• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Our Texas Rangers against the Oakland A's 9/2 -9/4

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Article about the Dodgers picking up MY. I guess we are not alone in our reasons for not having MY after last year.
Los Angeles Dodgers Go Dumpster Diving With Michael Young

Michael Young Is Terrible Defensively and Offensively, and the Dodgers Don't Need His Services

Y! SPORTS
The writer is being a jerk about it, but nothing he is saying is wrong. Young is terrible now, and nothing about his past redeems him now. Leadership is a word that people throw around to protect players they love and don't want to offend.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a poll on ESPN right now asking who will win the ALW and the A's are leading with 58% and approximately 12,000 voters. FYI

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The writer is being a jerk about it, but nothing he is saying is wrong. Young is terrible now, and nothing about his past redeems him now. Leadership is a word that people throw around to protect players they love and don't want to offend.

I think this is overly critical. He's hitting about .275 with 42 RBI and can fill in at 4 positions. I'm not saying his glove is anything more than below average at all 4 of those positions. But if someone was tired/hurt he can spell them. And he can provide a calm, been there done voice in the dugout too.

Glad we don't have him, but he's not totally worthless.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this is overly critical. He's hitting about .275 with 42 RBI and can fill in at 4 positions. I'm not saying his glove is anything more than below average at all 4 of those positions. But if someone was tired/hurt he can spell them. And he can provide a calm, been there done voice in the dugout too.

Glad we don't have him, but he's not totally worthless.
Any position he plays puts the team at a disadvantage. Same with his hitting. He cannot come off the bench and PH lefties anymore, because he cannot hit them well enough to make it worth their while. The Dodgers traded for what Young did 2002-11. Not what he is now.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Doubt they got him for anything more than a bench bat during the last weeks or DH in AL parks if he performs well enough to get on the post season roster. Whether he's on the roster or not he'll be in their dugout and clubhouse in the post season.

whittler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY's chances of getting a WS ring are better than any of the Rangers. Dodgers or Atlanta over the AL champ.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any position he plays puts the team at a disadvantage. Same with his hitting. He cannot come off the bench and PH lefties anymore, because he cannot hit them well enough to make it worth their while. The Dodgers traded for what Young did 2002-11. Not what he is now.

That would really speak well of the management/talent evaluation of the Dodgers wouldn't it? Let's pay no attention to the last 2 seasons, and pay him for what he did 24 months ago. Makes no sense.

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MY's chances of getting a WS ring are better than any of the Rangers. Dodgers or Atlanta over the AL champ.
Yeah, that's a pretty safe bet there. It seems like it's the Dodgers year.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And it doesn't seem to be our year. Honestly, nothing seems to have worked to our advantage this season. Season ain't over yet though.

But you're right, the Dodgers got 3 quality starters, and if they can get Kemp back and have him even close to 100% they're going to be hard to beat.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would really speak well of the management/talent evaluation of the Dodgers wouldn't it? Let's pay no attention to the last 2 seasons, and pay him for what he did 24 months ago. Makes no sense.
Pujols was paid 300 million for what he did before. It happens all the time in Baseball.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Honestly, I never expected the Rangers to be doing this good given what they started with and all the injuries. I didn't picture this team going to the WS. Of course I didn't picture that with the 2010 or 2011 team either. I mean making it to the WS might be the toughest championship to make it to in most all pro sports. I will be happy if the Rangers just make it to the playoffs again and hopefully at least advance to the ALCS or at least win the one game playoff this time around. Any improvement from last season is fine with me. I know most of our fans are dying for a WS though. And I would love to have one too but I'm not sure if that is a realistic expectation, it would be great though.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pujols was paid 300 million for what he did before. It happens all the time in Baseball.

Granted, the contract Pujols signed was absurd. But the his last year with the Cards he hit .299, 37 HR, 99 RBI and played 147 games.

You're right in that bad contracts are signed every year. But this is a late season move and they've got 2 years of track record to make their evaluation on. Young has hit about .275 over the past 2 seasons.

Let's agree to disagree Rev and GO RANGERS

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I never expected the Rangers to be doing this good given what they started with and all the injuries. I didn't picture this team going to the WS. Of course I didn't picture that with the 2010 or 2011 team either. I mean making it to the WS might be the toughest championship to make it to in most all pro sports. I will be happy if the Rangers just make it to the playoffs again and hopefully at least advance to the ALCS or at least win the one game playoff this time around. Any improvement from last season is fine with me. I know most of our fans are dying for a WS though. And I would love to have one too but I'm not sure if that is a realistic expectation, it would be great though.
I just never want to go back to pre 2010 Rangers. Whatever they do. Sign McCann in the off season, also go hard after Abreu and even bid on Tanaka. Make it happen!

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted, the contract Pujols signed was absurd. But the his last year with the Cards he hit .299, 37 HR, 99 RBI and played 147 games.

You're right in that bad contracts are signed every year. But this is a late season move and they've got 2 years of track record to make their evaluation on. Young has hit about .275 over the past 2 seasons.

Let's agree to disagree Rev and GO RANGERS
I think their GM is in all in mode, so he thinks adding Young will help. He's wrong, but that's what some GMs do.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just never want to go back to pre 2010 Rangers. Whatever they do. Sign McCann in the off season, also go hard after Abreu and even bid on Tanaka. Make it happen!

:agree:..There was some gloom and doom back then.

Ya know, I've been pleasantly surprised by AJ this season. But McCann is a much better catcher and younger too. I'd also be fine with bringing back Soto in his same role.

Moreland is under team control and only cost $500,000 or so for next season. Think that's right. At that price, someone will be willing to take a flyer on him I think. But he's been a large disappointment since coming back from injury. Abreu would be a terrific upgrade.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Ya know, I've been pleasantly surprised by AJ this season. But McCann is a much better catcher and younger too. I'd also be fine with bringing back Soto in his same role.

Moreland is under team control and only cost $500,000 or so for next season. Think that's right. At that price, someone will be willing to take a flyer on him I think. But he's been a large disappointment since coming back from injury. Abreu would be a terrific upgrade.

How many ABs does Abreu have in the majors?

darrylgann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was hard pressed to go to the WS this year with the off season we went through. Much less with the injuries we had. 2014 looks like a better bet for us. A year under Perez and Profar's belt. Getting Harrison, Cruz and Lewis back fit. If the last two are re-signed. Of course all of this, offensively speaking, is depended on the up coming off season. JD has to belly up. McCann?, Choo?, Ellsbury? If not Garza, sign or trade for another starter. Plus probably get another set of relievers.

Though, I'm not giving up on this season, but our offense... Not too happy with Kinsler.

Last edited by a moderator:

kdm1218

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Moreland is going to end up with at least 25 hr and 60 something rbi on the season. Avg is not great obviously but the other production is not bad at all, and he plays a good glove. Not saying don't look at other options but he's doing better than most people give credit for, especially if he ever stays healthy and plays 150 games. Everyone is clamoring to keep Cruz as DH and his average yearly numbers are not much above Moreland's.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many ABs does Abreu have in the majors?

OK.....let's just stay with Mitch's .244 average and he's always hurt. This guy is going to average about 130 games over the past 3 seasons of staying upright.

Wind.....I'm not dismissing your thought. I'm just looking for a young upgrade. Who's to say that JD & Co don't move Kins there if they decide to keep Profar. Don't know yet.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland is going to end up with at least 25 hr and 60 something rbi on the season. Avg is not great obviously but the other production is not bad at all, and he plays a good glove. Not saying don't look at other options but he's doing better than most people give credit for, especially if he ever stays healthy and plays 150 games. Everyone is clamoring to keep Cruz as DH and his average yearly numbers are not much above Moreland's.

Moreland is slightly above average with the glove, if that. Cruz, counting this abbreviated season is going to average around 85 RBI for the last 3 seasons. Had he completed this season his average would have jumped to 93ish. 93 and 60 don't seem close to me.

But both of these guys play about 130 games a season.