• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should The NCAA Form a Separate Sub-Division For G5 Conferences?

Should G5 Teams Have Their Own Sub-Division?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So put you in that pathetic "Auburn didn't want to be there" mantra?
No, just put me in the correct "UCF didn't deserve to be in the playoff" mantra. I don't know how Auburn approached that game, but beating them doesn't automatically make you a top 4 team either.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they want to incentivize teams who miss the playoff and make a NY6 bowl, give the players something to play for other than a trophy. Make the bowl gift packages for each player ‘X’ for the losing team, and ‘Y’ for the winning team.

You can’t hand out cash, but the players get gift cards etc from the sponsors, make it worthwhile to win the game for the players. You may not end up with a team who just goes they the motions because they lost a chance for a national title?

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating a team that themselves was not in the playoffs, doesn't justify any notion that team was playoff worthy.

UCF didn't get screwed in any way.

College football at the FBS level is entirely unfair. It is completely unfair even within the P5 conferences, more or less the smaller G5 level. It will always be unfair and entirely imbalanced. Just a fact. It can't be fixed. Kids get to pick where they want to go to school. Period. As long as that's true, they will always pick the more glorious option almost exclusively and we always have this imbalance.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should African slaves have been grateful that they were provided housing and food?
I don't recall slaves having a choice.

I haven't read anything about a shotgun forcing any team to play another. I'd be against that though.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean if you are resorting to comparing smaller schools playing in a bigger pool to african slavery, haven't you already lost?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating a team that themselves was not in the playoffs, doesn't justify any notion that team was playoff worthy.

UCF didn't get screwed in any way.

College football at the FBS level is entirely unfair. It is completely unfair even within the P5 conferences, more or less the smaller G5 level. It will always be unfair and entirely imbalanced. Just a fact. It can't be fixed. Kids get to pick where they want to go to school. Period. As long as that's true, they will always pick the more glorious option almost exclusively and we always have this imbalance.

Ding, ding, ding.........winner!!! There is NO SUCH THING as a level playing field in the CFB. The top schools with the deepest pockets and biggest brand will always get the top recruits and almost exclusively dominant the CFP picks.

I just said in another thread — you could literally give someone the choice of 10-12 teams and the national champion will come from that group pretty much every year for the next decade, the next two decades, etc.

There is nothing the NCAA can do, because they can’t force elite prospects to go to certain schools, so the deep pockets, blue blood programs will continue to dominate the CFP landscape.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is UCF spent the month not giving a fuck because they weren't selected to the CFP.

Didn't seem that way to me.

Roll UCF!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point was the G5's should just be grateful for making some $$scratch off of playing P5's. Not enough to ever have equal rights to P5's though as the wealth window will always continue to grow with tv contracts, CFP bowl payouts, etc.

The P5's always have the 'eye test' to fall back on. Just like slave owners had the skin color eye test to fall back on.

Last edited:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The point was the G5's should just be grateful for making some $$scratch off of playing P5's. Not enough to ever have equal rights to P5's though as the wealth window will always continue to grow.

The P5's always have the 'eye test' to fall back on. Just like slave owners had the skin color eye test to fall back on.
:wtf:

Many of those G5's only have the athletics they do because of the extra income they get from playing P5's and from the bowl game pool. Without that money not only might they not have football, but probably other sports at their schools.

Their own conferences decide how many games they play against each other. It's their choice. Those schools then decide who they will play OOC. Again, entirely their choice. Of course they go into very overmatched games knowing they are paid to lose and yet they do it anyway because it's their choice.

You actually believe there is a price point at which they would become competitive and are being kept down to avoid that? :L

They have 'equal rights' now. At least in the area you are on about. They do not have equal representation at the NCAA meetings and that's because the power teams threatened to leave the NCAA if they weren't given more voice. That is an injustice for sure, but again one those G5 schools gladly took to not be left out. It's another sign the G5's desperately need the P5's FAR more than the other way around which again blows up the premise laid out in this poll.

I'll say this yet once again: UCF didn't play anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period.

Play and beat a team that shows you belong. Then, and only then, do you deserve a playoff spot.

Would it be fair to a P5 team sitting at #5 being bumped for a team with a drastically worse SoS just in the name of some fairness agenda that isn't reachable to begin with? No, it's not. SoS MUST be a factor in any discussion of playoffs at this level. No auto bids and no other artificial means of adding in teams otherwise not earning a slot through play on the field. As long as you have this much imbalance you MUST have SoS to keep things in perspective. Period.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss to Iowa was an outlier. A flyer, in gun shooter's parlance. It is so statistically diverse from the rest of their games that it can be discounted, not highlighted. I thought you knew statistics.

OSU beat at least 2 teams higher ranked than your highest ranked win. They had a conference championship, you do not. (one of the string criteria). That balances out, IMO. You can disagree, but that's just your opinion. Both are opinions. Has there been a release by the committee stating exactly why Alabama over OSU?

A 31 point loss to ANY team is not an outlier, much less one to a team like Iowa.

If you are unable to see that, nothing I can say really.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should African slaves have been grateful that they were provided housing and food?
K9O6D.gif

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oklahoma wasn't on that list.

You are right, I misread it. They stated they qualified with the last 3 classes at 51% blue chip recruits, when it went to the 4th they missed by a few % points.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High level P5's are for sure Peacocks strutting their pretty plumage to attract attention.

All of the rest of us are more like crows fighting over whatever is left. The rest of the P5's that aren't those elite exclusive teams just simply are bigger crows that feast on more of those leftovers.

The vast majority of P5 teams will never sniff the playoffs. This isn't trivial to this conversation. Generally there is always a chance an outlier has a crazy run and they would get in before a G5 does, but it's still going to be rare. They first had to at least have ran their own conference which adds much more to their SoS than a G5 can possibly do, even if they scheduled only P5's for every OOC game they had. Washington was one of those outliers last year. It has paid off in even better recruiting this year which might move them closer to Peacock status if they can keep trending up. But this is what it takes. You can't reach that level with one crazy season. And again it's because getting those top tier athletes to your school is entirely everything at maintaining any kind of year in and year out real chance.

Dumping G5 schools into their own division will do nothing at all to change any of that. It will cut down the money available to those conferences and not impact the P5's even one tiny bit. This is why that hasn't happened. It is the ONLY reason it hasn't happened. They know full well it's not in their best interest to do so.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely wanted to win and didn't want to lose, but, they definitely didn't have the same intensity as they would have had something been on the line.

I enjoyed seeing Auburn losing to a G5 team more than the next guy, but using it as a way of validating UCF as a legit title contender is ridiculous.

I just don't think we're going to agree on this. Most players these days are hoping for a shot at the next level. You're telling me that a running back wouldn't try to put up over 200 yards if they could or that a DE wouldn't want to sack the QB multiple times? There are other reasons to "play hard".

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think we're going to agree on this. Most players these days are hoping for a shot at the next level. You're telling me that a running back wouldn't try to put up over 200 yards if they could or that a DE wouldn't want to sack the QB multiple times? There are other reasons to "play hard".

Uh, you have players with NFL prospects sitting out also ran bowls. They damn sure don't want to get injured in an also ran bowl game against UCF.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slavery isn't the right analogy at all.

Think of this more like what happens in almost every state with districts either wanting to break off to form their own city/county/state or continue to have their vote mean less when they are in smaller areas than the larger voting population.

What keeps most of those efforts from happening is those smaller communities rely heavily on police/fire/services and other resources from those larger communities and without them they would not have those services at the same level.

They continue to live in areas where their vote nearly doesn't count, or at least doesn't change things because they cannot live without the money.

And they all choose to do so of their own free will when the votes come up. No one holds a gun to their heads and begs them to stay.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention Auburn beat Georgia and Alabama in November.

The SEC honks justification used to be...."Their (SEC team) loss was way back in August/September. They are a better team now."

The goalposts are continually moved for tSEC.

I think he knows we're right, he just doesn't want to admit it. When you see a team beat another on the field, what other conclusion can you come to?

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Iowa is just a better team than Ohio St.

And you pretend like Ohio St should have made the playoffs.

:lol:

My guess is Auburn spent the month not giving a fuck because it was UCF. Which is fucking awesome btw.

On that day Iowa was better. You guys are acting like UCF can never and will enver compete w/the top of the SEC.. even after we saw them prove it on the field.