• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Trade Talk 2021

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paying Horford what he wanted was also a "bad strategy" as it turns out.

Rather than that scenario being all negative against the GM, perhaps Ainge deserves credit for not making the mistake of overpaying?

Well I said viable replacement. I don't think paying him was necessarily the right idea. But letting him go and not having anyone else to replace his production wasn't great.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I said viable replacement. I don't think paying him was necessarily the right idea. But letting him go and not having anyone else to replace his production wasn't great.
Fair enough... seems like idle criticism to a certain extent, though.

The C's didn't just let Horford walk... they offered him a pretty generous (as it turns out) contract. Another team paid him way more than he was worth (as it turns out).

Thems the breaks, sometimes.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

losing both captain flat earth and al was rough. Hard to replace two in one offseason is rough

Using cap space on kemba was basically a lateral move for all intensive purposes pre injury

but center has been tougher. Bob is ok but Brad doesn’t trust him. Theis was fine last year but just. A bad matchup for bam.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The C's didn't just let Horford walk... they offered him a pretty generous (as it turns out) contract. Another team paid him way more than he was worth (as it turns out).

Letting Horford walk was a good call

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right but the Celtics never really got a replacement for Horford. I would say that letting Baynes go made the problem worse.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right but the Celtics never really got a replacement for Horford. I would say that letting Baynes go made the problem worse.
Again, Baynes wasn't just "let go"... they needed the cap space to sign Kemba Walker, IIRC.

That's a no-brainer trade off... it had to be done, any GM would have made the same choice...

... therefore, criticizing Ainge for making the right business decision there is pretty weak sauce.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, Baynes wasn't just "let go"... they needed the cap space to sign Kemba Walker, IIRC.

That's a no-brainer trade off... it had to be done, any GM would have made the same choice...

... therefore, criticizing Ainge for making the right business decision there is pretty weak sauce.

the problem with ainge is usually the dominos After the move

hue turned that pick he got back into just dumping frenchy instead of taking a Bane or Xavier Tillman.

who while not world beaters are playing solid role minutes in Memphis.

or the thybulle trade down, which made some sense when you combine it with the baynes deal, but he whiffed on the picks compared jt who he could’ve gotten just staying put

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ultimately GMs are measured against their success.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the problem with ainge is usually the dominos After the move

hue turned that pick he got back into just dumping frenchy instead of taking a Bane or Xavier Tillman.

who while not world beaters are playing solid role minutes in Memphis.

or the thybulle trade down, which made some sense when you combine it with the baynes deal, but he whiffed on the picks compared jt who he could’ve gotten just staying put
^ I concede that the areas you highlight are better/fairer angles of criticism against Ainge. He is imperfect, no doubt.

The main area of criticism I would hold against Ainge is that our roster is filled with too many "projects" who are limited on the offensive end. When we **should** be competing for a championship (theoretically), that is pretty far from ideal.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ I concede that the areas you highlight are better/fairer angles of criticism against Ainge. He is imperfect, no doubt.

The main area of criticism I would hold against Ainge is that our roster is filled with too many "projects" who are limited on the offensive end. When we **should** be competing for a championship (theoretically), that is pretty far from ideal.

That's basically my criticism. Why are you filling a roster with a bunch of meh draft picks when you can sell those picks (before they're taken) for a much higher value to help your team compete now

I understand that is a shorter window move and creates more complexities cap wise but it was a sure fire way to get proven commodities that produce. TT and a well beyond prime Jeff Teague aren't going to do it.

They lost a guy like Morris and didn't really replace him with a guy who can give you consistent minutes.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I say all this as a fan of a team that gave up their three best players for a pack of donuts, the largest dead cap in league history, and a 2nd rd pick. Granted Morey had his hand as well.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ultimately GMs are measured against their success.

Yep. Had Brand been stubborn and tried to run back the same roster he would've been crushed for it. He wisely changed it up and we are seeing what that resulted in. As an example.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I don’t know about any other GM on Kemba. If I’m a GM I don’t want that guy on my team:
- to be effective he has to dominate the basketball
- he’s a liability on the defensive end when guards can post him.

Exciting player but in the NBA game I seriously question if you can build a winner with that guy in your core. Just my opinion.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don’t know about any other GM on Kemba. If I’m a GM I don’t want that guy on my team:

Exciting player but in the NBA game I seriously question if you can build a winner with that guy in your core. Just my opinion.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

When a bonafide max player is willing to sign with your team, though... (and you have the existing salary cap space)... 10 out of 10 NBA GM's sign that guy. The NBA is not a choosers market.

Now, Kemba has been hurt by injuries since the signing... but at the time, he had been an ironman... no one serious was criticizing the move or saying Walker should be a 'pass' for NBA teams.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

you also just described kyrie...and neither made the finals.

so maybe there’s something to it

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're certainly entitled to your opinion.

When a bonafide max player is willing to sign with your team, though... (and you have the existing salary cap space)... 10 out of 10 NBA GM's sign that guy. The NBA is not a choosers market.

Now, Kemba has been hurt by injuries since the signing... but at the time, he had been an ironman... no one serious was criticizing the move or saying Walker should be a 'pass' for NBA teams.
I was. I thought he would cut into Marcus Smart’s minutes and I think that guy is the glue guy that made those strong recent Cs teams go. I also think Kemba is the product of being on a bad team where he was a volume shooter.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you also just described kyrie...and neither made the finals.

so maybe there’s something to it

Kyrie spend two years in Boston. His first year he was injured for the playoffs and the Celtics made it to the ECF. His second year they got bounced outta the playoffs in the second round when he played. Last year with Kemba they went to the ECF again. The Celtics have actually had better success without that flat Earther.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was. I thought he would cut into Marcus Smart’s minutes and I think that guy is the glue guy that made those strong recent Cs teams go. I also think Kemba is the product of being on a bad team where he was a volume shooter.
Fair enough.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

idk who you get that’s better if he doesn’t hurt his knee.

plus, kemba smart brown Tatum is going to be your 1-4 in the small ball era anyway