• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Rangers Travel to St. Pete to Take on the Rays September 16-18

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My goal for this team is to build a World Series caliber team. I would really like to put together a team that has a realistic chance of winning a WS for 4 to 6 years. I really don't think that is realistic prior to about 2025.

Therefore, my ideas about what should be done to this roster is based on that. It is not based on contending for a wild card spot next year. If we get to be a wildcard before we get good enough to realistically go to a WS, then that is fine, but that, in and of itself, doesn't interest me at all.

I am also not concerned about our W-L record along the way. I am not concerned with wins every time we play. That is why I am willing to play a struggling young player as opposed to a veteran. I think if this is done the right way that wins will naturally increase along the way, but to me, that is a side benefit.

We will never buy our way to a championship, but we are going to have to be willing to spend in the level of the top 7 to 10 in payroll eventually. Since we cannot buy our way, and since payroll does have a limit, I think we have to try and develop as many very good to great players as we can from our system. Once you get close to finishing up developing enough guys you can finish the team up with free agents and trades. Some of that you can do a year or two ahead of time as long as those players high production years fits within several years of our window. A year from now, we will have a lot better idea about which positions will need fortifying with outside acquisitions, in order to build a WS caliber team.

I think we messed up last offseason in spending heavily at positions where we had a lot of system depth already. It wasn't a fatal mistake, but it will require tough conversations with Seager and Semien in the not too distant future. I actually don't think this coming offseason is too early to sit Seager down and tell him his defensive play warrants him changing positions next year. If he asks for a trade that might not be a bad development. If we do free up his money we could go after a great hitting OF or a top notch ace within the next 15 months. We don't have to trade him, but I can certainly see an upside to doing so. Again, I don't want to intentionally provoke him.

One other thing about having a goal of building a WS caliber team is that I think at times we will have to be willing to trade away a good player to make room for a very good or great player. The tough thing is that requires what could be seen as a step backwards initially. You would have to trust your staff to be able to tell you which players have the best chance to be the better players. For example, you may have a guy in place who seems like another David Murphy and who is doing fine, but you may have a prospect that your people say has a good chance to be another Rusty Greer. If there is only one roster spot, you would be wise to move on from the Murphy level player to make room for the potential Greer-type player. Fans will not understand that when the move is made and it could backfire, but it is hard to build the best team you can without taking a few chances along the way.

I understand that a lot of fans, and probably some of you guys view things differently, and I certainly understand why some have a different viewpoint. It would be helpful to keep the likelihood of different ones of us having different goals, in mind, when we differ about what the Rangers should do. When two people have a different destination in mind, it is just natural for them to want to take different routes. When the other guy wants to go a different route that is just natural.

Last edited:
Reactions: DTC

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Jim Callis talk to Jeff Wilson on Wilson's podcast and he said he thought the Rangers have the best top 10 prospects overall in baseball. He was asked who he thought would make the biggest jump next year. He mentioned Roby and Bratt as possibilities, but thinks it will be Acker.

He thinks Leiter, Rocker, Porter, White and Winn all have the potential to be in the top half of a rotation. He thinks just about every player in our top 10 could be an All Star at some point.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Jim Callis talk to Jeff Wilson on Wilson's podcast and he said he thought the Rangers have the best top 10 prospects overall in baseball. He was asked who he thought would make the biggest jump next year. He mentioned Roby and Bratt as possibilities, but thinks it will be Acker.

He thinks Leiter, Rocker, Porter, White and Winn all have the potential to be in the top half of a rotation. He thinks just about every player in our top 10 could be an All Star at some point.
Interesting but Calis does not mention Rangers prospects they mention his posts Last year White was the big story in the fall AZ league. Wonder how our guys look this year.
I know the media wanted Leiter to shine but he had a rough year

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Seager miscues have alot to do with lack of interest because team is not that good.
Don’t see that with Semien. Regardless some work defensively with elite coaching may develop better habits

When asked about position moving Seager both EG and Tepid scoffed.

Will say that most on this forum could care less about baseball politics Of cluster I would like to think it does not exist and the best players play overall

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clase is not a dime a dozen but getting closers yes is a uncertain situation @Uncle Siggy
No he isn't but then LeClerc wasn't either in 2018 and how long is Clase going to maintain this before he comes back to earth :scratch:

LeClerc right now has a better ERA than he had in 2017, 19 and 20 at 3.09 ERA. (In fact it's been a slow and steady fall from 27.00 to 3.03 about 10 days ago to the current 3.09). If he was a starting pitcher guys would be ecstatic but they only remember 2018 and expect that until he retires which is unrealistic for him and any other pitcher for that matter... (When was the last time you heard Aroldis Chapmans name in the news, it's been awhile hasn't it)...

So what is the difference between 18 and all the rest of his career???

Confidence? pitch sequence? control? consistent pitching motion/arm slot? adrenaline? not tipping pitches? Heck he never really was a lockdown closer most he had in one year was 14. Maybe they just need to let him be a setup reliever for awhile and see what happens :nod:

You figure out what the difference is and maybe he can replicate it and then again maybe not. Anyway the team has a decision to make with him this off season but I do think he will get another shot at proving himself before he gets a new zipcode...

And BTW if there is anybody out there who's crystal ball is showing which FAs are going to be lights out next year please slip the team an e-mail so they know who to sign and who not to... :thumb::rolleyes2:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if Seager miscues have alot to do with lack of interest because team is not that good.
Don’t see that with Semien. Regardless some work defensively with elite coaching may develop better habits

When asked about position moving Seager both EG and Tepid scoffed.

Will say that most on this forum could care less about baseball politics Of cluster I would like to think it does not exist and the best players play overall
Seagers main attraction has always been his bat and even that average wise has fell off this year, guess he's feeling the pressure to produce to make up for what the team lacks...

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seagers main attraction has always been his bat and even that average wise has fell off this year, guess he's feeling the pressure to produce to make up for what the team lacks...
This guy seems real low key and very careful what he says if anything. Could just be his personality or maybe a little too nonchalant

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy seems real low key and very careful what he says if anything. Could just be his personality or maybe a little too nonchalant
Don't forget his contract. He has to be concerned about living up to it. That would put pressure on anyone. I'm sure he sometimes feel he has to carry the load although it is not justified. Given time and he will level out as the team progressives.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he isn't but then LeClerc wasn't either in 2018 and how long is Clase going to maintain this before he comes back to earth :scratch:

LeClerc right now has a better ERA than he had in 2017, 19 and 20 at 3.09 ERA. (In fact it's been a slow and steady fall from 27.00 to 3.03 about 10 days ago to the current 3.09). If he was a starting pitcher guys would be ecstatic but they only remember 2018 and expect that until he retires which is unrealistic for him and any other pitcher for that matter... (When was the last time you heard Aroldis Chapmans name in the news, it's been awhile hasn't it)...

So what is the difference between 18 and all the rest of his career???

Confidence? pitch sequence? control? consistent pitching motion/arm slot? adrenaline? not tipping pitches? Heck he never really was a lockdown closer most he had in one year was 14. Maybe they just need to let him be a setup reliever for awhile and see what happens :nod:

You figure out what the difference is and maybe he can replicate it and then again maybe not. Anyway the team has a decision to make with him this off season but I do think he will get another shot at proving himself before he gets a new zipcode...

And BTW if there is anybody out there who's crystal ball is showing which FAs are going to be lights out next year please slip the team an e-mail so they know who to sign and who not to... :thumb::rolleyes2:
don't have a crystal ball, never claimed to but what i see is a team that doesn't have a bullpen and hoping that what we have is somehow going to miraculously going to turn into one "someday" isn't going to work we have a few like Burke, Hearn & Moore but the rest would not have a spot on most good rosters.

as far as FA's go yes, they are hit and miss but there are a few that have a high probability of continuing their successes over the next seasons so i would gamble on signing some of them. like Syndergaard, Edwin Diaz, Rogers, etc. will they make this team a playoff team next year? probably not but it would be a better team than this year and with a little tinkering next off-season the 2024 will be better and so on

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget his contract. He has to be concerned about living up to it. That would put pressure on anyone. I'm sure he sometimes feel he has to carry the load although it is not justified. Given time and he will level out as the team progressives.
Bullseye

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were 3 reasons why Seager signed in Texas Woodward, Hyers and C. Young, Woodward is now gone and he's seems like he's been in a funk ever since. I know he primarily has batted 2nd but he's actually been better in some aspects in other slots, so maybe a change of pace would do him some good :scratch:

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as far as FA's go yes, they are hit and miss but there are a few that have a high probability of continuing their successes over the next seasons so i would gamble on signing some of them. like Syndergaard, Edwin Diaz, Rogers, etc. will they make this team a playoff team next year? probably not but it would be a better team than this year and with a little tinkering next off-season the 2024 will be better and so on

So who of the young starters are you going to replace with Syndergaards (half a run better) 4.18 ERA for $20M more???
So who are you going to replace in the BP with Rogers 4.53 ERA for $6-8M more???
Do you actually think Diaz will come here after getting very large dollars thrown at him by large market teams, he makes $10M now???

don't have a crystal ball, never claimed to but what i see is a team that doesn't have a bullpen and hoping that what we have is somehow going to miraculously going to turn into one "someday" isn't going to work we have a few like Burke, Hearn & Moore but the rest would not have a spot on most good rosters.

You have to wonder how many of the pitchers ERAs have suffered because the defense is one of the worst in the league at committing errors and boneheaded plays, only 3 teams have committed more... :L

Reactions: DTC

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were 325 million reasons he signed here.
With some guys that's all that matters with him it didn't seem to be, in fact I'm wondering if he would have signed for less :think:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So who of the young starters are you going to replace with Syndergaards (half a run better) 4.18 ERA for $20M more???
So who are you going to replace in the BP with Rogers 4.53 ERA for $6-8M more???
Do you actually think Diaz will come here after getting very large dollars thrown at him by large market teams, he makes $10M now???

You have to wonder how many of the pitchers ERAs have suffered because the defense is one of the worst in the league at committing errors and boneheaded plays, only 3 teams have committed more... :L
Offense has to support pitching and vice versa. Same for defense. Some pitchers are bad just because they are. Others look bad because they are on a bad team and got little support. Either way it is all about team work.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of good points here and yes money whipping does not fix everything
Hopefully ahead we will have enough of a core and decent pitching that attracts free agents

SIDENOTE. I don’t think walks are a result of bad defense

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

another sidenote

Bad defense taxes pitching and may lead pitchers to go for the strikeout and perfect pitch leading to more walks

lol I contradict myself in some ways.
Probably a little truth both ways why we wal so many

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SIDENOTE. I don’t think walks are a result of bad defense
League average as of yesterdays games was 444, Rangers were at 527...

I'm guessing a few are because the pitcher gets distracted/disgusted by the defense behind him. The rest are lack of control, lack of confidence and bad pitch selection/sequence with a few tossed in because of bad blues calls...

One thing that did catch my eye is only 7 teams pitching staffs have given up fewer HRs than the Rangers :eek:

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
League average as of yesterdays games was 444, Rangers were at 527...

One thing that did catch my eye is only 7 teams pitching staffs have given up fewer HRs than the Rangers :eek:
both interesting stats. Now where do we stand in walks via the pen?