• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should The NCAA Form a Separate Sub-Division For G5 Conferences?

Should G5 Teams Have Their Own Sub-Division?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, you have players with NFL prospects sitting out also ran bowls. They damn sure don't want to get injured in an also ran bowl game against UCF.

If you're a pussy you sit out. By the way, much respect for Sam Darnold who played his heart out even after being named the likely top QB in the draft.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if we had a 4 team playoff before now, we know we would have had a G5 in the playoffs at least once. In 2010 TCU finished 3rd in the BCS standings and almost surely would have been at least 4th in our current committee format.

While there is a slim chance, it's still a chance. TCU had the ranking they did that year because they played and beat two ranked P5 teams that season and had a few other games against at least decent P5 and solid G5 programs.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're a pussy you sit out. By the way, much respect for Sam Darnold who played his heart out even after being named the likely top QB in the draft.

I definitely respect Darnold a lot more than a guy like Rosen.

I wish NFL teams would take a stand and refuse to draft players that sit out their bowl game in the first round because they're concerned about their commitment to their teammates, but as long as their draft stock remains unaffected, players will continue to sit out.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On that day Iowa was better. You guys are acting like UCF can never and will enver compete w/the top of the SEC.. even after we saw them prove it on the field.

No, you guys are the one claiming it means more than it does.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outlier. Statistically irrelevant

In 13 games?

It would appear Alabama making the playoffs proves your theory on relevance to be extremely wrong.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final solution: Kick the fuckin SEC out of the NCAA. 4 conferences, 4 champions play in the playoffs. Then if sombody wants to lay out another billion or so, just have a scrimmage in Jerry's World

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tell that to Jaylen Smith who went from top 5 draft pick to tumbling down draft boards and losing millions in a pointless bowl game. Same thing with Jake Butt. He was pegged as a late 1st to 2nd round pick — he blows his knee out in a meaningless bowl game and drops to the 5th round.

It isn’t ‘being a pussy’ — it is the fact, the bowl games outside the CFP mean very little and risking injury before the draft in a meaningless game doesn’t make sense.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wish NFL teams would take a stand and refuse to draft players that sit out their bowl game in the first round because they're concerned about their commitment to their teammates, but as long as their draft stock remains unaffected, players will continue to sit out.

Why would NFL teams care? The risk/reward for the top players makes the decision a no-brainer in my opinion. Contracts in the NFL are only guaranteed in the 1st 4 rounds of the draft , I believe. If you are projected to go in the first 4 rounds — does it make sense to go play in the Idaho Potato Bowl and risk injury. Teams have years of film to judge you on — one more game isn’t going to do much. Also, those leaving for the NFL have the combine to train for too, risking injury and being unable to participate in that will hurt them too.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

Many of those G5's only have the athletics they do because of the extra income they get from playing P5's and from the bowl game pool. Without that money not only might they not have football, but probably other sports at their schools.

Their own conferences decide how many games they play against each other. It's their choice. Those schools then decide who they will play OOC. Again, entirely their choice. Of course they go into very overmatched games knowing they are paid to lose and yet they do it anyway because it's their choice.

You actually believe there is a price point at which they would become competitive and are being kept down to avoid that? :L

They have 'equal rights' now. At least in the area you are on about. They do not have equal representation at the NCAA meetings and that's because the power teams threatened to leave the NCAA if they weren't given more voice. That is an injustice for sure, but again one those G5 schools gladly took to not be left out. It's another sign the G5's desperately need the P5's FAR more than the other way around which again blows up the premise laid out in this poll.

I'll say this yet once again: UCF didn't play anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period.

Play and beat a team that shows you belong. Then, and only then, do you deserve a playoff spot.

Would it be fair to a P5 team sitting at #5 being bumped for a team with a drastically worse SoS just in the name of some fairness agenda that isn't reachable to begin with? No, it's not. SoS MUST be a factor in any discussion of playoffs at this level. No auto bids and no other artificial means of adding in teams otherwise not earning a slot through play on the field. As long as you have this much imbalance you MUST have SoS to keep things in perspective. Period.

Maryland, Illinois, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Syracuse, Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Nebraska, Rutgers, LSU, Oregon St, Stanford, Oregon, Texas Tech, Virginia, and Auburn are fine examples of a strong SOS.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if we had a 4 team playoff before now, we know we would have had a G5 in the playoffs at least once. In 2010 TCU finished 3rd in the BCS standings and almost surely would have been at least 4th in our current committee format.

While there is a slim chance, it's still a chance. TCU had the ranking they did that year because they played and beat two ranked P5 teams that season and had a few other games against at least decent P5 and solid G5 programs.

You don't know that when the selection committee is made up entirely of humans with subjective minds.

TCU would not have had the computer components or the poll components this time around. The computers awarded extra points for wins.
TCU was #3 in the final regular season poll because they weren't a threat to the P5's NC there.

As for the rest of your blather...
Oregon St (5-7) did not finish the 'regular season' ranked and their highest ranking was #24.
Baylor (7-5) did not finish the 'regular season' ranked and their highest ranking was also #22.
TCU played NO OTHER P5's.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. We'll give you a Lifetime Achievement Award and bar you from competing.

That'll be more than we deserve if we don't beat Georgia.

Otherwise, the trophy has already been taken care of.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maryland, Illinois, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona St, Syracuse, Baylor, Duke, Kansas, Nebraska, Rutgers, LSU, Oregon St, Stanford, Oregon, Texas Tech, Virginia, and Auburn are fine examples of a strong SOS.
Which of those teams again are in the playoffs this year? Right. So what's your point?

UCF didn't get screwed. This is a pure fact by any measure. All of the teams you mentioned at least played more than one slappy P5 all year. And all of the ones you mentioned had losses so they weren't worthy.

You don't know that when the selection committee is made up entirely of humans with subjective minds.

TCU would not have had the computer components or the poll components this time around. The computers awarded extra points for wins.
TCU was #3 in the final regular season poll because they weren't a threat to the P5's NC there.

As for the rest of your blather...
Oregon St (5-7) did not finish the 'regular season' ranked and their highest ranking was #24.
Baylor (7-5) did not finish the 'regular season' ranked and their highest ranking was also #22.
TCU played NO OTHER P5's.
:lol:

Funny you are pissing all over the place over speculative bullshit and yet have the unmitigated gall to talk about someone else 'blathering'. That's some deep bonus levels of hypocrisy there.

Fact:
One of the seasons that lead to the BCS was the never ending controversy over BYU's title in '84. It was talked about quite often in the lead up to that formation. It was a principle goal that never again should a title be handed out to an unproven unbeaten team. It is one of the foundations the entire thing was built on.

There is zero interest ever again of doing such a stupid thing. Want to call yourself champion? Beat teams that PROVE it.

What was UCF's signature win in their season that the committee should have considered strong enough to be top 5 worthy? Number of wins alone will not EVER be enough for ANYONE.

As for that human element, they too feel the pressure to put a G5 in. Had we been in a playoff system for more than a decade that pressure to bump up someone from 5 or maybe 6 would for sure weigh in at some point. I have zero doubt about that at all.

I would guess it might have pushed Boise up in one of their years, like maybe '06?

And TCU winning at then #6 Utah late in the season was a signature win that almost surely would have put them in. Where is UCF's win against a top 10 ranked team this year? I'll wait for that reply (knowing you won't answer it).

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I should have added that it probably reduces the overall money the G5 conferences get as some of those bowl paydays are for sure higher than what they would generate from their own playoffs. Meanwhile, there would still be enough bowl games to keep the money more or less the same for all P5 conference bowl income.

Who wins with this again?
From this article, it looks like the 62 teams in the American, C-USA, MAC, MWC and Sun Belt share $81.32 million from their collective bowl tie ins... or approximately $1.3 million each. The AAC gets an additional $4 million for UCF qualifying for the G5 spot this year.

www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2017/12/30/college-football-playoff-payouts-by-conference-for-2017-2018/#2d21332b2704

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed. Seeing these players starting to sit out shakes my faith a bit. If something like this starts to become the widespread norm, I doubt I'll continue to watch.