• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Should The NCAA Form a Separate Sub-Division For G5 Conferences?

Should G5 Teams Have Their Own Sub-Division?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating Saban when he has a month to prepare is a tall order. Clemson looked like the actual weak link in the playoffs, but they were the 1 seed.

We assumed Clemson rolled through an impressive ACC schedule

I don't think any of us realized how bad the ACC was, I think Wake Forest over A&M and Florida State over Southern Miss were the only wins for that conference, I might be missing one, but it isn't a great one

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a lot of factors involved. Seems that Auburn played their best game while Georgia played their worst game the first go around. Glad we got a chance at redemption though.

That's part of it, Georgia had all these issues for Smart to go and correct, while on the other side Georgia was such a mess that Auburn really didn't have much to go off of when Auburn became the one to start making errors

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We assumed Clemson rolled through an impressive ACC schedule

I don't think any of us realized how bad the ACC was, I think Wake Forest over A&M and Florida State over Southern Miss were the only wins for that conference, I might be missing one, but it isn't a great one

NC State crushed a coachless AZ State, but that's not very impressive either, and Duke rolled over Northern Illinois.

But the ACC took a big step back this year with Florida State collapsing, Louisville being a disappointment and UNC and Pitt coming back down to earth.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Clemson (Lost to 4-8 Syracuse)
#2 Oklahoma (Lost to 7-5 Iowa St)
#3 Georgia (Lost to 10-3 Auburn) Beat Auburn in rematch
#4 Alabama (Lost to 10-3 Auburn)
#5 Ohio St (Lost to 7-5 Iowa 24-55)
#6 Wisconsin (Lost to Ohio St)
#7 Auburn (Lost to Clemson)(Lost to #17 LSU. LSU who lost to Troy)
#8 USC (Lost to #14 Notre Dame 14-49)
#9 Penn St (Lost to #16 Michigan St)
#10 Miami (Lost to 5-7 Pitt 14-24)
#11 Washington (Lost to 7-5 Arizona St)

It seems there is no punishment for P5 teams for losses to average or below average P5 teams. Especially losses to P5 teams that lost to G5 teams.

Syracuse to Middle Tenn St
LSU to Troy
Arizona St to San Diego St

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 Clemson (Lost to 4-8 Syracuse)
#2 Oklahoma (Lost to 7-5 Iowa St)
#3 Georgia (Lost to 10-3 Auburn) Beat Auburn in rematch)
#4 Alabama (Lost to 10-3 Auburn)
#5 Ohio St (Lost to 7-5 Iowa 24-55)
#6 Wisconsin (Lost to Ohio St)
#7 Auburn (Lost to Clemson)(Lost to LSU #17 LSU who lost to Troy)
#8 USC (Lost to #14 Notre Dame 14-49)
#9 Penn St (Lost to #16 Michigan St)
#10 Miami (Lost to 5-7 Pitt 14-24)
#11 Washington (Lost to 7-5 Arizona St)

It seems there is no punishment for P5 teams for losses to average or below average P5 teams. Especially losses to P5 teams that lost to G5 teams.

Syracuse to Middle Tenn St
LSU to Troy
Arizona St to San Diego St

So what you're saying is, Georgia had the best lost, and then whipped the team that beat them's ass in the rematch?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia beat Auburn 28-7 when it mattered.

Didn't read after I saw you failed to address that.

Next.

We are led to believe the whole season matters.

Hoopla Cash
$ 385,552.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF just beat the team that handed UGA and Bama their assess this year and those games weren't even close. .
Auburn also got beat by Clemson.....
,,,and,,gasp...LSU.
Auburn was losing games all over the place before UCF got a-hold of'em.

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NC State crushed a coachless AZ State, but that's not very impressive either, and Duke rolled over Northern Illinois.

But the ACC took a big step back this year with Florida State collapsing, Louisville being a disappointment and UNC and Pitt coming back down to earth.

Those were the other two, and playing Northern Illinois in a bowl is a guaranteed win no matter who you are...seriously their coach sucks at preparing that team for bowl games, he's like 0-5 or 0-6.

Agreed in the preseason it seemed like this was a strong league, but like you said Florida State collapsed, Louisville has a horrible offensive line still and they made an absolutely terrible hire at defensive coordinator so now their defense sucks....Louisville has to play Alabama to open next year, they're not making a bowl

There's a lot of good coaches so the ACC should step up again next year

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We are led to believe the whole season matters.

Most games do, but there's exceptions to every rule.

Beating Georgia in the first matchup did matter for Auburn. Had they lost, the SECCG would have been Georgia vs Alabama regardless of Iron Bowl outcome, and Auburn kept their Natty hopes alive.

But when Georgia won out and dominated them in the rematch, the only real thing the game meant for Georgia was playing in the Sugar Bowl as the 1 seed vs playing in the Rose Bowl as the 3 seed.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're saying is, Georgia had the best lost, and then whipped the team that beat them's ass in the rematch?

I'm saying there's NO path for a G5 team to the CFP unless ALL P5 teams have 3 losses or more.

That's what I'm saying.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm saying there's NO path for a G5 team to the CFP unless ALL P5 teams have 3 losses or more.

Not all, you just need no more than 3 to have fewer than 3 losses.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not all, you just need no more than 3 to have fewer than 3 losses.

False.

#7 Auburn had 3 losses and would have gotten into and 8 team CFP ahead of undefeated #12 UCF.

Once again...Those are not my numbers, they are the CFP playoff committee's numbers.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since Auburn (as a 3 loss team) was ranked #7 ahead of #12 (undefeated) UCF, does that mean all P5's would need to have at least 4 losses for a G5 to get into the CFP? There were NO two loss P5's behind UCF.

Having ALL P5's with 3 losses or more seems impossible to ever happen.
The P5's should split off and go their own way, but your premise here is so badly flawed it's one of the dumbest things I've seen on this site recently.

UCF DIDN'T PLAY ANYONE.

Why do so many ONLY LOOK AT RECORD in a sport so badly unbalanced? UCF wasn't in BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PLAY ANYONE. I mean I'll say it again and it sill won't be understood.

They played exactly ONE team from a P5 and that was fucking Maryland for christs sake.

This is why an auto bid cannot happen, and thankfully will not happen.

They beat two ranked teams and both of them were G5's that were overrated as it was and neither were in the top 15, more or less top 5. Memphis and south florida are the entire resume they had. And on that you want them in the playoffs? :L

I honestly don't understand all this blathering on this site about UCF getting screwed. They literally played no one their entire season so why on earth would they deserve a playoff game? It defies logic. It really does.

Yes, G5's shouldn't be considered the same as P5's and should go their own way. This idea that P5's are the ones that are feasting off of them is pure bullshit though. The G5's need the P5's far more than the other way around. Even if they split off P5's will still play them. They currently play FCS teams as it is and they are in a different division. It won't change the schedules so why exactly would it hurt any P5 teams? It wouldn't. So what would the outcome be? Less G5's going to a bowl? Maybe you want none of them in a bowl. I'd be down with that.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
False.

#7 Auburn had 3 losses and would have gotten into and 8 team CFP ahead of undefeated #12 UCF.

Once again...Those are not my numbers, they are the CFP playoff committee's numbers.

If the playoff were to expand to 8 teams, I'd like for there to be some cut and dry criteria for at least 6 of the teams. The 5 P5 champs and the top G5 team, and then two WCs.

Pretty good odds we'd still have the same NCG matchup though.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody cares anyway. As proven by the final CFP poll. Undefeated UCF would not have even gotten into an 8 team playoff.

5) Ohio St (10-2)
6) Wisconsin (12-1)
7) Auburn (10-3)
8) USC (11-2)
9) Penn St (10-2)
10) Miami (10-2)
11) Washington (10-2)

Would have all gotten in ahead of UCF.

Those are not my numbers. They are the CFP committee's numbers.

That didn't happen because UCF is a G5 team, it happened because they played a weak schedule.

Fresno St could have made it to the playoffs this year if they had went undefeated on their schedule. But for some reason, whenever a G5 team plays a schedule of enough quality to make the playoffs.....they don't go undefeated.

:think:

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The P5's should split off and go their own way, but your premise here is so badly flawed it's one of the dumbest things I've seen on this site recently.

UCF DIDN'T PLAY ANYONE.

Why do so many ONLY LOOK AT RECORD in a sport so badly unbalanced? UCF wasn't in BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PLAY ANYONE. I mean I'll say it again and it sill won't be understood.

They played exactly ONE team from a P5 and that was fucking Maryland for christs sake.

This is why an auto bid cannot happen, and thankfully will not happen.

They beat two ranked teams and both of them were G5's that were overrated as it was and neither were in the top 15, more or less top 5. Memphis and south florida are the entire resume they had. And on that you want them in the playoffs? :L

I honestly don't understand all this blathering on this site about UCF getting screwed. They literally played no one their entire season so why on earth would they deserve a playoff game? It defies logic. It really does.

Yes, G5's shouldn't be considered the same as P5's and should go their own way. This idea that P5's are the ones that are feasting off of them is pure bullshit though. The G5's need the P5's far more than the other way around. Even if they split off P5's will still play them. They currently play FCS teams as it is and they are in a different division. It won't change the schedules so why exactly would it hurt any P5 teams? It wouldn't. So what would the outcome be? Less G5's going to a bowl? Maybe you want none of them in a bowl. I'd be down with that.

I personally don't think it has a damn thing to do with UCF.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the playoff were to expand to 8 teams, I'd like for there to be some cut and dry criteria for at least 6 of the teams. The 5 P5 champs and the top G5 team, and then two WCs.

Pretty good odds we'd still have the same NCG matchup though.

If your conference champion can't make the top8 - there is a reason for it.

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't read after I saw you failed to address that.

Next.

Never said you guys didn't deserve to be in the playoffs.. if that's what you're thinking. It does prove that UCF was more than capable of hanging with the P5 elites.

bamafan4evr12

Rising Tide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
False.

Auburn played a tougher schedule than UCF. Same as all the other teams who finished ranked ahead of UCF and the 4 teams in the CFP