• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Kyle Shanahan the worst Super Bowl coach in NFL history?

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between refusing to run the ball with the lead in multiple SBs and then deciding that in an OT where both teams are guaranteed a possession that his team should take the ball first, it’s like all his football knowledge goes out the window on the biggest stage.

There’s a very specific reason college teams that win the OT coin toss choose defense first. You cannot put your defense in the position of HAVING to make the stop. Kyle grew up with an NFL coach father. He should know better.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between refusing to run the ball with the lead in multiple SBs and then deciding that in an OT where both teams are guaranteed a possession that his team should take the ball first, it’s like all his football knowledge goes out the window on the biggest stage.

There’s a very specific reason college teams that win the OT coin toss choose defense first. You cannot put your defense in the position of HAVING to make the stop. Kyle grew up with an NFL coach father. He should know better.
Admittedly the play calling was a tad questionable concerning running the ball more, not that I'm complaining...

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't a fan of the play calling.

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made your boy Jimmy Gorgeous look like a competent QB.

Jimmy G is miles better than Delhomme ever was though.

It’s possible I may have overestimated Jimmy G’s abilities a tad bit. It’s possible that Jimmy G is a system QB.

But it’s a certainty that Jake Delhomme was below average.

steve59

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew better than to pick against Mahomes, but the 49'rs were a couple special teams mistakes away. I was yelling at the tv also when Shanahan quit running in the 3rd.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best way to defend Mahomes is to keep him off the field. Run the ball and bleed the clock.

Xeliou66

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanahan definitely is something of a choker on the biggest stage. I think he’s a good coach overall, and I don’t think last night’s loss was on him even though he made a few questionable decisions, but this is yet another massive game where he had a lead and blew it - Super Bowl 51, Super Bowl 54, and the NFC Title against the Rams 2 years ago are all Shanahan chokes. Super Bowl 51 was the worst, no excuse for not running it when the Falcons were in Pats territory near the end. Super Bowl 54 was a bad choke by Shanahan as well, he completely abandoned the run up 10 in the second half and Garoppolo didn’t deliver and the Chiefs came back. Compared to those games, last night wasn’t a choke by Shanahan.

Shanahan has definitely earned his reputation as a choke artist, but I don’t consider last night a choke by the Niners, just a slightly better game for the Chiefs.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF? He lost by only 3 points, in overtime, with a QB who has never had a bigger spotlight on him. And his defense held one of the leagues best offenses to 25 points in 70 minutes. Geezuz H Crimmany, there is nothing wrong with Shanahan.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to say the coach choked when the team was a single special team gaffe away from winning the game.

Either the missed extra point or especially the punt return team getting hit by the football was the difference between his team hoisting the trophy and him not. Hard to blame a coach for either of those two things.

The mistake in OT was a huge one though. As a coach you need to know the rules. And the correct call now with the new rules in playoff football is to always kick the football in OT.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I too would have gone on offense first in OT in this instance. KC's defense was already gassed and you don't want to give them time to recover.

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They weren't both guaranteed a possession on offense. If SF had scored the TD on the opening OT drive, the game would have been over, and there'd have been entire armies of people whining that they want overtime rules changed again.

Hard to say the coach choked when the team was a single special team gaffe away from winning the game.

Either the missed extra point or especially the punt return team getting hit by the football was the difference between his team hoisting the trophy and him not. Hard to blame a coach for either of those two things.

The mistake in OT was a huge one though. As a coach you need to know the rules. And the correct call now with the new rules in playoff football is to always kick the football in OT.

Giving the ball back to Mahomes right away in OT was probably not a great idea, either. People forget that if the first team scores a TD right away, it's over.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
They weren't both guaranteed a possession on offense. If SF had scored the TD on the opening OT drive, the game would have been over, and there'd have been entire armies of people whining that they want overtime rules changed again.
Overtime rules were changed this year to where both teams are guaranteed a possession to begin OT even if there is an opening TD unless the defense scores first.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The fact that some of the players admitting they didn't even know the overtime rules was embarrassing. I'm kinda like Shannon Sharpe this morning. Why would you even publicly admit that...?

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree...so many weird things happened that you can't blame a coach on (I think Moody had been perfect in extra points all season long).

I do think there could be a disconnect with Shanahan and the Super Bowl games. Heck, I think he even struggled in the previous two games against GB and Detroit, and was VERY fortunate to win both games. I wonder if he might have some kind of blind spot when it comes to some playoff game preparations (although he has had great success in the playoffs in his young career, so maybe that is an unfair potential criticism)

Regardless Shanahan has had a great career so far, and I imagine he will get over the top eventually with a SB win. I do understand him being questioned though after his 3rd SB loss.