• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

NBA Trade Talk 2021

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody needs space.

The didn’t do that well with McGee against good defenses in the playoffs. That is why he sat the bench. They did fine with Howard, but Howard was dominant defensively. Drummond could be that for sure. But he really hasn’t been that up to this point.

From an offensive perspective, last year in the playoffs the Lakers best offensive lineups hands down where with AD at the 5 and Morris or Kuzma at the 4. That is because they had space.

You're totally missing the point and side stepping it. You're also literally just repeating back what I said about Howard/McGee. No one is disputing everyone needs space. That's not what's being talked about. No one is saying that. Every line up doesn't need maximum spacing at all times though. They don't need the space Gasol provides as much you as think. There's tradeoffs in skillsets each player brings and Gasol's negatives for the last couple of seasons now are more problematic than his positives (the spacing he can provide) in crucial playoff minutes. The Lakers can generate enough spacing to be effective despite playing with a more paint bound player who gives them the defense they need. They've done it before (last season) and they can do it now. What they need is a person that can play in Gasol's spot in certain situations that would give them a boost over his lack of rim deterrence. It doesn't matter if that player can space the floor the same way he can or not. It's ideal, but its not pressing and its not like players that can do both are abundant for any team to just go out and get. It's not the main priority because one skill of need (the defense) outweighs everything else (the spacing), because the drop off in spacing from everything else the Lakers have isn't that dramatic. If they don't get it, they'll be forced to play that Davis line up you mentioned at all times, which is too taxing on Davis, especially coming off his injury, and will wear him down eventually. That's a big risk the Lakers should try to avoid. All other non-Gasol lineups are too small, even in spells to give Davis rest. And putting out Gasol is basically the same as player a small line up because he provides so little rim deterrence at this point in his career. You're already going to be playing Davis at the 5 more in the playoffs anyway because he's a player that gives you both spacing and defense. But you can't lose the minutes that he rests because in the WC that's better than last season, those few minutes he sits could be the difference in the game and series. Hell, you couldn't do it last year either. Which is exactly the point I made bringing up Howard. And the Lakers don't have that on their roster right now because Gasol doesn't bring that. And this is what you're missing. You keep going back to spacing like its the deal breaker. It's not.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The primary asset would be picks and then some mix of Mike Scott/Danny Green to make salary work.

Losing Danny Green means we need to get a considerably better player than Green.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing Danny Green means we need to get a considerably better player than Green.
The two guys in my group that would command a Green salary are Oubre and Barton and in both cases I think you do get a better player. Barton is my best choice.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're totally missing the point and side stepping it. You're also literally just repeating back what I said about Howard/McGee. No one is disputing everyone needs space. That's not what's being talked about. No one is saying that. Every line up doesn't need maximum spacing at all times though. They don't need the space Gasol provides as much you as think. There's tradeoffs in skillsets each player brings and Gasol's negatives for the last couple of seasons now are more problematic than his positives (the spacing he can provide) in crucial playoff minutes. The Lakers can generate enough spacing to be effective despite playing with a more paint bound player who gives them the defense they need. They've done it before (last season) and they can do it now. What they need is a person that can play in Gasol's spot in certain situations that would give them a boost over his lack of rim deterrence. It doesn't matter if that player can space the floor the same way he can or not. It's ideal, but its not pressing and its not like players that can do both are abundant for any team to just go out and get. It's not the main priority because one skill of need (the defense) outweighs everything else (the spacing), because the drop off in spacing from everything else the Lakers have isn't that dramatic. If they don't get it, they'll be forced to play that Davis line up you mentioned at all times, which is too taxing on Davis, especially coming off his injury, and will wear him down eventually. That's a big risk the Lakers should try to avoid. All other non-Gasol lineups are too small, even in spells to give Davis rest. And putting out Gasol is basically the same as player a small line up because he provides so little rim deterrence at this point in his career. You're already going to be playing Davis at the 5 more in the playoffs anyway because he's a player that gives you both spacing and defense. But you can't lose the minutes that he rests because in the WC that's better than last season, those few minutes he sits could be the difference in the game and series. Hell, you couldn't do it last year either. Which is exactly the point I made bringing up Howard. And the Lakers don't have that on their roster right now because Gasol doesn't bring that. And this is what you're missing. You keep going back to spacing like its the deal breaker. It's not.

I am not missing anything. I just couldn’t disagree more. Spacing is king in modern NBA offense.

And the other problem with bringing on a guy like Drummond is that you make it a lot harder to play AD at 5. And then where does Harrell play? Are you giving him a bit role, or is he playing almost exclusively 4?

If he is 4, you lose in perimeter defense more than you gain in rim protection.

What you need is a 10-15 minute a game defensive body. Like what Howard provided. Drummond isn’t that.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main thing in any deal is a move the benefits both teams and where salaries can match up.

In Boston, Ainge would love to get Barnes but the cost could be too high. Can't expect the C's to trade Tatum or Brown. Kemba's a possibility but it looks like his knee is coming around and danny will keep him. Smart might be available. Pritchard is a keeper and Neesmith might not be. Robert Williams could have been had early in the year for a PB & J sdandwich but he's playing like a monster now. There isn't much to choose from if your trying to cut a deal with the C's.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PJ Tucker to Milwaukee

i can’t even really piece this deal together.

but I’d say after sorting it all out you call it tucker for two seconds and move on.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not missing anything. I just couldn’t disagree more. Spacing is king in modern NBA offense.

And the other problem with bringing on a guy like Drummond is that you make it a lot harder to play AD at 5. And then where does Harrell play? Are you giving him a bit role, or is he playing almost exclusively 4?

If he is 4, you lose in perimeter defense more than you gain in rim protection.

What you need is a 10-15 minute a game defensive body. Like what Howard provided. Drummond isn’t that.

You clearly aren't getting it and didn't get it until your last line because that's exactly what I've been saying the entire time. You've been too focused on spacing to notice. Why did you think I brought up Howard to begin with? He didn't start last year or play heavy minutes. They played AD at the 5 in the playoffs most of the time. But Howard played that limited role. And they don't have anyone that can do that right now as I said numerous times.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly aren't getting it and didn't get it until your last line because that's exactly what I've been saying the entire time. You've been too focused on spacing to notice. Why did you think I brought up Howard to begin with? He didn't start last year or play heavy minutes. They played AD at the 5 in the playoffs most of the time. But Howard played that limited role. And they don't have anyone that can do that right now as I said numerous times.

I totally get it. Have the whole time.

Drummond isn’t the guy you bring in for a limited role like that. Not at this stage of his career.

You risk doing more harm than good because of the ripple effect in what his acquisition would do to everyone else’s roles. Do you really think Drummond would be okay with 10 minutes 1 night and a DNP the next?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally get it. Have the whole time.

Drummond isn’t the guy you bring in for a limited role like that. Not at this stage of his career.

You risk doing more harm than good because of the ripple effect in what his acquisition would do to everyone else’s roles. Do you really think Drummond would be okay with 10 minutes 1 night and a DNP the next?

No, you don't get it. Because you kept trying to side track it with discussions about how much spacing the Lakers need at all times like we're talking about a starter getting 30 minutes a game despite the fact the entire time I've just been talking about a limited role for whichever player they get and pointed how the Lakers worked around issues like that in the past. And now you keep trying to find ways to talk yourself out of it finding anything you can latch onto from spacing to now Drummond's attitude if he would be ok in a limited role. And the answer to that is, yeah, he would be if he signs because he knows what he's getting into. It's a small role to chase a title for a few months and he moves on somewhere else next season. The Lakers know they have a potential need. They know that Gasol can possible be an issue in the playoffs. Why else would they sniff around a Myles Turner trade and are monitoring buyout candidates like Drummond, Hassan Whiteside, and Ed Davis? I'm seeing the same thing they are.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont even pretend to know shit about Dre anymore. The fact he has no trade value to a team like...the Mavs who are soft as charmin inside blows my mind.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, you don't get it. Because you kept trying to side track it with discussions about how much spacing the Lakers need at all times like we're talking about a starter getting 30 minutes a game despite the fact the entire time I've just been talking about a limited role for whichever player they get and pointed how the Lakers worked around issues like that in the past. And now you keep trying to find ways to talk yourself out of it finding anything you can latch onto from spacing to now Drummond's attitude if he would be ok in a limited role. And the answer to that is, yeah, he would be if he signs because he knows what he's getting into. It's a small role to chase a title for a few months and he moves on somewhere else next season. The Lakers know they have a potential need. They know that Gasol can possible be an issue in the playoffs. Why else would they sniff around a Myles Turner trade and are monitoring buyout candidates like Drummond, Hassan Whiteside, and Ed Davis? I'm seeing the same thing they are.

Ed Davis and Hassan Whiteside are bit players right now.

Myles Turner can shoot.

My previous discussion was assuming that you weren’t trying to lure Andre Drummond for a 10 minute per game role when he would probably be your 4th best player.

They already have 2 good players who play almost exclusively at the 5. If they get Drummond, At least 1, maybe 2 of those guys DNP against small ball teams in the playoffs. If anything, the Lakers need a 3 and D wing. Ariza would have been perfect.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont even pretend to know shit about Dre anymore. The fact he has no trade value to a team like...the Mavs who are soft as charmin inside blows my mind.

His lack of trade value stems from 2 things, his contract and the fact that word got out the Cavs might buy him out. Players values tank once other teams know they can just wait and pick a guy up for free after the buyout. But back to his contract, even with it expiring, he's sitting at a big salary number. Something like 27 mil I think. Most contenders don't have pieces they can afford to give up to match the salaries up. And other teams aren't going to trade for him either because he'll be a free agent in the offseason so why trade for a guy when you aren't winning this year and the guy will probably leave anyway.

Skill wise, he could probably help quite a few teams. But he's not close to his prime and he'll only be effective in certain match ups

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Myles Turner can shoot.

Turner would be great. But the only way the Lakers could get him would be to give up guys they can't really afford to give up.

At this point, they need a Dwight/Javale which are roles that Ed Davis or Whiteside could fill for them.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Turner would be great. But the only way the Lakers could get him would be to give up guys they can't really afford to give up.

At this point, they need a Dwight/Javale which are roles that Ed Davis or Whiteside could fill for them.

javale himself is probably available

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Myles Turner can shoot.

My previous discussion was assuming that you weren’t trying to lure Andre Drummond for a 10 minute per game role when he would probably be your 4th best player.

They already have 2 good players who play almost exclusively at the 5. If they get Drummond, At least 1, maybe 2 of those guys DNP against small ball teams in the playoffs. If anything, the Lakers need a 3 and D wing. Ariza would have been perfect.

I know that was your assumption, lol. That's part of what I've been trying to point to you my friend. FWIW, if the Lakers were to somehow get Drummond tomorrow, he'd likely be the starter and playing more minutes over Gasol because Gasol has covid and scuttlebutt is there's some concerns with his conditioning right now. But come playoff time, like last year, Davis is gonna be the center the vast majority of the time over Gasol or whoever else. Every potential other center will be in a limited role. And what the Lakers are looking for is a center that gives them something different from Gasol for that limited role because he's fallen off a cliff defensively. Some games, Gasol might be fine. Others he won't be. And Drummond, faults and all, is still a marginal upgrade in that defensive aspect over Gasol right now

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
javale himself is probably available

CBA prevents the Lakers from getting him directly. McGee has to be traded to another team and then cut before LA is eligible to get him. They're interested though