• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Coach Byron Scott

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, outside of Kareem, who has been a special consultant for awhile, I doubt any of the other guys will be involved much. Magic has the Dodgers, Rambis was hired by someone else, Worthy seems happy in his analysts job and Wilkes has never shown an interest in coaching. They were just at the presser to support Byron.

I agree about the "L" logo. Never liked that one.

I have read a few articles over time that ( for the guys still around) will and have done some type of minor coaching for some scratch here and there. Magic most certainly will help any way he can and always has. I'm sure he's a big enough CEO/bigwig what ever that doesn't need to be behind a desk often.But yeah maybe not during baseball season even though he really isn't a majority owner with 2.3 percent of the total cost invested.

and Jeremy Lin will increase the Asian female crowd at games :yahoo:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they are all still involved with the team in some way or another. The Lakers have always been good about taking care of former Lakers. But I'd be surprised to see any of them (with the possible exception of Kareem) actually going as far as being a bench coach.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am thrilled regardless of his flaws and Byron Scott is not the best coach in the NBA, but I do believe he is the best coach available and is also the best coach for the Lakers. He has a history with the Lakers which makes him the second best next to Phil Jackson. We know now that Jerry Bussed endorsed his hire before he died, but Scott wasn't available at the time and we got stuck with Brown and D'antoni.

Scott has a lot of work, but I can see him being around for the next decade with some luck
Dr. Buss endorsed D'antoni also.

9-11-13

“We did the coaching search and interviews and fed him all the information,” Buss said. “And he said, ‘This is who I want. D’Antoni’s the man.’ Knowing that in the future we had to rebuild, he felt that Phil was not a guy to rebuild. It’s not fair to him. It was actually more of a respectful thought towards Phil.”

Dr. Jerry Buss On Mike D'Antoni Hiring: 'This Is Who I Want' | Lakers Nation

Other than Magic saying it....there's no proof that Jerry said he wanted Scott.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, they are all still involved with the team in some way or another. The Lakers have always been good about taking care of former Lakers. But I'd be surprised to see any of them (with the possible exception of Kareem) actually going as far as being a bench coach.

I would love to see Kareem work with Randle.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dr. Buss endorsed D'antoni also.

9-11-13

“We did the coaching search and interviews and fed him all the information,” Buss said. “And he said, ‘This is who I want. D’Antoni’s the man.’ Knowing that in the future we had to rebuild, he felt that Phil was not a guy to rebuild. It’s not fair to him. It was actually more of a respectful thought towards Phil.”

Dr. Jerry Buss On Mike D'Antoni Hiring: 'This Is Who I Want' | Lakers Nation

Other than Magic saying it....there's no proof that Jerry said he wanted Scott.

That was actually Jimmy Buss stating that his father endorsed D'Antoni, so in the same sense there is no proof that Jerry wanted D'Antoni.

I'm skeptical about Jerry having endorsed D'Antoni. Jerry was in very poor health and died not long after D'Antoni was hired. Phil Jackson doesn't believe Jerry was in any capacity to make such a decision. I think this was a sibling rivalry power move on Jimmy's part.

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Magic won't be on his coaching staff. Neither will Silk. Cap could be but there really isn't a center to work with anymore. Sacre I guess, but his ceiling is pretty low. Maybe Coop if he's healthy and able.

LAKERSUSCBAM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ecstatic about the hire....yup on what others said about he bringing some old Lakers lore/luster to the squad. Successful where he's been for the most part and will have a chance to elevate the potential of some of the younger players, in particular.

Best part about his presser was talking the need to improve the D vs. last few years....won't happen overnight but one must have hope and this Lakers/Byron fan does.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Magic won't be on his coaching staff. Neither will Silk. Cap could be but there really isn't a center to work with anymore. Sacre I guess, but his ceiling is pretty low. Maybe Coop if he's healthy and able.

they don't need to be officially on any coaching staff. Ex players are often asked to just help a guy learn something by a former team with no need to be there 24/7.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was actually Jimmy Buss stating that his father endorsed D'Antoni, so in the same sense there is no proof that Jerry wanted D'Antoni.

I'm skeptical about Jerry having endorsed D'Antoni. Jerry was in very poor health and died not long after D'Antoni was hired. Phil Jackson doesn't believe Jerry was in any capacity to make such a decision. I think this was a sibling rivalry power move on Jimmy's part.

True, but Phil did announce that 2010-11 season would be his last before Scott signed with the Cavs. You would have thought that if Dr. Buss was interested in Scott.....Byron would have caught wind of that and waited for his "dream job"

Maybe Jimmy said that Jerry was the one who wanted Mike D. in case that Mike flopped and the blame couldn't be put on Jimmy for hiring him?? He was just doing what his dad said??

Regardless, not sure if the fans will have the patience with Scott. Might expect too much too soon. He's stressing D and taking about using the Princeton offense while Magic's tweeting "Showtime's BACK!!!"

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but Phil did announce that 2010-11 season would be his last before Scott signed with the Cavs. You would have thought that if Dr. Buss was interested in Scott.....Byron would have caught wind of that and waited for his "dream job"

Maybe Jimmy said that Jerry was the one who wanted Mike D. in case that Mike flopped and the blame couldn't be put on Jimmy for hiring him?? He was just doing what his dad said??

Regardless, not sure if the fans will have the patience with Scott. Might expect too much too soon. He's stressing D and taking about using the Princeton offense while Magic's tweeting "Showtime's BACK!!!"

Fans will be a lot more patient with Byron Scott than they were with Mike D'Antoni. Aside from Byron being a former Laker, he won't be "the guy the Lakers hired instead of Phil".

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fans will be a lot more patient with Byron Scott than they were with Mike D'Antoni. Aside from Byron being a former Laker, he won't be "the guy the Lakers hired instead of Phil".
LA fans want offense. That's what Mike D. was known for....run and gun

Byron's stressing Defense right off the bat (which is a good thing) while Magic is sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong saying "showtime is back."

He needs to STFU and worry about the Dodgers. Thought it was very odd that Magic was the first to speak at Byron's hiring press conference.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA fans want offense. That's what Mike D. was known for....run and gun

Byron's stressing Defense right off the bat (which is a good thing) while Magic is sticking his nose in where it doesn't belong saying "showtime is back."

He needs to STFU and worry about the Dodgers. Thought it was very odd that Magic was the first to speak at Byron's hiring press conference.

No, LA fans want a respectable defense with that offense. Do you know how mad LA fans were with the lack of focus Mike D put on defense in practice?

And why is it odd that Magic spoke? You thought he wasn't cool with the Lakers no more?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers fans never just want offense with little to no defense. We aren't used to that. All our championship teams had respectable to good defense.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, LA fans want a respectable defense with that offense. Do you know how mad LA fans were with the lack of focus Mike D put on defense in practice?

And why is it odd that Magic spoke? You thought he wasn't cool with the Lakers no more?
Thought it was kind of cheezy that Mitch didn't give Byron the mic right away after introducing him. Of course past players are going to endorse the hire.

Just felt like LA was using past players to beef up Byron's hiring. They kind of took the spotlight off of Scott which shouldn't have been the case.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought it was kind of cheezy that Mitch didn't give Byron the mic right away after introducing him. Of course past players are going to endorse the hire.

Just felt like LA was using past players to beef up Byron's hiring. They kind of took the spotlight off of Scott which shouldn't have been the case.

:L

Just... stop talking!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you assume that just because Phil has a lot of rings. He could take over any team, no matter how lacking in talent and turn them into contenders, even though Phil has NEVER had to build a team.

When Phil has had non-championship contender rosters, he has done nothing special with them. In the 2 seasons when MJ played baseball, Phil won zero titles, even though he still had Pippen and most of the roster from the previous 3 titles.

When he had Kobe and not a lot else, he got 1st round playoff exits. In his last 2 seasons, he couldn't get the Lakers past the 2nd round, even in his final season when the team was supposed to be motivated to "get him one last ring".

For the record, I have never been impressed with Phil's coaching. I have always been impressed with his ability to manage ego's. When Phil has had championship rosters, he's had championship results. When he hasn't, he didn't even make the finals. Larry Brown getting the Sixers to the finals was more impressive than Phil getting the Lakers there and so was Byron getting the Nets to the finals twice.

For whatever reason, you want to act like Byron can't coach, but the facts say otherwise. Phil's record shows that he wouldn't have accomplished much, if any, more than Byron did if given the same teams with the same rosters.

I never said he'd make them championship contenders. I said he'd get more out of them, which is a reasonable assessment to make because you know, 11 championships doesn't come along just because you happen to be sitting in the chair while the plane is on autopilot. They were horrible under Scott but with Phil, mid-30s win totals with late teens efficiency ratings isn't out of the question. You are really underestimating the impact of Phil Jackson and great coaches in general. Pops has never coached a true rebuild either, you think he couldn't do any better with that Cleveland roster as well? You're really grasping if you're using this line of thinking to justify Scott and dismiss his failings in Cleveland.

And I don't think I've ever once said Bryon Scott can't coach. I've said he's an average coach. You can still reach the Finals as an average coach. Mike Brown and Avery Johnson are recent examples. But that accomplishment doesn't make them "good". Scott is an average coach with a lot of baggage. Baggage that's getting conveniently lost at the LAX terminal by most fans than if he never played for the Lakers.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said he'd make them championship contenders. I said he'd get more out of them, which is a reasonable assessment to make because you know, 11 championships doesn't come along just because you happen to be sitting in the chair while the plane is on autopilot. They were horrible under Scott but with Phil, mid-30s win totals with late teens efficiency ratings isn't out of the question. You are really underestimating the impact of Phil Jackson and great coaches in general. Pops has never coached a true rebuild either, you think he couldn't do any better with that Cleveland roster as well? You're really grasping if you're using this line of thinking to justify Scott and dismiss his failings in Cleveland.

And I don't think I've ever once said Bryon Scott can't coach. I've said he's an average coach. You can still reach the Finals as an average coach. Mike Brown and Avery Johnson are recent examples. But that accomplishment doesn't make them "good". Scott is an average coach with a lot of baggage. Baggage that's getting conveniently lost at the LAX terminal by most fans than if he never played for the Lakers.

I'm not assuming any more than you are, in fact, I'm assuming less than you are. You assume that Phil could go into Cleveland and do something he's never done or shown any ability to do. He's never gotten a team to perform above it's capability or advance further than expected. Not one time has he done that. Byron Scott has.

The only reason Phil has titles is because he walked into ready made situations that virtually any coach would have succeeded in, including Byron Scott. Sorry to burst your Phil bubble, but the only thing he's proven to be great at is managing ego's.

As for Pop, I've seen him outcoach Phil more than once. Including in series where Phil's team beat his because of the talent difference. The triangle offense that Phil is so famous for, isn't even his offense. It's Tex Winter's offense and he's been the main one who teaches it for Phil.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't quite agree with you Trojanfan and I get what you're saying but I don't think anyone including Phil Jackson expected the Lakers to go straight to the finals and win a title in his first run with the Lakers. Phil himself told the fans that it might take a few years and yet he made changes to the roster that made a difference. I think Phil was responsible for bringing in both Ron Harper and Horris Grant and his past 9 championships gave him an edge. Lets also remember one more thing: Before Phil Jackson, Michael Jordan had never won a title. It took Phil Jackson to get him there. In Phil Jackson's second run, it took a few years and he had to rebuild that team. While neither team was a complete rebuild from zero, they were not exactly made for title runs instantly either.

I would agree that unlike Phil Jackson who had more to start with, Byron Scott had much less to work with, and while I am ecstatic with the Scott as head coach, it's not like he has won championships yet either. Scott is going to make mistakes, but if Lakers fans are patient, then we will see the Lakers being a marquee team again after Kobe has retired.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not assuming any more than you are, in fact, I'm assuming less than you are. You assume that Phil could go into Cleveland and do something he's never done or shown any ability to do. He's never gotten a team to perform above it's capability or advance further than expected. Not one time has he done that. Byron Scott has.

The only reason Phil has titles is because he walked into ready made situations that virtually any coach would have succeeded in, including Byron Scott. Sorry to burst your Phil bubble, but the only thing he's proven to be great at is managing ego's.

As for Pop, I've seen him outcoach Phil more than once. Including in series where Phil's team beat his because of the talent difference. The triangle offense that Phil is so famous for, isn't even his offense. It's Tex Winter's offense and he's been the main one who teaches it for Phil.

Then if Phil's coaching ability mattered that little, why even bother to use him the statement you made?

His record was over .500 before coaching in Cleveland. Phil's record would be under .500 if he had to coach that Cavs team that Byron had for the last 3 seasons.

Why pick him? Because what that looks like is you picked a great coach to show that even they couldn't turn it around, thus absolving Scott for his failures in Cleveland. So you're at least implying that Phil is a great coach. Why else bring him up? But you can't be a great coach if you just rode ready made teams. Especially not to 11 titles. Basketball does not work that way he's way more essential than you're willing to admit.

And with Pop? I didn't ask if he was better than Phil. I asked if you thought he could do any better with the Cavs than Scott.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't quite agree with you Trojanfan and I get what you're saying but I don't think anyone including Phil Jackson expected the Lakers to go straight to the finals and win a title in his first run with the Lakers. Phil himself told the fans that it might take a few years and yet he made changes to the roster that made a difference. I think Phil was responsible for bringing in both Ron Harper and Horris Grant and his past 9 championships gave him an edge. Lets also remember one more thing: Before Phil Jackson, Michael Jordan had never won a title. It took Phil Jackson to get him there. In Phil Jackson's second run, it took a few years and he had to rebuild that team. While neither team was a complete rebuild from zero, they were not exactly made for title runs instantly either.

I would agree that unlike Phil Jackson who had more to start with, Byron Scott had much less to work with, and while I am ecstatic with the Scott as head coach, it's not like he has won championships yet either. Scott is going to make mistakes, but if Lakers fans are patient, then we will see the Lakers being a marquee team again after Kobe has retired.

I disagree about Phil, he claimed that he thought they wouldn't win it in his first year, but I'm not buying it. That team was one of the favorites to win the title and had already had a few playoff runs before Phil took over. In fact, they had been to the Western Conference Semi-Finals twice and the Western Conference finals once in the 3 seasons before Phil took over.

I'm a Lakers fan and love that Phil was able to bring 5 more titles to the organization, but people love to give him credit for and assume he's capable of doing stuff he's never done.