. Last year, he got them to the finals without Kyrie.

And no one wins a title without a well rounded roster. So I'm not even sure why you think that's a criticism.

Yup, all they added was a top 3-5 PG in the league, and one of the best 3rd options in the league. Nothing else. 2 stars does not win.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, all they added was a top 3-5 PG in the league, and one of the best 3rd options in the league. Nothing else. 2 stars does not win.

And? It's always taken at least 2 stars and good role players. Exactly what is your point? No one wins a title or even reaches the finals without help.

So, I still don't understand why you think that's somehow a valid criticism.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And? It's always taken at least 2 stars and good role players. Exactly what is your point? No one wins a title or even reaches the finals without help.

So, I still don't understand why you think that's somehow a valid criticism.

My point was the same as it always was. If the Lakers had traded everything that was rumored for Davis it would not have set them up to be competitive for a championship. And the chest would have been empty to add the needed 3rd option.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, they made 1 final and got swept. They loaded the team after Lebron walked and then made a bunch of finals when he returned to a well built roster. Cavs after Miami was a well rounded team built to win. Cavs with Lebron before Miami would be closer to what the Lakers would have seen with that trade. Obviously a better version of it as Brow would be the best 2nd fiddle of Lebrons career(You can say Wade and I would not argue).

They drafted Kyrie and they traded for Love and signed role players who would fit around Lebron. That's how it's done. Championship caliber teams have always been built with a combination of draft picks, trades and free agency.

As for the Lakers, had they traded for AD. They would have been a playoff team and then in the off-season would have looked to sign the right role players to compete for a title next year.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 to 10 games is considerably difference in a much weaker conference 30 years ago then 20 games today in the crowded Western Conference . I haven't missed anything

But to be fair I looked up the stats and with seven games left

Kuzma - a starter has played 69 games - Missed 6 games as a starter - close to your boys

Ingram played 52 and has missed 23 - and will miss the rest of the season

Ball - played 47 games and will miss the rest of the season

Rondo has played 41 and will finish at 46

LeBron has played 54 and will finish at 59

I am just amazed that any one thinks the Lakers should have been able to overcome that and still played the same. With a better coach - maybe a few more wins, but the Lakers losses of three starters are big - Kuzma didn't miss that many, but it was still six games at the worst time possible - Six losses guaranteed when you're already down two of your starters.

None of you are being objective here.

Could the multiple years of tanking affected the team culture?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was the same as it always was. If the Lakers had traded everything that was rumored for Davis it would not have set them up to be competitive for a championship. And the chest would have been empty to add the needed 3rd option.

Not this year it wouldn't. That's why they would be looking to sign better FA's this off-season. They would also be going into this off-season in better position to get the guys they would need.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could the multiple years of tanking affected the team culture?

Possible, but doubtful. There didn't seem to be any issues with the culture until all of the injuries hit.

Even then, the biggest thing that hurt them was the AD debacle. It killed team chemistry.

The young guys no longer trusted Lebron.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not this year it wouldn't. That's why they would be looking to sign better FA's this off-season. They would also be going into this off-season in better position to get the guys they would need.

They would need one of the big FA to come over. KD, Klay, Butler, Kyrie, or Kawhi. They would have had the money for that. If that would have happened then I agree they are title contenders again. Like you said though, not this year. Everyone knows he is gone though, why do you completely strip your team of assets in a trade then? You agree they would not have been competive this year anyway. That trade offer was garbage, and the Lakers are lucky that Demps was willing to screw the Pelicans over to prove a point.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would need one of the big FA to come over. KD, Klay, Butler, Kyrie, or Kawhi. They would have had the money for that. If that would have happened then I agree they are title contenders again. Like you said though, not this year. Everyone knows he is gone though, why do you completely strip your team of assets in a trade then? You agree they would not have been competive this year anyway. That trade offer was garbage, and the Lakers are lucky that Demps was willing to screw the Pelicans over to prove a point.

I think they'd have a better chance to land one of the big FA's if they had AD and Lebron.

But not landing one of them wouldn't necessarily keep them from being contenders. They could still get there by signing the right "2nd tier/near max" type players. Especially if KD left the Warriors.

As long as KD stays with the Warriors, the rest of the league is playing for 2nd place.

But, if he leaves (and many think he will), then signing the right "2nd tier/near max" type players would put them right in the mix of contending teams.

Personally, I'd almost rather that they trade for a guy like Bradley Beal and sign a guy like Vucevic or Boogie than trade for AD.

Obviously, if they can get AD, they kind of have to. But getting a guy like Beal and Vucevic or Boogie, puts them in the mix if KD leaves and wouldn't cost as many as assets as AD.