• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

So, Who's the moron that said the Lakers are the better-operated franchise than the Cavs?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury-prone players tend to not get healthier as they get into the latter part of their career's.
On that I agree....I don't know if he can be healthy but not sure he really slows down much by age 32, which was the age mentioned

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF the Cavs get a top 3 pick they will be in very very good shape moving forward.

If its Zion- I mean- LeBron will be counting down the days until he can return.

I am very interested in what the Cavs do next trade deadline.

They have 2 options

1. Roll over all their expiring contracts for more bad contracts and picks- like they did this year- except they will be primed to get even better assets as guys like TT, Clarkson, Henson (and maybe even Knight and Delly) should be able to all be solid role players on a playoff contender;

or

2. Let those guys expire and jump into free agency.

I am really not sure which way I would advocate. Both sides have interesting ups and downs. If they punt once again on their cap space they could without a doubt add a haul better than the one they got this summer to their future asset war chest. If they jump into free agency and "go for it" it will be a lot funner to watch the team come the following season---- but it might be premature to make that move.

I have faith that they will make the right choice. If they end up rolling it over and take on bad contracts for another year---- then that following year they will be absolutely primed--- but do we really want to have 3 bad years in a row?

I guess it depends on what pick we get- if we get Zion- I mean- its balls to the wall I would think.

If they get the 6th pick in the draft- which is a very real possibility- then maybe its roll over the cap space another year.

A lot of it will depend on who they draft. 2019 into 2020 is a BIG year, they could get a top 3 pick or #1 pick and a lot of expiring contracts. We might see a lot of moves happen again at the trade deadline.

TT
J.R.
Knight
Henson
Delly
Clark

All are expiring.

The one guy I would want to sign depending on who they draft or pick up in the offseason is Clarkson. He could be a great 6th man but at what price?
Unless TT signs a new contract at a lower number I expect everyone to be dealt or gone by the 2020 deadline or 2020-2021 offseason.

Love
Nance
Sexton
Osman
Zizic
Top 3 pick (most likely)

Will be a good core and plenty of cap space, probably around $60M or so. If they were to get Zion than attracting FA would be a little easier imo when you have Love being a veteran with a championship and a great young core with Zion, Sexton, Osman and Nance. I'm just wondering who they could attract but a lot time away bc a lot could happen in this time.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, love is the one tricky spot. I would personally trade him for a lottery pick, if that option came available. They got a first round pick for hill. That will be a tough decision going forward. His contract may be up by then, so maybe they just don't resign him and go after someone else, if by then it's not working

The longer they wait to trade him, the less value he has. I mean especially if he just keeps getting injured. I don't expect him to go anywhere though. They signed him long-term for a reason but if a great offer comes in I wouldn't be opposed to it depending on how their roster looks at the time.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF Love can stay healthy not sure what type of decline he sees at 32. Not like his success was because of speed or athleticism.

32 is around the time that big men (generally) start to decline. Take a look at Dirk. He posted 23 and 7 at age 32 which was still great, but after that year it was a slow decline, less games played, more injuries and less overall production.

Take a look at the dip Paul Millsap has had recently. He's not a guy who really relied on athleticism. He is a positional rebounder and skilled offensive player, but his decline has come too.

Charles Barkley went through a massive regression after 32. Duncan steadily declined after that. KG, Webber.

Karl Malone seems to be a guy who played well after 32 for a few more years. The most recent guys I can think of that had success after 32 was Pau Gasol who made two all star teams, and Lamarcus Aldridge.

But you also have to factor that Love has a long list of injuries in his career. There's nothing to say he will decline and I'm not stating it will happen, but the odds are against him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
32 is around the time that big men (generally) start to decline. Take a look at Dirk. He posted 23 and 7 at age 32 which was still great, but after that year it was a slow decline, less games played, more injuries and less overall production.

Take a look at the dip Paul Millsap has had recently. He's not a guy who really relied on athleticism. He is a positional rebounder and skilled offensive player, but his decline has come too.

Charles Barkley went through a massive regression after 32. Duncan steadily declined after that. KG, Webber.

Karl Malone seems to be a guy who played well after 32 for a few more years. The most recent guys I can think of that had success after 32 was Pau Gasol who made two all star teams, and Lamarcus Aldridge.

But you also have to factor that Love has a long list of injuries in his career. There's nothing to say he will decline and I'm not stating it will happen, but the odds are against him.
Well he's definitely gonna decline, but the question is when does it become a sharp decline. Thinking most or all the guys you mentioned are more athletic than Love. we'll see.

Injuries a real concern, of course

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he's definitely gonna decline, but the question is when does it become a sharp decline. Thinking most or all the guys you mentioned are more athletic than Love. we'll see.

Injuries a real concern, of course

The injuries won't, imo, affect his shooting and rebounding. Those I think are two things that will stand up with his game even during decline. What would be more concerning is basically if his injuries cause him to lose even more lateral movement or agility in order to at least put up an effort to defend. There could be a real scenario where he becomes more of a liability than asset in terms of big minute play. I think certainly he could be great in 20-25 minutes a game, but you'll be paying him for much more than that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The injuries won't, imo, affect his shooting and rebounding. Those I think are two things that will stand up with his game even during decline. What would be more concerning is basically if his injuries cause him to lose even more lateral movement or agility in order to at least put up an effort to defend. There could be a real scenario where he becomes more of a liability than asset in terms of big minute play. I think certainly he could be great in 20-25 minutes a game, but you'll be paying him for much more than that.
All great points. As I've mentioned earlier today was something that is not considered enough with him. The effort is always there with him (and the smarts/understanding of the game). I think you are more talking about losing ability than effort.....which is not a good thing for a player.

I think next year should tell us a lot more with Love, especially if Cavs are looking to compete.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, that's right. :doh:

That would basically be everyone on the board sans for Wiggy and myself.

If having the best player in the world is the key to guaranteed titles, you would think the Lakers would be better than nine games under .500, injuries or not. I think it's safe to assume that LeBron's supporting cast during those four consecutive finals years in Cleveland had more to do with their success than most wish to believe.

And if Dan Gilbert was such a shitty owner - Why on earth would he let his young GM operate into the luxury tax on a bad basketball team for the sole purpose of stockpiling draft picks??? The fact remains that those that hate on Gilbert are fairweather fans still bitter over his 2010 post, and in fact know absolutely nothing else about the man.

Someone on RealGM put it perfectly in that the Laker dynasty days had in fact died with Dr. Buss, and all that remains are that the self-entitled fans and the media hype.

Everyone on the board? Get the fuck outta here w/ that steaming pile of BS. And it's funny how injuries are valid for all teams not named the Lakers.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone on the board? Get the fuck outta here w/ that steaming pile of BS. And it's funny how injuries are valid for all teams not named the Lakers.
True, but also injuries overplayed a bit for LA. Indiana has had some issues. Portland (though more recent).

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but also injuries overplayed a bit for LA. Indiana has had some issues. Portland (though more recent).

Overplayed? I don't think that's the case. Don't feel like looking it up but the Lakers had a terrible record the 15 (or however many it was) games LeBron missed. Ingram was a starter & now lost for the season due to health issues. Their backcourt of Rondo & Ball missed a bunch of games.

I don't think there's a team in the league that could have their best player + 3 other players that got alotta minutes miss as much time as those players have & be expected to even finish w/ a .500 record, let alone sneak into the playoffs.

And dammit I really dislike sticking up for the Lakers.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:pound:

@WiggyRuss

HELL YEAH! Get those rainbows flowing. You Rainbow Warrior.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your post was passive aggressive horse shit based upon nothing.

id give it a double, nay triple, rainbow, if available.

You really are a very special kind of stupid over the top homer.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, he IS the guy that predicted a decade of Mayfield dominance over Mahomes...

wiggy's more full of shit than a clogged toilet. You won't see me comparing Mayfield to any QB's.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, he IS the guy that predicted a decade of Mayfield dominance over Mahomes...

Coming out of college, I predicted Mayfield to be similiar type of player to Aaron Rodgers. After one year, premature but it is a fair comparison really. Like I said, only time will tell.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coming out of college, I predicted Mayfield to be similiar type of player to Aaron Rodgers. After one year, premature but it is a fair comparison really. Like I said, only time will tell.

agreed, though if only you actually saw Rodgers at Cal you'd know how high of a bar that truly is...

vs. USC the guy maybe missed 1 pass...

and those were the Pete Carroll years...