• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time for CFP/NCAA to change selection rules.

SignalBama

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the computers don't agree with you on the BIG.
What computers are we trying to use ? Listen I get the computers have value. But they don't take in everything that is important. Look at the B1G right now Half of their Offenses are ranked 116th or worse. Literally half of the Offenses that Play in the B1G are bottom of the Barrel. It literally turned the B1G into a 3 team schedule this season. Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan. No one else had a real chance at that conference when you look at NCAA stats. Because no one else in that conference could reliably play good enough Offense to challenge the 3 teams mentioned. BTW this isn't conjecture by me. It is literally the reality of the B1G right now and probably why they needed to expand. Just look at 130 through 116 on this list. That conference is in shambles Offensively. NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com

Computers aren't computing properly if they are rating a conference strong with Offensive teams that are that inept at moving the Football up and down the field. This isn't just against Good Defensive teams. These are Offenses that struggle to move the ball against ANYONE they play.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What computers are we trying to use ? Listen I get the computers have value. But they don't take in everything that is important. Look at the B1G right now Half of their Offenses are ranked 116th or worse. Literally half of the Offenses that Play in the B1G are bottom of the Barrel. It literally turned the B1G into a 3 team schedule this season. Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan. No one else had a real chance at that conference when you look at NCAA stats. Because no one else in that conference could reliably play good enough Offense to challenge the 3 teams mentioned. BTW this isn't conjecture by me. It is literally the reality of the B1G right now and probably why they needed to expand. Just look at 130 through 116 on this list. That conference is in shambles Offensively. NCAA College Football FBS current team Stats | NCAA.com

Computers aren't computing properly if they are rating a conference strong with Offensive teams that are that inept at moving the Football up and down the field. This isn't just against Good Defensive teams. These are Offenses that struggle to move the ball against ANYONE they play.

computers are objective

you are not

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC had a losing record vs the power 5 and you all want to disparage other conferences?

lol

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have computers who aren't programmed by someone?

Absolutely NO program or OS programmed by human beings?

the point being the cumulative results would be a much better result than the opinion of one Bama fan.

please tell me you're not disputing that point.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with an SEC team’s criticism of others schedules, is that they only schedule 8 conference games. So they still often play 3 cupcake OOC games.
The B1G just schedules their cupcakes IN-conference! You folks keep making those idiotic claims yet the SEC rates out as playing tougher schedules than the B1G almost every year (including this one)! Find you ranking system that says the B1G plays tougher opponents (for the entire schedule).

bamagrad75

Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the point being the cumulative results would be a much better result than the opinion of one Bama fan.

please tell me you're not disputing that point.

Bluntly, none of it matters whether a Bama or FSU fan. The committee decided based on whatever reason they had at the moment and, most likely, metrics be damned.

In fact, we are pretty much wasting time trying to use metrics to explain why they did what they did.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bluntly, none of it matters whether a Bama or FSU fan. The committee decided based on whatever reason they had at the moment and, most likely, metrics be damned.

In fact, we are pretty much wasting time trying to use metrics to explain why they did what they did.

I was just disputing his opinion was not backed by objective analysis.

Which is why going to 12 is a better option than what we just went through..personally I think 8 is better but 12 eliminates these kind of discussions.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just disputing his opinion was not backed by objective analysis.

Which is why going to 12 is a better option than what we just went through..personally I think 8 is better but 12 eliminates these kind of discussions.

No it won't stop the arguing.

We had the selection based on polls, people got left out and argued.

We went to BCS format, people still argued.

We have current process, people still arguing.

Going to 8, 12, 16, 128, someone will still argue with the inclusion/exclusion and how they are positioned.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it won't stop the arguing.

We had the selection based on polls, people got left out and argued.

We went to BCS format, people still argued.

We have current process, people still arguing.

Going to 8, 12, 16, 128, someone will still argue with the inclusion/exclusion and how they are positioned.

The difference between 4 and 12 is massive.

If the NFL voted on the 4 best teams to determine a playoff we'd all think it's a ridiculous process.

If they voted on 12 teams...still ridiculous but a lot less grief.

bamagrad75

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference between 4 and 12 is massive.

If the NFL voted on the 4 best teams to determine a playoff we'd all think it's a ridiculous process.

If they voted on 12 teams...still ridiculous but a lot less grief.

Still not going to keep people from arguing. Just pure human nature.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not going to keep people from arguing. Just pure human nature.

it's part of what makes college football fun to discuss. I have just had enough of the current format.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the committee tried to state what would constitute a selection. But no one set fits all situations.

They would be better off just saying we will select those teams which we think will be the best match-up and quit trying to nail it down to some arbitrary formula, which they then adjust to their liking.

In my book, based on their earlier comments, FSU should have gotten in and #4 would be who they felt was the best representative.

I missed where you said that, so sorry about getting snippy in the other thread, because this was exactly how I felt it should have gone as well. I think the committee panicked at the though of having to choose between Alabama and Texas and took the easier way out of excluding FSU with the excuse of, "If only their QB hadn't been injured". It sucks, but anyway. We agree on this.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's part of what makes college football fun to discuss. I have just had enough of the current format.

Yeah, the new format won't prevent the argument between who's #12 and who's #13, etc...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, the new format won't prevent the argument between who's #12 and who's #13, etc...
But at that point, no one will really care (accept for those teams). They'll be arguing between teams that have 2-3 losses. Right now we have an undefeated team left out, so there really isn't anything they could do differently to get into the playoff.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But at that point, no one will really care (accept for those teams). They'll be arguing between teams that have 2-3 losses. Right now we have an undefeated team left out, so there really isn't anything they could do differently to get into the playoff.

Agree... More musing on how adding more teams never ends the arguing (See College Hoops).