• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Trade Talk 2021

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of buzz around the insider types with the belief that Victor Oladipo is gonna be traded again between now and the deadline

If Houston is going full tank having Oladipo on your team makes that a little more difficult. Since that OKC swap is top 4 protected they want to be shitty as possible. Someone could end up getting a very solid upgrade for at worst the playoffs for next to nothing if there aren't a lot of takers at first.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be kicking themselves for not taking that deal.
Maybe, maybe not. Ultimately, what the Celtics do with the trade exception they acquired otherwise will weigh heavily in such a determination.

Regarding Miles Turner: he puts up some ok stats, but it's not clear that he is a "winning" player overall.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should be kicking themselves for not taking that deal.

the only thing is, embiid owns turner and this years defense is a wild outlier.

I think it’s hard to argue they wouldn’t be better off this year (plus that pacers pick is kinda juicy in this draft)

but I’m a little skeptical that turner can keep this level of defense moving forward. I hope I’m wrong though. I was a big big fan of his coming out of school.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only thing is, embiid owns turner and this years defense is a wild outlier.

I think it’s hard to argue they wouldn’t be better off this year (plus that pacers pick is kinda juicy in this draft)

but I’m a little skeptical that turner can keep this level of defense moving forward. I hope I’m wrong though. I was a big big fan of his coming out of school.

What is Boston giving up to get a player to use their 28 million exception on is the thing for me. It's a nice exception but they have middling to shitty picks now and they can't really afford to give up any of their nucleus. None of their young players are worth much. I guess they probably figure they can absorb salary for a team looking to add another piece? Maybe I end up wrong on this whole thing but Ainge has botched nearly every move he's made since nailing the Jaylen and Tatum picks.

I have kind of adopted the Celtics as my favorite East team once the playoffs hit. I know that's odd for a pistons fan to say. Like their nucleus. They just need more.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is Boston giving up to get a player to use their 28 million exception on is the thing for me. It's a nice exception but they have middling to shitty picks now and they can't really afford to give up any of their nucleus. None of their young players are worth much. I guess they probably figure they can absorb salary for a team looking to add another piece? Maybe I end up wrong on this whole thing but Ainge has botched nearly every move he's made since nailing the Jaylen and Tatum picks.

Even then brown wasn’t good until he got expensive. He was a below average #3 pick over the life of his rookie deal.

the rest of the 2016 draft is a disaster minus the shrewd trade...that he turned into another disaster (the thybulle trade with Philly).

the other option is absorbing a salary to get more picks. But the money would be absurd due to them almost assuredly being a Tax payer next year

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, maybe not. Ultimately, what the Celtics do with the trade exception they acquired otherwise will weigh heavily in such a determination.

Regarding Miles Turner: he puts up some ok stats, but it's not clear that he is a "winning" player overall.

Like I just said what kind of deal can they craft to gain a player worthy of that exception and give little back minus salary relief? They could probably land Oladipo as a rental but he doesn't fit. Turner would've been better than Gordon imo. What comes about in the offseason that really upgrades them where they need it?

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I just said what kind of deal can they craft to gain a player worthy of that exception and give little back minus salary relief? They could probably land Oladipo as a rental but he doesn't fit. Turner would've been better than Gordon imo. What comes about in the offseason that really upgrades them where they need it?
These are the questions, sure.

It's up to Ainge to work some magic. All eyes on him.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are the questions, sure.

It's up to Ainge to work some magic. All eyes on him.

Bleh. Dude blew his wad. Like someone else said who would've thought he'd get over on Brooklyn like that and they end up with better odds on a title in less than a decade

We will see i guess.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleh. Dude blew his wad. Like someone else said who would've thought he'd get over on Brooklyn like that and they end up with better odds on a title in less than a decade

We will see i guess.
I (personally) don't think Ainge has done as poorly as the recent swell of "Ainge hate" suggests. Ainge hasn't been perfect, but he's been pretty good overall (IMO).

When I look at the Celtics and their current problems, my first thought isn't to blame the GM. The C's have a lot of talent... (some bench problems, admittedly, but a lot of talent at the top of their roster)...

... I'm blaming the players first and foremost (mostly because of their obvious effort and body language problems this year)... and Brad after that.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I (personally) don't think Ainge has done as poorly as the recent swell of "Ainge hate" suggests. Ainge hasn't been perfect, but he's been pretty good overall (IMO).

When I look at the Celtics and their current problems, my first thought isn't to blame the GM. The C's have a lot of talent... (some bench problems, admittedly, but a lot of talent at the top of their roster)...

... I'm blaming the players first and foremost (mostly because of their obvious effort and body language problems this year)... and Brad after that.

They definitely have a strong top half of the roster. The issue has been Ainge opting to fill out his roster with middling first round picks rather than building a bench of a team looking to win a title. I get they still have the benefit of Jaylen and Jason being well in their prime but those first round picks are more valuable in the hands of another team making the selection than down the road as they prove to be playing at or below their value for their selection.

Also sucks for them they ended up trading potentially the best of those picks from last year (Bane) while also dumping Kanter.

Brad definitely deserves blame. As do the players.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, while he certainly didn't do near what he probably could have/should have with all of those assets, it's not as if he completely botched the whole deal. I also think that folks forget that Haywards leg fell off 10 minutes after he arrived in Boston. Can't really blame Ainge for something like that.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, while he certainly didn't do near what he probably could have/should have with all of those assets, it's not as if he completely botched the whole deal. I also think that folks forget that Haywards leg fell off 10 minutes after he arrived in Boston. Can't really blame Ainge for something like that.

that pretty much sums it up. One could argue he should’ve consolidated those picks to move up for better players or use them for vet help.

the kyrie Gamble also hurt becuase while he was fine, he also blew up the team.

having bridges or SHAi or mpj right now would be huge for roster.

and using a first to dump Frenchy was brutal. Just brutal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that pretty much sums it up. One could argue he should’ve consolidated those picks to move up for better players or use them for vet help.

Yeah, it's hard to blame Kyrie on him. The Celtics were his first stop after Cleveland and there was still some question over whether or not he was a crazy person or not, so he took a gamble that just about any GM would have.

Unfortunately for Ainge, it turned out that he truly is a crazy person and chose to prove it in Boston.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's hard to blame Kyrie on him. The Celtics were his first stop after Cleveland and there was still some question over whether or not he was a crazy person or not, so he took a gamble that just about any GM would have.

Unfortunately for Ainge, it turned out that he truly is a crazy person and chose to prove it in Boston.
There was a lot of smoke that kyrie was crazy and zizic had a lot of fans in the league as well. Trading the Brooklyn pick was just not smart

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a lot of smoke that kyrie was crazy and zizic had a lot of fans in the league as well. Trading the Brooklyn pick was just not smart

Oh, there was definitely smoke. But there was still enough doubt that the level of talent made it a risk that pretty much anyone would have taken.

If Kyrie were just a very good player, I doubt Ainge makes that deal. But Kyrie has generational talent. Unfortunately, he also has generational crazy as well.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, there was definitely smoke. But there was still enough doubt that the level of talent made it a risk that pretty much anyone would have taken.

If Kyrie were just a very good player, I doubt Ainge makes that deal. But Kyrie has generational talent. Unfortunately, he also has generational crazy as well.

I don’t think he was generational at all. I thought he was more in the very good because his d sunk a good chunk of his offensive value.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Letting Al Horford go and not having a viable replacement for him wasn't a great strategy.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting Al Horford go and not having a viable replacement for him wasn't a great strategy.
Paying Horford what he wanted was also a "bad strategy" as it turns out.

Rather than that scenario being all negative against the GM, perhaps Ainge deserves credit for not making the mistake of overpaying?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Maybe not as bad as some are saying....but also not as good as many said in the past.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The first paragraph is more my take. He gambled that with so many picks hed nail a couple that he would have team control on the cheap. None have been home runs. If he nailed 2 of them even we may be having a different convo to be fair.