• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade deadline thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier today Jeff Passan of Yahoosports.com had a report that Mariners ownership would not allow a trade of Hisashi Iwakuma. With the majority of the ownership now in the US I am skeptical that is the case. Zduriencik in his conference call said that he was treating Iwakuma like any other player on the Mariners when it comes to trades.

"Anything can happen," he said. "We've had discussion with clubs. You have to be open, you have to listen. There are players you think that are players that can be part of your organization going forward. Like any player on the roster we will have discussions, we'll listen to what other clubs have to say and at the end make the decision."

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Earlier today Jeff Passan of Yahoosports.com had a report that Mariners ownership would not allow a trade of Hisashi Iwakuma. With the majority of the ownership now in the US I am skeptical that is the case. Zduriencik in his conference call said that he was treating Iwakuma like any other player on the Mariners when it comes to trades.

"Anything can happen," he said. "We've had discussion with clubs. You have to be open, you have to listen. There are players you think that are players that can be part of your organization going forward. Like any player on the roster we will have discussions, we'll listen to what other clubs have to say and at the end make the decision."

That's absolutely ridiculous... Iwa is 34 years old and is going south in quickly... This is why this team will never succeed w/ this ownership...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Lowe is one of the few guys i'd want to keep... Our bullpen is very thin...

He is a free agent and we are going nowhere. You deal all that you can and retool the next year. That is how you replenish the farm. No need to keep him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If last year taught the M's front office anything, it should be that bullpen success if fleeting and unpredictable.

Lowe needs to be traded if there's anything to be had...and I guarantee that there is.

On the other hand, I'm not sure it will make a difference with Z doing it. He just gets raped over and over again.

The Mariners Paradox, example 1,256

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a free agent and we are going nowhere. You deal all that you can and retool the next year. That is how you replenish the farm. No need to keep him.

Yeah, that makes sense... Didn't realize he was a FA...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here we go with the mythology of dustin ackley

i guarantee that if he hits a little better in that litter box of a stadium, we'll see the crazies come out of the woodwork talking about the following myths:

1) his "high ceiling"
2) his amazing outfield defense

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
here we go with the mythology of dustin ackley

i guarantee that if he hits a little better in that litter box of a stadium, we'll see the crazies come out of the woodwork talking about the following myths:

1) his "high ceiling"
2) his amazing outfield defense
You know what, I actually think his numbers will be decent with NY and you are right we will hear the bullsheet you mentioned. I'm ok with it, he didn't have a role for us and he sucked with us. I kinda hope he does do well and resurrects his once promising career.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys think there's any chance that you can make a qualifing offer to Kuma or Austin Jackson at the end of the year and they sign with another team. I like the idea of the new regime getting some extra draft picks.

I think you could do that with Jackson because he has to be looking for a multi-year deal.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno what that is supposed to mean... seeing as I am Jewish.

Maybe it means nothing. Or maybe it means there is a very large Jewish population in NYC and Dustin might feel comfortable there. Shalom.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys think there's any chance that you can make a qualifing offer to Kuma or Austin Jackson at the end of the year and they sign with another team. I like the idea of the new regime getting some extra draft picks.

I think you could do that with Jackson because he has to be looking for a multi-year deal.
You can't trade draft picks in MLB, it's not like football.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't trade draft picks in MLB, it's not like football.

If you extend a qualifying offer to a free agent and they sign with another team, you get that team's highest draft pick in return. He wasn't indicating trading picks exactly.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you extend a qualifying offer to a free agent and they sign with another team, you get that team's highest draft pick in return. He wasn't indicating trading picks exactly.
Good point E, you're right.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not 100% sure, but don't think it works that way anymore. I think you get a sandwich pick and the signing team loses its highest pick depending on if the guy was an 'A' or 'B' type free agent.

Correct me if I am wrong.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not 100% sure, but don't think it works that way anymore. I think you get a sandwich pick and the signing team loses its highest pick depending on if the guy was an 'A' or 'B' type free agent.

Correct me if I am wrong.
I think it has to do with the amount of the qualifying offer and where the first round picks fall. I think the top 13 picks are protected or something like that.