• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Trade Deadline

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Bailey ranks near the top in terms of pop time and throwing, but he has only thrown out 23% of base stealers in 2024. The league average rate is 22%, so he is a tad above that.I'm mentioning this because runners generally steal off of the pitcher. Bailey is doing what he can to limit the running game, but if the pitcher does not hold the runner on and is slow to the plate, it gives the catcher little chance to get the runner out. The Giants have allowed the most stolen bases (74) in baseball. Something has to change there.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is distinct possibility that without Lee and other injuries that he would never have gotten his shot here and would have been a terrible loss to this Meh roster. :puke:

Imagine if you will if he didn't get his Chance here and him going to a rival whether in Division or like Stl. or other hated rivals. :puke:
I was ready for him to be moved just so someone would give him a shot. It certainly seemed like the Giants were not going to do it.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Bailey ranks near the top in terms of pop time and throwing, but he has only thrown out 23% of base stealers in 2024. The league average rate is 22%, so he is a tad above that.I'm mentioning this because runners generally steal off of the pitcher. Bailey is doing what he can to limit the running game, but if the pitcher does not hold the runner on and is slow to the plate, it gives the catcher little chance to get the runner out. The Giants have allowed the most stolen bases (74) in baseball. Something has to change there.
If you look at the runners thrown out throughout the Giants' farm system, there seems to be a systemic issue that the team is not addressing, or, possibly, doesn't care much about.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is distinct possibility that without Lee and other injuries that he would never have gotten his shot here and would have been a terrible loss to this Meh roster. :puke:

Imagine if you will if he didn't get his Chance here and him going to a rival whether in Division or like Stl. or other hated rivals. :puke:
To be fair, the trade rumors involving him and the FO’s lack of confidence in him was blind speculation from fans. I am unaware of anything coming from the org stating that they didn’t like him or that they tried to pawn him off on some unsuspecting putz team.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, the trade rumors involving him and the FO’s lack of confidence in him was blind speculation from fans. I am unaware of anything coming from the org stating that they didn’t like him or that they tried to pawn him off on some unsuspecting putz team.
The trade rumors were blind speculation but the FO's lack of confidence in him had some weight to it. They never really showed any desire to give him some space to play regularly at the big league level until they had no choice. I know that this is just my opinion, but I think Ramos' shine is almost in spite of the FO.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade rumors were blind speculation but the FO's lack of confidence in him had some weight to it. They never really showed any desire to give him some space to play regularly at the big league level until they had no choice. I know that this is just my opinion, but I think Ramos' shine is almost in spite of the FO.
Bread tastes REALLY good. But if you take it out of the oven before it has cooked properly, it tastes gooey and not right.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wRC+ leaders in 2024 (Min. 150 PA)
1. Aaron Judge: 207 wRC+
2. Steve Kwan: 191 wRC+
3. Juan Soto: 190 wRC+
4. David Fry: 180 wRC+
5. Heliot Ramos: 179 wRC+

LWJ not far off at 167.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Why for a day? Is he not ready? If not, then are they not able to have him there at all? Seems a bit strange that they'd want him off the IL for just one day.
He wants to participate on the roster. I imagine he would like to have his name on the roster card, and that is appropriate. Being there is cool, but if you aren’t on the actual roster, you might as well just buy a ticket.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Why for a day? Is he not ready? If not, then are they not able to have him there at all? Seems a bit strange that they'd want him off the IL for just one day.
Two things I think they're trying to balance:
1. LWJ, being black, really wants to play at Rickwood
2. He's physically not quite ready so the Giants don't want to activate him yet.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 40 days until the trade deadline, here are the teams that have double digit deficits in both divisional and wild card standings:
Chicago White Sox (28.0; 21.5); Oakland Athletics (16.0; 14.0); Miami Marlins (24.0; 11.5); Anaheim Angels (13.5; 11.5); and Colorado Rockies (20.0; 11.0).
Here are the 2024 off season free agents for these teams. I'm not including players who are free agents after 2025 as they are generally not shipped off unless they bring back a big haul.
Mike Clevinger, sp (ChW)
Chris Flexen, sp (ChW)
Michael Soroka, sp (ChW)
Ross Stripling, sp (Oak)
Alex Wood, sp (Oak)
Scott Alexander, rp (Oak)
Daniel Bard, rp (Col)
Jalen Beeks, rp (Col)
John Brebbia, rp (ChW) (25 mutual option)
Adam Cimber, rp (Ana)
Jose Cisnero, rp (Ana)
Carlos Estevez, rp (Ana)
Luis Garcia, rp (Ana)
Trevor Gott, rp (Ana)
TJ McFarland, rp (Mia)
Matt Moore, rp (Ana)
Tanner Scott, rp (Mia)
Paul DeJong, ss (ChW)
Elias Diaz, c (Col)
Martin Maldonado, c (ChW) (25 club option)
Jacob Stallings, c (Col) (25 mutual option)
Max Stassi, c (ChW) (25 club option)
Tim Anderson, ss (Mia)
Josh Bell, 1b (Mia)
Aledmys Diaz, ss (Oak)
Brandon Drury, 3b (Ana)
Yoan Moncada, 3b (ChW) (25 club option)
Miguel Sano, 1b (Ana)
Charlie Blackmon, of (Col)
Eloy Jimenez, of (ChW) (25 & 26 club options)
Tommy Pham, of (ChW)
Kevin Pillar, of (Ana)

I know that @msgkings322 wants Luis Robert, but I do wonder if the White Sox will trade him on a down year when he has a couple of seasons of control left and @tzill wants Bo Bichette but the Blue Jays are not quite out of it yet and their GM/ownership seems hestitant to get rid of either Bichette and Guerrero. Any names on this list seem like palatable trade acquisitions to anyone?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With 40 days until the trade deadline, here are the teams that have double digit deficits in both divisional and wild card standings:
Chicago White Sox (28.0; 21.5); Oakland Athletics (16.0; 14.0); Miami Marlins (24.0; 11.5); Anaheim Angels (13.5; 11.5); and Colorado Rockies (20.0; 11.0).
Here are the 2024 off season free agents for these teams. I'm not including players who are free agents after 2025 as they are generally not shipped off unless they bring back a big haul.
Mike Clevinger, sp (ChW)
Chris Flexen, sp (ChW)
Michael Soroka, sp (ChW)
Ross Stripling, sp (Oak)
Alex Wood, sp (Oak)
Scott Alexander, rp (Oak)
Daniel Bard, rp (Col)
Jalen Beeks, rp (Col)
John Brebbia, rp (ChW) (25 mutual option)
Adam Cimber, rp (Ana)
Jose Cisnero, rp (Ana)
Carlos Estevez, rp (Ana)
Luis Garcia, rp (Ana)
Trevor Gott, rp (Ana)
TJ McFarland, rp (Mia)
Matt Moore, rp (Ana)
Tanner Scott, rp (Mia)
Paul DeJong, ss (ChW)
Elias Diaz, c (Col)
Martin Maldonado, c (ChW) (25 club option)
Jacob Stallings, c (Col) (25 mutual option)
Max Stassi, c (ChW) (25 club option)
Tim Anderson, ss (Mia)
Josh Bell, 1b (Mia)
Aledmys Diaz, ss (Oak)
Brandon Drury, 3b (Ana)
Yoan Moncada, 3b (ChW) (25 club option)
Miguel Sano, 1b (Ana)
Charlie Blackmon, of (Col)
Eloy Jimenez, of (ChW) (25 & 26 club options)
Tommy Pham, of (ChW)
Kevin Pillar, of (Ana)

I know that @msgkings322 wants Luis Robert, but I do wonder if the White Sox will trade him on a down year when he has a couple of seasons of control left and @tzill wants Bo Bichette but the Blue Jays are not quite out of it yet and their GM/ownership seems hestitant to get rid of either Bichette and Guerrero. Any names on this list seem like palatable trade acquisitions to anyone?
I’d be very surprised if this front office empties the farm like they’d have to to get Robert.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants are linked to SS Luis Hernández, one of the top prospects of the 2026 international class out of Venezuela. He trains at Carlos Guillén Academy. At age 15, he’s already getting regular playing time against advanced competition.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants' pitching staff has a 4.45 ERA (6th-worst in MLB) in 2024.

Bro....ken.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's look around MLB and start with who are as close to sure fire buyers (or at least will stand pat at worst).

In the AL East, we have the Yankees with a half game lead over the Orioles. Neither will sell.
The Guardians have a 6 game lead in the AL Central. They are unlikely to sell.
The Mariners are doing even better in the AL West, with an 8 game lead.
Looking at the AL Wild Card standings, the Royals and Twins currently hold the 2nd and 3rd spots, with the Red Sox just 1 game back of the Twins.
As of today, there are at least 7 teams that look to be buyers or at least stay out of the trade market.

Over in the NL East, the Phillies have a 7 game lead.
The Brewers have a 6.5 game lead in the NL Central.
And the Dodgers have a 9 game lead in the NL West.
The Braves currently hold the first NL Wild Card spot while the Cardinals are in the 2nd spot and the Padres and Diamondbacks are tied for the 3rd spot.
Probably another 7 teams who will be buyers or stand pat.

That leaves 16 teams as potential sellers. As previously mentioned, there are 5 teams pretty much out of any playoff spot (unless they get really hot in the next couple of weeks). Two of those teams, however, are a bit unpredictable. Arte Moreno has never really been into fire sells and only jettisoned players last year to get under the luxury tax threshold. It is unknown if he'll want to trade players this year. And the Rockies seem to strangely hold on to their players every year, no more how bad the team is (which is generally been really bad the past few years). But for the purpose of this exercise, let's assume all 5 teams (White Sox, Angels, Athletics, Marlins and Rockies) are going to be sellers.

That leaves 11 teams in the murky middle. But where are they in the Wild Card races?
In the AL, there are 2 teams within 5 games of the last Wild Card spot (Red Sox and Rays). Ironically, it may be the Rays that could be the most likely sellers among this bunch. The Blue Jays, Tigers, Astros and Rangers are all within 5.5 to 6.5 games back of the 3rd spot. Thinking about their positions, none seem likely to be in selling mode right now. The Rangers won the last World Series. The Astros and Blue Jays both have committed a lot of money to their rosters and their owners/front office have said that they are likely to either buy or stand pat at the deadline. The Tigers have been in a slow growth spot and if they can stay in the race, are not likely to sell. Of course, if some of these teams fall further behind in the next month, things can change, but for right now, only the Rays seem to be likely sellers at this point.

Things are even more crazy in the NL Wild Card race. The Mets, Nationals, Pirates, Cubs, Reds and Giants are all within 1.5 games of the last Wild Card spot. The Cubs invested in their roster. I don't see them as sellers right now. The Mets punted last season and got some flak for it. Doubtful they do so again. The Reds are a team on the rise, they may invest rather than divest. FZ isn't a full sell FO man. So that leaves maybe the Pirates and Nationals. Both have struggled a bit for a few seasons now (okay, the Pirates have stunk for a long time). However, the Nationals' ownership have a history of investing in the team. It is possible that they see this year as the time to at least not remove players from the team and stand pat. The Pirates, however, have a goofy owner. It wouldn't surprise me at least if they stay in the thick of the race and still get dismantled.

So here is the way I see it, as of July 21st. There are anywhere from 4 to 7 sellers right now. I will rank them in order from most likely to sell to least likely to sell:
1. Oakland Athletics
2. Chicago White Sox
3. Miami Marlins
4. Colorado Rockies
5. Anaheim Angels
6. Pittsburgh Pirates
7. Tampa Bay Rays
I think we can count at least the top 3 to be sellers right now and the next 2 as seriously thinking about it.

But that least 23 teams who are either going to want to buy or stand pat. At least half of those teams (okay, 12 of them) will probably be serious buyers. Its going to be a extreme sellers' market this year.