• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kyle Shanahan the worst Super Bowl coach in NFL history?

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
mark levy and bud grant say hold my :suds:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between refusing to run the ball with the lead in multiple SBs and then deciding that in an OT where both teams are guaranteed a possession that his team should take the ball first, it’s like all his football knowledge goes out the window on the biggest stage.

There’s a very specific reason college teams that win the OT coin toss choose defense first. You cannot put your defense in the position of HAVING to make the stop. Kyle grew up with an NFL coach father. He should know better.

Getting the ball first was the right call for two reasons: (1) give his defense a break after the Chiefs' drive to end regulation; and (2) if the game were tied after each team had an OT possession, the Niners would have the ball.

BeaReylo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took Reid twenty years before he won his first Superbowl and couldn't do it until he got Mahomes. Shanahan made another run with his first full year with Purdy. With more experience under his belt and keeping the same core around him, he might give Kyle the edge he needs to reach the promise land? And as someone else noted Kyle was coaching against Brady and Mahomes in his three Superbowl appearances.

Last edited:

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys do realize that the Niner RBs ran the ball 25 times. Right? (22 by Cmac)

Not like he was ignoring the run.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...The mistake in OT was a huge one though. As a coach you need to know the rules. And the correct call now with the new rules in playoff football is to always kick the football in OT.
No it isn't. If the scores are tied after each team has 1 OT possession it reverts back to sudden death, and the team that had the 1st possession gets the 1st sudden death possession. Having the ball 2nd means you know whether you have to go for it on 4th down or if you can punt. It's debatable whether that advantage is as valuable as winning with a FG on the 3rd possession.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the afc has to do is keep Mahomes out of the playoffs and he wins easy pesy....

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes? I thought this was obvious?

Picklerick 2.0

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G is miles better than Delhomme ever was though.

It’s possible I may have overestimated Jimmy G’s abilities a tad bit. It’s possible that Jimmy G is a system QB.

But it’s a certainty that Jake Delhomme was below average.
I fucking never agree with megalodon, but he is dead on hear

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, but he cost his team. Should of ran the ball more in the second half and he should made sure his team and his staff know the overtime rules.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apologies to @megalodon30, @ducky, and others. Crunching the numbers says if both teams score TDs then with a 50% 2PT conversion rate, a 95% XP conversion rate, and a win probability of 66% for the team with the 3rd possession then the team scoring the 1st TD loses 56% of the time if they go for 2 and loses 52.25% of the time if they kick the XP. The 1st possession is a statistical disadvantage even with the benefit of 3rd possession sudden death. Wow! The math is counter-intuitive. :redface:

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Statistics and analytics aside, I honestly don't blame him that much for taking the ball first. I know everyone is going to jump on that because it's not what's considered the right move but his defense was running on fumes going into OT and I think he was just hoping to be able to score a TD first. He knew Mahomes was likely scoring a TD anyway and I think he may have just not wanted to put extra pressure on his guys. I kinda think we are reading too much into that decision. The 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter one can question a little but overall, it wasn't as bad a coaching job as most of you are making it out to be. There's been lots of worse ones in the past.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched the game again last nite. Moody's missed PAC and a special teams player (#28) let a punt bounce off his back foot, leading to a KC fumble recovery on SF's 16-yard line - those two events created an 8-point swing. Shanahan had nothing to do with those two errors. If those two errors don't happen, SF wins 22-17. I don't see how anyone can think that Shanhan's coaching is why SF lost. Sure, it's his responsibility to take the blame, because that is the way it is in the NFL. But the 8-point swing wasn't his fault.

Also, it wasn't Shanahan's fault that Greenlaw blew up his ankle. He held Kelce to one catch, for one yard in the first half of the game. After Greenlaw went down, Kelce erupted for 8 catches for 92 yards. Not a coincidence and not Shanahan's fault.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still not sure where this idea comes in that the Niners were massively successful running the ball after the initial drive which ended in a fumble. Niners needed a trick play and a 4th down conversion pass play on their 2 TD drives.

Chiefs stacked the box and even blitzed Purdy which is the thing you aren't supposed to do. They dared the Niners to pass into 1 on 1 coverage all game. Honestly pretty similar to what happened in the 2nd half against the Bills and all game against the Ravens. Chenal and sometimes Bolton can get in there and take on OL and TEs. Chiefs were using a Nose Tackle with Pennel and he made some key stops. Even threw Trent Williams to the ground on one play.

The Niners could have ran more but Im not sure it would've led to any more success.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that some of the players admitting they didn't even know the overtime rules was embarrassing. I'm kinda like Shannon Sharpe this morning. Why would you even publicly admit that...?

For some reason in my drunken stupor I thought they played the whole quarter. I was like, "There's 3 seconds left!" lmao. I think I just didn't want football to be over :sigh:

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason in my drunken stupor I thought they played the whole quarter. I was like, "There's 3 seconds left!" lmao. I think I just didn't want football to be over :sigh:
Lol I feel ya, man. After the hype of winning another one started to fade I was all like "damn. Ain't no more football now". Gonna have to look into that UFL to see if it's anything decent...

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3rd possession would still be an advantage if neither team scores on their 1st possessions or if both teams kick FGs.

Overall there's probably no advantage to kicking or receiving. In an outdoor stadium it's probably better to take the wind or favourable field conditions.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you guys do realize that the Niner RBs ran the ball 25 times. Right? (22 by Cmac)

Not like he was ignoring the run.

31 carries as a team vs 40 pass plays (attempts plus sacks). Decent balance, but likely weighted to the first half (for runs).