• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why does it seem like most teams are always building for the future, while not caring to win today in the present?

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the funniest part of this is the next top QB coming out of college being Brady, while Brady was a 6th round pick.

The six quarterbacks drafted before Brady in 2000 were Chad Pennington, Giovanni Carmazzi, Chris Redman, Tee Martin, Marc Bulger and Spergon Wynn.

Yeah, gotta google some of those names right? To me this is why New England could not stand drafting Mac Jones in the first round. Look what happened with that one. My bigger problem is the madhouse fans dubbing the drafted player a franchise QB. Let the guy play one game, or one season. Gotta say the argument for QB development is in Green Bay. Have a franchise guy, instead of getting him weapons, pick another first round QB to piss him off, then do it all over again. I really hope Aaron Rodgers finds his way to minnesota next year somehow to truly duplicate Favres career. Sure seems that is what it takes. Seen far too many ruined playing too early than world beaters. Worst part in Chicago is we not only had Dalton, we also had Foles, so there was a clear path to making fields watch the entire first season. If he was in Green Bay, he would have sat 3.

We should probably be honest about Brady going to New England in the first place. He wasn't drafted as a savior or even a need. At the time the Pats had Bledsoe and they picked Brady because many teams pick later round QBs to see if they develop into something. To believe that they somehow knew he'd become the 7 time Superbowl winner is just ridiculous. At the time they picked him, I'm guessing they were thinking if he could develop they'd trade him for something the team needed in a couple years.

As far as the Packers run with QBs goes, they did the same thing for years with picking later round QBs, developing them and then trading them for draft picks. That they took Rodgers and Love in the first round kind of made sense at the time. The guy playing was getting older and they knew at some point they'd have to move on. While both were disappointed they didn't get help they wanted, at some point you would have to think reality would sink in that nobody plays forever. It was still up to the team to develop them, and probably more so the player to develop. In that respect the Packers probably got lucky, and so far I still don't know if Love is going to be in the same category as Favre and Rodgers. Odds say he won't, but at this point I personally want him to play and figure it out without detractors and supporters going overboard. I know for sure that won't happen as they're too stupid to realize things change daily in the NFL, and they don't know for sure his make up.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you can rebuild more quickly in the NFL than any other sport. You just need to find the pieces. After drafting Burrow, the Bengals turned a corner in their 2nd year. The Texans are experiencing this for a 2nd time now with Stroud but prior to that Watson turned them around quickly. Trevor Lawrence same deal in Jacksonville. It’s not coincidence all the people I’ve mentioned are QBs. It’s all about that chase to find and develop a franchise QB.
If you fuck up an MLB team bad it'll take a bunch of HS draftees around 6 years on average to make it to the bigs just so you can find out they probably aren't all that.

If you fuck up an NFL team bad you're one lucky draft stumbling into a QB to being a playoff team.

If you fuck up an NBA team you tank until you get a star that makes the roster otherwise untankable. Repeat until true.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should probably be honest about Brady going to New England in the first place. He wasn't drafted as a savior or even a need. At the time the Pats had Bledsoe and they picked Brady because many teams pick later round QBs to see if they develop into something. To believe that they somehow knew he'd become the 7 time Superbowl winner is just ridiculous. At the time they picked him, I'm guessing they were thinking if he could develop they'd trade him for something the team needed in a couple years.

As far as the Packers run with QBs goes, they did the same thing for years with picking later round QBs, developing them and then trading them for draft picks. That they took Rodgers and Love in the first round kind of made sense at the time. The guy playing was getting older and they knew at some point they'd have to move on. While both were disappointed they didn't get help they wanted, at some point you would have to think reality would sink in that nobody plays forever. It was still up to the team to develop them, and probably more so the player to develop. In that respect the Packers probably got lucky, and so far I still don't know if Love is going to be in the same category as Favre and Rodgers. Odds say he won't, but at this point I personally want him to play and figure it out without detractors and supporters going overboard. I know for sure that won't happen as they're too stupid to realize things change daily in the NFL, and they don't know for sure his make up.
Love looked rough starting out, but sure seems to be making those plays we expect Fields to make, look like you are running and as soon as the cover guy becomes your tackler, toss the ball right past him. Either way, over the past 25 or so years, they have had 3 quarterbacks, I think the bears are in the 30's. I was begging for the bears to red shirt fields the entire year, if not two, especially since we had the likes of Dalton and Foles to play enough to stay in the top ten of the draft.
I know Brady was the anomaly. but for years there were teams trying to get that guy late in a draft. They seem to have gone away from it, but with Purdy now, seems like there might be players out there. Bagent could have been that guy for the bears, but our fans simply will not allow it.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love looked rough starting out, but sure seems to be making those plays we expect Fields to make, look like you are running and as soon as the cover guy becomes your tackler, toss the ball right past him. Either way, over the past 25 or so years, they have had 3 quarterbacks, I think the bears are in the 30's. I was begging for the bears to red shirt fields the entire year, if not two, especially since we had the likes of Dalton and Foles to play enough to stay in the top ten of the draft.
I know Brady was the anomaly. but for years there were teams trying to get that guy late in a draft. They seem to have gone away from it, but with Purdy now, seems like there might be players out there. Bagent could have been that guy for the bears, but our fans simply will not allow it.

I think back to Fields rookie year and how the fans were begging for him to start. As I recall Nagy stated very frankly that he wasn't ready but finally had no choice but to buckle under the pressure and throw him in. He wasn't ready, but made big plays with his legs. The idiots begging for him to start rejoiced that they had "the guy". The reason he was running is because he couldn't read the D, and was probably thinking in his head that he had it figured out, or it all else fails I'll just run and all will be good. Probably the worst thing that could've happened to him. He never figured out how to read a D, or completely read a D and when tape on him got out, here his is. Kind of like Vince Young, think they know what they're doing and are basically clueless. That brings me to who is at fault for this, all of them, coaches, Fields, dummy fans that can't shut up....you can keep going if you want.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think back to Fields rookie year and how the fans were begging for him to start. As I recall Nagy stated very frankly that he wasn't ready but finally had no choice but to buckle under the pressure and throw him in. He wasn't ready, but made big plays with his legs. The idiots begging for him to start rejoiced that they had "the guy". The reason he was running is because he couldn't read the D, and was probably thinking in his head that he had it figured out, or it all else fails I'll just run and all will be good. Probably the worst thing that could've happened to him. He never figured out how to read a D, or completely read a D and when tape on him got out, here his is. Kind of like Vince Young, think they know what they're doing and are basically clueless. That brings me to who is at fault for this, all of them, coaches, Fields, dummy fans that can't shut up....you can keep going if you want.
yes, so refreshing that someone understands. One of the idiots doing more than begging for him to start was the team president, or board member, clueless to development. Caught up in the fans using QB1 as soon as he was drafted. Best case was scratching him every game, because even using him like the other smart poster here as a gadget guy those first games would have made it even worse. I think Nagy was about guaranteed to get fired if he did not play him. More mindless thoughts since Nagy would have been paid while out of work anyway. And the only job Nagy could actually be an offensive coordinator and call his own plays was if he was a head coach. Now Nagy is calling plays in KC again and look at them drop to a wild card.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yes, so refreshing that someone understands. One of the idiots doing more than begging for him to start was the team president, or board member, clueless to development. Caught up in the fans using QB1 as soon as he was drafted. Best case was scratching him every game, because even using him like the other smart poster here as a gadget guy those first games would have made it even worse. I think Nagy was about guaranteed to get fired if he did not play him. More mindless thoughts since Nagy would have been paid while out of work anyway. And the only job Nagy could actually be an offensive coordinator and call his own plays was if he was a head coach. Now Nagy is calling plays in KC again and look at them drop to a wild card.

Eh......each and every player is their own identity.

I think the best way for a qb to learn is to get out there and play......

Good thing the last years 1-15 Texans placced Stroud in there day, oneotherwise they would not be on the brink for the playoffs......
Same can be said for TLaw.......

If it was not for Fields,how do you know he cant read defenses....??....year 3 is almost over and he still cant hang on to a football and still cant read defenses.....

Only way to know is to play.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh......each and every player is their own identity.

I think the best way for a qb to learn is to get out there and play......

Good thing the last years 1-15 Texans placced Stroud in there day, oneotherwise they would not be on the brink for the playoffs......
Same can be said for TLaw.......

If it was not for Fields,how do you know he cant read defenses....??....year 3 is almost over and he still cant hang on to a football and still cant read defenses.....

Only way to know is to play.
I agree, but playing when you are ready is a big difference. Watching what Favre did for 3 years is different than pouting and not paying attention. You pay attention to learn from the mistakes, not learn from the great plays. Even Mahomes sat for 16 games, got in a prevent injury game and beat Denver, then sat again for the playoff game they lost. Its a chicken or the egg argument when we know the one that came first was the rooster if you want to get new chickens.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, but playing when you are ready is a big difference. Watching what Favre did for 3 years is different than pouting and not paying attention. You pay attention to learn from the mistakes, not learn from the great plays. Even Mahomes sat for 16 games, got in a prevent injury game and beat Denver, then sat again for the playoff game they lost. Its a chicken or the egg argument when we know the one that came first was the rooster if you want to get new chickens.

No one knew what Mahomes was gonna be,otherwise he would have started from day one......He was thrusted into the right situation with Tyreke Hill.
Mahomes I believe would have been Mahomes right from the get go being in KC.......anyplace else,I dunno,and no one ever will.

Playem....I say.....playem.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This just kind of bugs me about today's nfl. Seems like teams would rather tank during the current season and plan to get the best draft choice during the following year's draft so they can win in the future. Everyone thinks the "next" top QB coming out of college is going to be the next Brady. Then they stick that QB out there whether they are ready or not because they are the future, no matter how many games they lose. Often times, they could win now or at least have a better product for the fans who are watching now. Tom Brady's are few and far between and possibly a one-time thing that will never be seen again. I think teams should quit banking on the sure thing that never pan's out. I hate to use Dalton as an example, but Chicago probably could have put a better product on the field and won a few more games over the last 3 years with Dalton rather than banking of Field's becoming the next great thing. Instead they have gone backwards. A team should have 3 qb's and let them duke it out in preseason and play who is the best right now, not who might have a better upside next season.
What gets me is you got so many bust Qbs taken in the top 5. The NFL was smart when the dealt with these bust QBs being the highest paid on the team.

Even your QB I was not sure about,but Burrow though has lived up to it and proven to be a franchise QB.

When guys like Peyton Manning, Andrew Luck and Trevor Lawrence came out to me those looked like sure things to me.

Then you got guys like Fields and Trey Lance who were busts for where they were taken. Both may eventually emerge eventually,but who knows.

Then on the flip side you got guys like Purdy,Hurts and Dak who were taken later and those guys have done great things for where they were drafted.

Brady was considered trash coming out.

It is a crapshoot

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA was a failed league and the Sixers breathed life into it again.

More like puked on it. When is that Sixers parade coming? 2035? I know, I know, the process....

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mahomes was a fantasic HS shortstop. Cannon arm from deep in the hole. Thought back then this was his ticket with his Dad being a former major league.

It shows in his odd arm angles on some of his throws. Stafford played baseball too, also uses sidearm quite a bit.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It shows in his odd arm angles on some of his throws. Stafford played baseball too, also uses sidearm quite a bit.
one of my sons played against Highland Park in HS who had Stafford and Kershaw in the playoffs.

we were sweep in 2

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More like puked on it. When is that Sixers parade coming? 2035? I know, I know, the process....
Be careful with this shit. The Lakers are about to fire Ham and hire Doc Rivers.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Be careful with this shit. The Lakers are about to fire Ham and hire Doc Rivers.

OK (Ham) and I hope not (Doc). Lakers are definitely pissing down their leg currently. The constant flux in lineups isn't letting their 1st and 2nd teams develop as a unit, but their issues are deeper than just that and the injuries.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK (Ham) and I hope not (Doc). Lakers are definitely pissing down their leg currently. The constant flux in lineups isn't letting their 1st and 2nd teams develop as a unit, but their issues are deeper than just that and the injuries.

They just need to be around .500 in March. That's when the season really kicks in. Those last 20-25 games are the tune up for the playoffs. If you are around .500, you just need to win about 15-18 of those last 20-25 games and you should be a playoff lock.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've been educated on this a number of times, but probably can't remember. The jewish commissioner put his sex slave bryan colangelo in charge of the sixers to torpedo their rise to the top.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s probably only 5-6 teams with a chance every year. If you aren’t one of those teams, you want to look at the future.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've been educated on this a number of times, but probably can't remember. The jewish commissioner put his sex slave bryan colangelo in charge of the sixers to torpedo their rise to the top.

He's been gone since May 2018. Move on.

He didn't select MCW or Okafor. He didn't trade away Mikal Bridges.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's been gone since May 2018. Move on.

He didn't select MCW or Okafor. He didn't trade away Mikal Bridges.
MCW was an exceptional piece of asset work. He was almost outside of the top ten. He was traded for a first and a swap. Ironically, that resulted in the Sixers getting the 3rd pick the Fultz year and Colangelo fucked up that pick. I’ll give ya Okafor over Porzingas though. Bridges trade is still on Adam Silver and the Colangelo Clan because Burner Gate had just concluded, Colangelo was fired and the Sixers had Brett Brown and an inexperienced promoted before he was ready Elton Brand running the front office. Years later, Elton is a GM in name only. Morey runs the show. Bridges trade is on Adam Silver’s fuckery as well.

When will Silver clean house in the Pistons front office? They’re arguably worse than a Hincke team.