• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Coach Byron Scott

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,643.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
press conference right now-

Byron's coaching record is below .500. I wonder how good he might actually be for the team ?

Cooper couldnt make it there because he had surgery Dream says coach Michael Cooper has successful surgery for tongue cancer, to return soon | Fox News

Cooper-Lakers-Socks.jpg

Scott also took over major rebuilds in NJ (went to 2 NBA Finals), New Orleans and Cleveland. With NO, they lost in 7 games in WC semifinals against SA and Cleveland? Head-case Irving got him fired.

He's also 33-24 (58%) in the playoffs.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at where his first 2 teams were in his first year with each and at how quickly they started winning with him as coach. He's never walked in to a team that was ready to win like Phil Jackson did.

The first year with the Nets had Stephon Marbury, they traded for Kidd and the wins went up. First year in NO, they were bad, drafted Chris Paul, the wins went up. I'd say those players had more of an impact than Scott just coaching them up.

Plus, you're really undervaluing Phil. He definitely could have gotten more wins out of Cleveland. Hell, even Mike Brown got more out of Cleveland than Scott did, especially on defense which is supposedly Scott's thing.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look, I hope he does well but he's just a ball coach right now. He's below .500 lifetime in 12 years.

that is called not good at all. to be frank 58% in playoff wins means absolutely nothing with the amount of teams that make it every year and he only has 5 more wins than losses in playoffs.

it will be interesting to see if he's gained some sort of experience the last 12 years that makes him a better coach because his past says 'no'

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first year with the Nets had Stephon Marbury, they traded for Kidd and the wins went up. First year in NO, they were bad, drafted Chris Paul, the wins went up. I'd say those players had more of an impact than Scott just coaching them up.

Plus, you're really undervaluing Phil. He definitely could have gotten more wins out of Cleveland. Hell, even Mike Brown got more out of Cleveland than Scott did, especially on defense which is supposedly Scott's thing.

You've got to be kidding. Phil took over the Bulls just as MJ was hitting his prime and Pippen figured out that he was pretty good.

Then he takes over the Shaq/Kobe Lakers while Shaq was still dominant and Kobe was entering his prime.

You or I could win a lot of games coaching teams like that. I love that Phil coached the Lakers to 5 titles. But let's not pretend he's ever had to develop a team. What he's done, is manage ego's.

Of course, Byron's first 2 teams got better when they picked up better players, that's kind of how it works. To say his coaching didn't have much to do with it is pretty ridiculous. He took over in Cleveland 6 days before The Decision and the team improved each season. Mike Brown took over a team that Scott had been developing and won 33 games. No reason to think they wouldn't have the same improvement or better if he'd have stayed.

When he was hired in Cleveland, CP3 called Lebron and told him that Cleveland had just hired the coach he's been looking for.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the difference this time may be the intangibles. B. Scott is coming home and there is a lot of Lakers history and winning tradition to draw from that he was a part of that really boosts an ex-player like Scott who is now a coach. It is what Pat Riley said during the memorial service for Dr. Buss. "I am home". And he smiled and later stated that coming back to the hallowed halls of Lakerland having participated in creating that tradition elevates one's motivation to repeat it. Now I don't expect non-Laker fans to understand, but I suspect it will play into what I believe is going to be a surprising season for a lot of people.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look, I hope he does well but he's just a ball coach right now. He's below .500 lifetime in 12 years.

that is called not good at all. to be frank 58% in playoff wins means absolutely nothing with the amount of teams that make it every year and he only has 5 more wins than losses in playoffs.

it will be interesting to see if he's gained some sort of experience the last 12 years that makes him a better coach because his past says 'no'

If you are unable to grasp the difference between taking over re-builds at all 3 of his stops and improving those teams and taking over a team that actually already has solid pieces. I can't help you.

He took over a Nets team that was terrible. He won 26 games in his first season and then took them to 2 straight finals.

He took over a Hornets team that won 18 games in his 1st season, took them to back to back playoff appearances and was Coach of the Year for '07-'08 season.

Neither franchise has seen the level of success since he left that they saw with him.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are unable to grasp the difference between taking over re-builds at all 3 of his stops and improving those teams and taking over a team that actually already has solid pieces. I can't help you.

He took over a Nets team that was terrible. He won 26 games in his first season and then took them to 2 straight finals.

He took over a Hornets team that won 18 games in his 1st season, took them to back to back playoff appearances and was Coach of the Year for '07-'08 season.

Neither franchise has seen the level of success since he left that they saw with him.
Damn good comment!!!

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like Byron Scott alot as a coach. For the Lakers, you guys should be thrilled that he said the first thing you guys are going to work on is defense. Offense is nice. But defense wins championships.

Byron Scott gets a bum rap for not being able to win in Cleveland. That roster and that management was about as incompetent as it can get. It won't be an instant turnaround, but he will be successful in LA.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

again, half the league makes the damn playoffs. That stat doesn't mean crapolsky

theres been bunch of successful Frank Layden type coaches in the league for years. No one gives a damn because they didn't win the big one or barely got second place.

Scott has to prove he's worth a damn in the second season.

he hasn't done anything worth taking notice of for 10 years when it comes to what LA is all about.

and that is nothing but Championships !!

:suds: don't misunderstand me. I root for him to succeed !!!!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to be kidding. Phil took over the Bulls just as MJ was hitting his prime and Pippen figured out that he was pretty good.

Then he takes over the Shaq/Kobe Lakers while Shaq was still dominant and Kobe was entering his prime.

You or I could win a lot of games coaching teams like that. I love that Phil coached the Lakers to 5 titles. But let's not pretend he's ever had to develop a team. What he's done, is manage ego's.

Of course, Byron's first 2 teams got better when they picked up better players, that's kind of how it works. To say his coaching didn't have much to do with it is pretty ridiculous. He took over in Cleveland 6 days before The Decision and the team improved each season. Mike Brown took over a team that Scott had been developing and won 33 games. No reason to think they wouldn't have the same improvement or better if he'd have stayed.

When he was hired in Cleveland, CP3 called Lebron and told him that Cleveland had just hired the coach he's been looking for.

Ok, so now you're gonna knock Phil down a peg to further convince yourself that Byron Scott is a good hire. Let's ignore all the Cleveland stuff because even the (arguably) greatest coach of all time would have done the same. I know you were skeptical of Scott before and you've said you've come around on him but you're really stretching it now if that's part of your justifications. Yeah, Phil had talent. But you have to be a great coach to win 11 titles. Managing egos doesn't get you that far. If you really think he wouldn't be capable of getting more out a weaker roster, then I don't know what else to say to you.

And there is reason to think the Cavs wouldn't have improved under Scott. It's because they were absolutely dreadful under him. Toss out the 1st sans-Lebron year if you want, that's fine. But in the 2 years after, there was zero player development. Defensively, Scott's calling card, it was total chaos. No sense of a system or any basic guidelines. He totally failed to teach the roster anything. Enter Mike Brown and he actually bumps up their defensive play. They weren't great but you could actually see a semblance of an NBA team. This current LA roster is similar to those Cavs rosters; the bulk is younger guys that need some developing. And the last time Scott had a team like that, it went horribly. That's what should concern LA fans the most. But most fans are glossing it over with "Oh, its Cleveland" and "Bryon is a Laker. He gets it more".

And good for CP3 for saying that. But that doesn't change the fact that the Hornets, including CP3, quit on Scott which led to getting him fired. I distinctly remember the late season/playoffs before his firing watching games, seeing none of those Hornets players paying any attention to Scott during team huddles. They had zero confidence in his ability to make in game adjustments and game management skills. NO toyed with the idea of firing him, but didn't. They started the next season poorly because those issues remained and fired him in season. The same thing happened in NJ. The players stopped believing in him due to his shortcomings as a coach and they fired him midseason. You have to really lose a team to be fired in season and that happened twice.

Scott is not a great coach. He's not even a good coach. He's an average coach. He has way more short comings than most Lakers fans are mentioning. If he didn't have a history in LA as a player, most of those same LA fans would be saying "F'N Short Buss screwed us again!". His offense is super bland (mostly high p&r with no actions off of it), and his defense isn't much better, relying mostly on elite players than actual team defensive schemes and rules. If he is to turn around the Lakers, he's going to have to change quite a bit to how he's done in the past. Maybe he will, maybe he has learned. I hope he does turn it around. I just think there's a lot more evidence to say he won't than there is that he will.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Byron Scott alot as a coach. For the Lakers, you guys should be thrilled that he said the first thing you guys are going to work on is defense. Offense is nice. But defense wins championships.

Byron Scott gets a bum rap for not being able to win in Cleveland. That roster and that management was about as incompetent as it can get. It won't be an instant turnaround, but he will be successful in LA.

I am thrilled regardless of his flaws and Byron Scott is not the best coach in the NBA, but I do believe he is the best coach available and is also the best coach for the Lakers. He has a history with the Lakers which makes him the second best next to Phil Jackson. We know now that Jerry Bussed endorsed his hire before he died, but Scott wasn't available at the time and we got stuck with Brown and D'antoni.

Scott has a lot of work, but I can see him being around for the next decade with some luck

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, half the league makes the damn playoffs. That stat doesn't mean crapolsky

theres been bunch of successful Frank Layden type coaches in the league for years. No one gives a damn because they didn't win the big one or barely got second place.

Scott has to prove he's worth a damn in the second season.

he hasn't done anything worth taking notice of for 10 years when it comes to what LA is all about.

and that is nothing but Championships !!

:suds: don't misunderstand me. I root for him to succeed !!!!

I disagree, he took the Nets to the playoffs and turned them around and then did the same thing in New Orleans. He was handed a dismal team in Cleveland that had no chance of winning. I think he has a good shot at succeeding. Enough of you naysayers already - some one get the person who gets rid of demonic spirits and exercise this board

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Hill >>>> Anderson Varejão
Carlos Boozer/ Julius Randle >>>> Antawn Jamison
Nick Young >>>> Alonzo Gee
Kobe Bryant >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anthony Parker
Jeremy Lin/Steve Nash >> Baron Davis

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so now you're gonna knock Phil down a peg to further convince yourself that Byron Scott is a good hire. Let's ignore all the Cleveland stuff because even the (arguably) greatest coach of all time would have done the same. I know you were skeptical of Scott before and you've said you've come around on him but you're really stretching it now if that's part of your justifications. Yeah, Phil had talent. But you have to be a great coach to win 11 titles. Managing egos doesn't get you that far. If you really think he wouldn't be capable of getting more out a weaker roster, then I don't know what else to say to you.

And there is reason to think the Cavs wouldn't have improved under Scott. It's because they were absolutely dreadful under him. Toss out the 1st sans-Lebron year if you want, that's fine. But in the 2 years after, there was zero player development. Defensively, Scott's calling card, it was total chaos. No sense of a system or any basic guidelines. He totally failed to teach the roster anything. Enter Mike Brown and he actually bumps up their defensive play. They weren't great but you could actually see a semblance of an NBA team. This current LA roster is similar to those Cavs rosters; the bulk is younger guys that need some developing. And the last time Scott had a team like that, it went horribly. That's what should concern LA fans the most. But most fans are glossing it over with "Oh, its Cleveland" and "Bryon is a Laker. He gets it more".

And good for CP3 for saying that. But that doesn't change the fact that the Hornets, including CP3, quit on Scott which led to getting him fired. I distinctly remember the late season/playoffs before his firing watching games, seeing none of those Hornets players paying any attention to Scott during team huddles. They had zero confidence in his ability to make in game adjustments and game management skills. NO toyed with the idea of firing him, but didn't. They started the next season poorly because those issues remained and fired him in season. The same thing happened in NJ. The players stopped believing in him due to his shortcomings as a coach and they fired him midseason. You have to really lose a team to be fired in season and that happened twice.

Scott is not a great coach. He's not even a good coach. He's an average coach. He has way more short comings than most Lakers fans are mentioning. If he didn't have a history in LA as a player, most of those same LA fans would be saying "F'N Short Buss screwed us again!". His offense is super bland (mostly high p&r with no actions off of it), and his defense isn't much better, relying mostly on elite players than actual team defensive schemes and rules. If he is to turn around the Lakers, he's going to have to change quite a bit to how he's done in the past. Maybe he will, maybe he has learned. I hope he does turn it around. I just think there's a lot more evidence to say he won't than there is that he will.

And you assume that just because Phil has a lot of rings. He could take over any team, no matter how lacking in talent and turn them into contenders, even though Phil has NEVER had to build a team.

When Phil has had non-championship contender rosters, he has done nothing special with them. In the 2 seasons when MJ played baseball, Phil won zero titles, even though he still had Pippen and most of the roster from the previous 3 titles.

When he had Kobe and not a lot else, he got 1st round playoff exits. In his last 2 seasons, he couldn't get the Lakers past the 2nd round, even in his final season when the team was supposed to be motivated to "get him one last ring".

For the record, I have never been impressed with Phil's coaching. I have always been impressed with his ability to manage ego's. When Phil has had championship rosters, he's had championship results. When he hasn't, he didn't even make the finals. Larry Brown getting the Sixers to the finals was more impressive than Phil getting the Lakers there and so was Byron getting the Nets to the finals twice.

For whatever reason, you want to act like Byron can't coach, but the facts say otherwise. Phil's record shows that he wouldn't have accomplished much, if any, more than Byron did if given the same teams with the same rosters.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Besides that no one is knocking Phil Jackson for what he accomplished. In each case Phil, however was handed a team with at-least one or more elite players on roster. In Cleveland the best Cleveland had was a rookie in his first year. No one could have done better with that pile of shit. Lets tell it straight before you start knocking a coach down without some valid reasons

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even when you try to use the failed argument that half of the teams make the playoffs, then you could say half of the teams don't so that would mean or indicate half of the coaches aren't worth crap and are completely worthless for being so stupid that they couldn't make the playoffs. Using that thought in mind - I want a coach smarter than that and Byron Scott took 2 of 3 teams to the playoffs - teams that hadn't made the playoffs in a decade or more, so I will gladly take my chances with the guy and see if he can make it 3 of 4 because that is the best the Lakers can get right now

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Scott adapts. He has taken a few jobs on terrible teams with no chance of winning. I think he is finally in the right place with the right support and is going to make a very good head coach. Lakers will be improved, the key will be getting the backups in the games and get them experience early. If he plays his aging starters 38-40 minutes a game its gonna be an injury riddled season. No way they are worse than they were last season. They will have cap room and get a nice team soon.

We will see what happens with the other LA team, big mess and the Seattle boy paying 2 billion dollars might find a way to move that team to his backyard. That gives free agents one LA option again.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the funny/cool part is..

basically the great Lakers from the 80s are still part of the organization and have been and will be specialty/position coaches in one capacity or another. The players will be annoyed by being driven to be great LOL Kareem/Magic/Cooper/Worthy/Rambis/Scott

lakers80s.jpg

tumblr_krh11sJKd51qzb7vjo1_500.jpg

while youre at it , get rid of that stupid L-logo

7d6c261f318bf6383fde4cb76659edb1_400x400.png

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the funny/cool part is..

basically the great Lakers from the 80s are still part of the organization and have been and will be specialty/position coaches in one capacity or another. The players will be annoyed by being driven to be great LOL Kareem/Magic/Cooper/Worthy/Rambis/Scott

lakers80s.jpg

tumblr_krh11sJKd51qzb7vjo1_500.jpg

while youre at it , get rid of that stupid L-logo

7d6c261f318bf6383fde4cb76659edb1_400x400.png

Meh, outside of Kareem, who has been a special consultant for awhile, I doubt any of the other guys will be involved much. Magic has the Dodgers, Rambis was hired by someone else, Worthy seems happy in his analysts job and Wilkes has never shown an interest in coaching. They were just at the presser to support Byron.

I agree about the "L" logo. Never liked that one.