• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Who is Coach of the Year?

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Pederson by a landslide.
It’s not close. I do think Campbell would be the other serious candidate if Detroit got into the playoffs like Jacksonville just did. But it’s hard to top the turnaround Pederson oversaw after the disastrous tenure of Urban Meyer.

Sirianni is a distant third because Howie gave him a ridiculously talented squad.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well its not mcnuggets:suds:
No love for Belichick for bringing back 2 bum coaches in Patricia and Judge and putting them as offense play callers? Firing squad for 3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shannahan probably gets my vote. Keeping a SB contender going through injuries is tough and they've had a lot.

Roseman (Eagles) GM of the year.

Pederson could get it but there is no way they win the division if the Titans had last year's team

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any love for Kevin O'Connell?

I know it hasn't been pretty, especially in the losses. But the dude has won 12, probably soon to be 13 games on a team that nobody really saw as a big time contender. Including me. I had the Vikings pegged at 10-7 at best, but realistically thought it was a 7 or 8 win operation.
I'm biased but agreed

I think bad losses really hurt and he would be viewed higher if he went 10-7 with competitive losses.

I'm optimistic about Vikings future.. Defense needs to improve bigly and koc will need to find franchise QB (the biggest thing).

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though I think Pederson is it, I think the argument against him is that he has the easiest comparison by far, after the disastrous tenure of Urban Meyer, so there was nowhere to go but up. And he did inherit a very promising likely franchise QB.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though I think Pederson is it, I think the argument against him is that he has the easiest comparison by far, after the disastrous tenure of Urban Meyer, so there was nowhere to go but up. And he did inherit a very promising likely franchise QB.
Yeah, I think Meyer has cemented himself as one of the worst NFL coaches in history.

Judging coaches is hard. The Jags just beat the Titans but who has the better coach?

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Clayton... I like Shanahan this year. On his 3rd QB the most important position of football and other numerious injuries to deal with and still 12-4 and won NFC West.

Pederson took over for Urban Meyer, that is reason Jaguars had the #1 pick in the draft. Also agree Eagles GM may have more impact on turnaround for the Eagles.

My 2nd choice would be Daboll in a tough NFC East.

1673190307535.png

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pederson or Daboll are the clear options at this point.

Saleh is a Wilson away from consideration. Has a qb wasted a defense that good before?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pederson.

Meyer didn't do shit last season. Pederson came in and turned that team around.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right after I post that I realized I have disrespected the Bears. Nobody has had elite D wasted by bad qb like they have.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy I was talking to at work claimed Dan Campbell was the easy pick for coach of the year. He took a team that was competing for the #1 draft pick and turned them into the NFL pick for most interesting playoff implications game in the league. And I do agree that he also gers a bump from being on Hard Knocks. Plus it's the Lions.

But, Doug Pederson took over an even worse team, and is also playing for the playoffs, difference is they control their own destiny and they're playing for the division. Arguments against him are pretty weak, but it comes down to perception and he's got a young uber talented QB, and he's already a former super bowl winning coach.

Other "new" coaches who have vastly improved their team: Brian Daboll. Forget contending for the playoffs. They're in. Robert Salah. Both NY teams were bad, now both are contenders. Jets are contending with literal dog shit at QB, that credit goes to Saleh.

Then we have to consider the actual good teams. Andy Reid, Zac Taylor, Sean McDermott. All great teams, but all kind of expected to be great.

Finally imo the real top contenders. Mike McCarthy, still in contention of best record in the league, and managed to overcome losing their starting QB for several games, always gets you in the discussion.
Kyle Shannahan. Same as McCarthy, but lost his starting QB for the season for many more games. Then lost his back-up for the season for quite a few games. Currently playing some nobody rookie and hasn't missed a beat.
Nick Siriani. Most would agree that they've been the best team in the league for most of the season, and they really weren't expected to be.
Kevin O'Connell. First year coach that took over a team that was already a contender but always seemed to lose every close game. This year they win every close game

Depending on how the last game goes for everyone I think my personal vote is probably for Shannahan, but you really could justify about 4-5 of these guys and you'd get no argument from me.

Did I miss anyone?

Who you got?
Campbell, yes.
Pederson and Daboll maybe
Robert Saleh??????? Finish season with 5 game losing streak won't get my vote.
Just for shits and giggles, what about Belichick?
Has his team vying for the playoffs with no coaches, no O-line, and no starting corners?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell, yes.
Has his team vying for the playoffs with no coaches, no O-line, and no starting corners?
Belichick keeping Patricia running the O is what disqualifies him this year.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about Co-winners?
Mike McDaniel for 1st half of year
Dan Campbell for the 2nd half?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Campbell, yes.
Carroll Has also done a great job. So many people picked the Seahawks not to win more than five games this year after running with Geno Smith

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carroll Has also done a great job. So many people picked the Seahawks not to win more than five games this year after running with Geno Smith
That’s why this award is tough this year. This award traditionally goes to a guy who had a shitty team last year and has taken the squad to the level of mediocre or slightly above average. This year there are a ton of coaches who overachieved based on preseason expectations.

Like I said earlier in the thread, the real coach of the year will be crowned on February 12th. The goal is a championship for all coaches and only one will take it down.

Sweetswingingsammysosa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No love for Belichick for bringing back 2 bum coaches in Patricia and Judge and putting them as offense play callers? Firing squad for 3

No, the problem is he's been so successful in the past that the bar for him is so high now only and undefeated regular season would give him the trophy now. It's not that he hasn't had a grat season, it's the standard for him is way to high.

Douggy in his first year with the worst team in the NFL last season was good enough to take them to the playoffs and win the division. Yes the division is crap but it's still an impressive season and enough to give him the award. I'm 100% certain on this one.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading away Russell Wilson probably should give him some award. :thumb:

I can get behind Daboll and Campbell winning, too. Lots of great coaching this year, tbh. I feel like in a normal year Andy Reid would be in the mix but not this year.