• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should The NCAA Form a Separate Sub-Division For G5 Conferences?

Should G5 Teams Have Their Own Sub-Division?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying the excuses. It's not like they played UCF the day after the CCG.. or even the next week. They had an entire month to get their heads right.

Not to mention Auburn beat Georgia and Alabama in November.

The SEC honks justification used to be...."Their (SEC team) loss was way back in August/September. They are a better team now."

The goalposts are continually moved for tSEC.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And what was their reward if they won?

You win a New Year's 6 bowl, sure it's not a playoff win but if you can't get excited for that then football is the wrong sport for you

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not buying the excuses. It's not like they played UCF the day after the CCG.. or even the next week. They had an entire month to get their heads right.

So Iowa is just a better team than Ohio St.

And you pretend like Ohio St should have made the playoffs.

:lol:

My guess is Auburn spent the month not giving a fuck because it was UCF. Which is fucking awesome btw.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can not stand it all you want, but the fact of the matter is when one team is playing their Super Bowl and the other is coming off getting their championship hopes crushed, the one playing their Super Bowl will win most of the time.

When you get a game where both teams are hyped up, you get results like the 2008 Sugar Bowl(for the 2007 season)

Completely false, Hawai'i that year was actually a team that managed to not play anyone...you want to talk about an easy schedule, the entire Wac was down that year, we had our worst team in the Petersen era and that team couldn't hold this year's UCF's jock

Northern Illinois the year they played Florida State was another one that was bad... Western Michigan at least beat Northwestern but UCF had no less than 5 tougher games than Western Michigan...I wasn't on here arguing a playoff case for them last year

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather that than have the playoff expanded and/or changed to have a rule added that they need to be included in the playoff. Then they can bitch and moan amongst themselves.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which shits all over 4down20's point that if Fresno had beaten Alabama and Washington and gone undefeated in the MWC they'd have gotten into the CFP.
Alabama would have simply been replaced by a different P5 team. Likely Ohio St.
Auburn lost to a team that lost to a G5 team. You bamer fans need to get your stories straight.
If Fresno St went undefeated they would've likely made the playoffs. UCF didn't play an Alabama or Washington.

And that team Auburn lost to that lost to a G5 team (LSU), Alabama beat them. So by your logic Alabama beat Auburn, so then it's Troy>LSU>Auburn>Alabama>LSU?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess is Auburn spent the month not giving a fuck because it was UCF. Which is fucking awesome btw.

I think an argument could be made that OSU's Conference Championship over the #4 team at the time more than balances out their outlier loss. Now, if you compare losses Alabama's Auburn and Ohio State' Oklahoma goes OSU's way because Oklahoma was a better team than Auburn. OSU and Alabama was a flip of the coin. The Committee chose Alabama. Next year.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd rather that than have the playoff expanded and/or changed to have a rule added that they need to be included in the playoff. Then they can bitch and moan amongst themselves.

The problem is - the G5 teams don't want it.

It is their choice to be in the FBS to start with. They want to compete for the real thing, this would just be a way to do what they are accusing everyone of happening now - excluding them from the playoffs.

But a G5 team absolutely can make it to the playoffs in the format we have now - and WILL do it some day.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is - the G5 teams don't want it.

It is their choice to be in the FBS to start with. They want to compete for the real thing, this would just be a way to do what they are accusing everyone of happening now - excluding them from the playoffs.

But a G5 team absolutely can make it to the playoffs in the format we have now - and WILL do it some day.
Yeah, it'd basically put them on FCS level.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think an argument could be made that OSU's Conference Championship over the #4 team at the time more than balances out their outlier loss. Now, if you compare losses Alabama's Auburn and Ohio State' Oklahoma goes OSU's way because Oklahoma was a better team than Auburn. OSU and Alabama was a flip of the coin. The Committee chose Alabama. Next year.

"Conference Championship" in itself means nothing. #4 team at the time also means nothing, FSU was #3 at the time.

What you can say here is - Ohio St beat a very good 12 win Wisconsin team.

It is also not an outlier loss, it's a BLOW OUT loss to a team with 5 losses.

So your actual argument is that beating a really good Wisconsin team should excuse a 31 pt blowout to a team that should have gone 6-6 if Ohio St had managed a win.

In the meantime, Alabama did not show it's up side as well because we didn't have such a great win depending on your opinion of FSU. But we also didn't see the down side in Alabama that you saw in Ohio St with the blowout loss.

As it's a means of asking what are the best teams are, Alabama comes out on top.

UCF had a similiar problem as Alabama in that it was unable to show it's top side, but it was way worse.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess is UCF spent the month not giving a fuck because they weren't selected to the CFP.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if they were separated this year UCF ends up in a playoff of their own and probably comes down to a rematch between either south florida or memphis for their title. A rematch.

And they don't get to play Auburn and have that notch on their belt of taking out a titan of a P5 (ok, maybe that's a slight stretch lol).

How does the P5 lose out with that again? I mean the premise that P5's are feasting and taking advantage doesn't seem to apply.

We would still have had the same schedule as the rules would allow for P5's to play against the G5 division in their OOC anyway and those same G5's would still be wanting that payday to play them. Losses to a P5 wouldn't change their league standings anyway so there is no reason for them not to keep playing those games.

The ONLY thing moving them does is reduce the overall bowl pool (drop the number of bowl games for sure) and remove upsets of G5's over P5's in those bowls. That's it. They will still leave enough bowl games to ensure every .500 P5 has one to go to.

So you remove upsets from the bigger G5's and possibly kill the number of G5's that have post season play if their playoffs aren't big enough to approximate how many bowls they are no longer going to.

TheDayMan

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is UCF spent the month not giving a fuck because they weren't selected to the CFP.
They definitely seemed to give a fuck. If they didn't they wouldn't be prancing around pretending they're national champions.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,000.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I should have added that it probably reduces the overall money the G5 conferences get as some of those bowl paydays are for sure higher than what they would generate from their own playoffs. Meanwhile, there would still be enough bowl games to keep the money more or less the same for all P5 conference bowl income.

Who wins with this again?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The UCF who is holding a parade for the team and raising a ‘national championship’ banner. This was the biggest game anyone at UCF had ever played. For Auburn, it wasn’t even in the top 3 for biggest games in the last 4 they played.

That being said — I tip my cap to UCF, but no chance they should have been in the CFP. In actuality, IMO, no G5 team deserves to be in the CFP until they start playing a P5 schedule.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They definitely seemed to give a fuck. If they didn't they wouldn't be prancing around pretending they're national champions.

So put you in that pathetic "Auburn didn't want to be there" mantra?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Conference Championship" in itself means nothing. #4 team at the time also means nothing, FSU was #3 at the time.

What you can say here is - Ohio St beat a very good 12 win Wisconsin team.

It is also not an outlier loss, it's a BLOW OUT loss to a team with 5 losses.

So your actual argument is that beating a really good Wisconsin team should excuse a 31 pt blowout to a team that should have gone 6-6 if Ohio St had managed a win.

In the meantime, Alabama did not show it's up side as well because we didn't have such a great win depending on your opinion of FSU. But we also didn't see the down side in Alabama that you saw in Ohio St with the blowout loss.

As it's a means of asking what are the best teams are, Alabama comes out on top.

UCF had a similiar problem as Alabama in that it was unable to show it's top side, but it was way worse.

The loss to Iowa was an outlier. A flyer, in gun shooter's parlance. It is so statistically diverse from the rest of their games that it can be discounted, not highlighted. I thought you knew statistics.

OSU beat at least 2 teams higher ranked than your highest ranked win. They had a conference championship, you do not. (one of the string criteria). That balances out, IMO. You can disagree, but that's just your opinion. Both are opinions. Has there been a release by the committee stating exactly why Alabama over OSU?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I should have added that it probably reduces the overall money the G5 conferences get as some of those bowl paydays are for sure higher than what they would generate from their own playoffs. Meanwhile, there would still be enough bowl games to keep the money more or less the same for all P5 conference bowl income.

Who wins with this again?

Should African slaves have been grateful that they were provided housing and food?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The UCF who is holding a parade for the team and raising a ‘national championship’ banner. This was the biggest game anyone at UCF had ever played. For Auburn, it wasn’t even in the top 3 for biggest games in the last 4 they played.

That being said — I tip my cap to UCF, but no chance they should have been in the CFP. In actuality, IMO, no G5 team deserves to be in the CFP until they start playing a P5 schedule.

And getting Top 5 recruiting classes, right?