• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Coach Byron Scott

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the best coach left. Maybe this is the start of something good.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I think it will be Inimical. I think this is the continuation of a rebuild process that started last year.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll miss ridiculing the two previous Lakers coaches. For Scott's sake, I hope the Lakers understand he's not going to have this team in contention immediately.

If you are talking about Lakers fans, then forget about it. Most think we should win a ship every year.

Heatles84

Hoopla Cash
$ 654.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are talking about Lakers fans, then forget about it. Most think we should win a ship every year.

We're in the same boat. I keep trying to rationalize how important Lebron was to our last two titles. I think we got a chance :whistle:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the things that won me over is how badly he wants the job. He's been lobbying for it since day 1. It seems like he's done everything but publically beg for the job. That tells me that this isn't just another coaching job to him.

IMO, its more like the Lakers were the only job he knew he could get so of course he was all about it. Because if you read stuff about what others think of him around the league, he generates very little interest. This is basically his last shot to stay in the league.

I'm not a fan of his as a coach but knew his hire was inevitable once I saw LA wasn't really paying much attention to better candidates. I don't much care for his style and think its too outdated for the way the game plays today (unless he's dramatically altered it). And it really says something about a guy that it every team he's coached has turned on him. You can overlook that stuff once but 3 times is a trend.

If he proves me wrong, fine. I want him to. I'll be the first to admit it. But I think the most likely outcome is he's a placeholder. LA won't show any substantial improvement and he'll be out in 2 to 3 years and LA will enter the FA market saying "Hey *insert big name player*! Come to LA and you can pick your coach!"

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, its more like the Lakers were the only job he knew he could get so of course he was all about it. Because if you read stuff about what others think of him around the league, he generates very little interest. This is basically his last shot to stay in the league.

I'm not a fan of his as a coach but knew his hire was inevitable once I saw LA wasn't really paying much attention to better candidates. I don't much care for his style and think its too outdated for the way the game plays today (unless he's dramatically altered it). And it really says something about a guy that it every team he's coached has turned on him. You can overlook that stuff once but 3 times is a trend.

If he proves me wrong, fine. I want him to. I'll be the first to admit it. But I think the most likely outcome is he's a placeholder. LA won't show any substantial improvement and he'll be out in 2 to 3 years and LA will enter the FA market saying "Hey *insert big name player*! Come to LA and you can pick your coach!"

Better candidates?!?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better candidates?!?

Karl, the Van Gundys, Hollins, Brown (for a couple of years at least), were all better candidates. I'd even rather taken a chance on Kevin Ollie and there's a couple of assistants worth a look too. I don't care that Scott made the Finals over 10 years ago. His more recent red flags are too much for me.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

tumblr_mn0ed5f4JB1qlmqp7o1_1280.jpg

The dream is over.

th

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Karl, the Van Gundys, Hollins, Brown (for a couple of years at least), were all better candidates. I'd even rather taken a chance on Kevin Ollie and there's a couple of assistants worth a look too. I don't care that Scott made the Finals over 10 years ago. His more recent red flags are too much for me.

I think you can make the same case about Karl? His style of coaching can be called outdated as well. What has a Karl coached team done as of recent memory? Im with you on the Van Gundy's. I dont think Ollie was really an option, he seems to prefer to stay on the collegiate level and get a little more seasoned.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree to disagree. Karl is mainly an offensive minded coach. We might as well have kept D'Antoni. Hollins got released from Memphis for a reason, and the Van Gundys were never an option.

Every coach has red flags. But i'd rather have a true Laker coaching our team that doesn't see this gig as merely a paycheck. And let's not forget, Scott was an analyst for TWC last year - he pretty much saw every game last year and knows where to improve.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOLD y'all lol...

yessiiirrreee bob, Morningside HS ONCE AGAIN representing in the NBA...

Go Monarchs...:suds:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron scott was a strict confident coach in Cleveland, getting stuck in the lebron tornado leaving town. If they hired him instead of D'Antoni, you wouldnt have Randle, but you would have Pau, Dwight, Kobe and Nash.

This should be something for Nick Youngs growth. He will instill discipline in that kid and make him a star.

Experts claim scott should be asking for a long contract so he can continue being paid when Buss lets him go, say that is the holdup of the hire.

no question he deserves more than Fischer, Kerr, Kidd. Doubt he gets more.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree. Karl is mainly an offensive minded coach. We might as well have kept D'Antoni. Hollins got released from Memphis for a reason, and the Van Gundys were never an option.

Every coach has red flags. But i'd rather have a true Laker coaching our team that doesn't see this gig as merely a paycheck. And let's not forget, Scott was an analyst for TWC last year - he pretty much saw every game last year and knows where to improve.

This kind of thinking his highly overrated by fans on multiple levels. They can't separate their own fandom from the realities of coaching an NBA team. For one thing "being a Laker" doesn't mean much. It's not a video game where your coaching abilities get +10 level boost because he played for the Lakers. Same thing applies to anyone else, not just Scott and the Lakers. Kevin McHale's pride and love for the organization wouldn't transform the Cs into a playoff contender just because he went back to Boston. Secondly, you'd be hard pressed to find an NBA coach that is just "cashing dem checks" so it's not like he's unique in this aspect. And finally, the analyst part is meaningless. The first thing new coaches do when they get a job is watch game film of the previous season to their analyze players. Not broadcast feeds, actual game film and scouting footage assembled by the team's video coordinators. All coaches do this. Watching all of LA's games for TWC has little to no impact.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of thinking his highly overrated by fans on multiple levels. They can't separate their own fandom from the realities of coaching an NBA team. For one thing "being a Laker" doesn't mean much. It's not a video game where your coaching abilities get +10 level boost because he played for the Lakers. Same thing applies to anyone else, not just Scott and the Lakers. Kevin McHale's pride and love for the organization wouldn't transform the Cs into a playoff contender just because he went back to Boston. Secondly, you'd be hard pressed to find an NBA coach that is just "cashing dem checks" so it's not like he's unique in this aspect. And finally, the analyst part is meaningless. The first thing new coaches do when they get a job is watch game film of the previous season to their analyze players. Not broadcast feeds, actual game film and scouting footage assembled by the team's video coordinators. All coaches do this. Watching all of LA's games for TWC has little to no impact.

You might be right, but as a Lakers fan for over 30 years, I can tell you right now that seeing Byron Scott coaching the Lakers means one hell of a lot more than McHale(not really a good coach anyway) or Adleman or Dunleavy. Seeing Scott coach the team is like seeing one of your children come home after being gone for many years. I also believe that if there is any loyalty and effort in them, that it well will go deeper for someone who bleeds purple and gold. Just saying

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Karl has been in the league has head coach three or more times as long as Scott - yet no championship, almost died with cancer and does not appear to be in good health at all - that's a big factor in my opinion, so scratch him

I would rather have any one than Stan Van Gundy and his screeching voice and neither of the Van Gundy's have done much to prove they can win and Brown had his chance. Hollins is unknown, so I will stick with Scott every day of the way over the jokers you listed

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree: Karl is a good coach, but he was only good because he knew how to capitalize with the altitude in Denver. His winning records in Denver was high because most of the teams(approximately 2/3rd of the time the year I tracked it for the season) were playing on the second night of back to back games and he had trouble winning on the road. Scott was definitely the best choice out there.

llemon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron Scott

He was a terrible coach when with the Nets. He did get better afterwards. Not great, but better.

I figure if Kobe is healthy, Scott is Bryant's buttboy.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott agrees to a 4 year deal, $17 million with the Lakers. Not too bad.

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was the best coach left. Maybe this is the start of something good.
There were other coaches available that had been fired 4 times, instead of 3?