• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lakers Coach Byron Scott

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree to disagree. Karl is mainly an offensive minded coach. We might as well have kept D'Antoni. Hollins got released from Memphis for a reason, and the Van Gundys were never an option.

Every coach has red flags. But i'd rather have a true Laker coaching our team that doesn't see this gig as merely a paycheck. And let's not forget, Scott was an analyst for TWC last year - he pretty much saw every game last year and knows where to improve.
If you've been fired 3 times...... then you're looking for a paycheck regardless which team offers you the HC job.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,528.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got less than Kerr & Fisher? Wow.

Scott must have given them the hometown discount.

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,528.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byron scott was a strict confident coach in Cleveland, getting stuck in the lebron tornado leaving town. If they hired him instead of D'Antoni, you wouldnt have Randle, but you would have Pau, Dwight, Kobe and Nash.

This should be something for Nick Youngs growth. He will instill discipline in that kid and make him a star.

Experts claim scott should be asking for a long contract so he can continue being paid when Buss lets him go, say that is the holdup of the hire.

no question he deserves more than Fischer, Kerr, Kidd. Doubt he gets more.

Make Young a star? :lol:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a terrible coach when with the Nets. He did get better afterwards. Not great, but better.

I figure if Kobe is healthy, Scott is Bryant's buttboy.

The problem wasn't the coach - it was the team and the general manager that picked out the team. You can't make a good chicken pie with chicken shit - Just saying

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott agrees to a 4 year deal, $17 million with the Lakers. Not too bad.

I've read the 4th year is a team option as well. The deal is less than Kerr and Fisher which is surprising to me. The money and terms just feed into what I think they're doing with the hire, it's a place holder; an appeasement to Kobe and fans alike. If he works out, fine. They actually got a bargain. But the terms make it really easy to get rid of him. The deal benefits LA more. He can be dumped after 3 years no questions asked. And even if they dump him before that, the money isn't that big a deal to pay off, especially for a franchise like the Lakers. Scott should fire his agent. No way he should have agreed to less money than some of the other coaches recently hired and he should have gotten more protections.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a pattern though in the NBA now. More teams are going after former players who have won championships and now into coaching. Fisher - five championships, Byron Scott - I think has 5 as well. I think Jason Kidd has one with the Mavericks. Brian Shaw has three with the Lakers and is now also a head coach.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good hire wanted Scott or Fisher and they got one of them. No complaints here.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This kind of thinking his highly overrated by fans on multiple levels. They can't separate their own fandom from the realities of coaching an NBA team. For one thing "being a Laker" doesn't mean much. It's not a video game where your coaching abilities get +10 level boost because he played for the Lakers. Same thing applies to anyone else, not just Scott and the Lakers. Kevin McHale's pride and love for the organization wouldn't transform the Cs into a playoff contender just because he went back to Boston. Secondly, you'd be hard pressed to find an NBA coach that is just "cashing dem checks" so it's not like he's unique in this aspect. And finally, the analyst part is meaningless. The first thing new coaches do when they get a job is watch game film of the previous season to their analyze players. Not broadcast feeds, actual game film and scouting footage assembled by the team's video coordinators. All coaches do this. Watching all of LA's games for TWC has little to no impact.

I think that you are reading too much into fans being happy that he's a former Laker. The bottom line is, he's a good coach. His teams have improved under him, everywhere he's been. Of course his love for the Lakers isn't going to help them win games, but his passion for the organization does mean something. I think it means that isn't just another job to him. Not a big deal in terms of actual wins and losses, but still meaningful because fans want him. If nothing else, it means that he will have the support that D'Antoni never received. Also, the fact that he wanted the job so badly and has such a passion for the organization, he'll likely want to stick around for a long time, which means stability.

He started 26-56 in New Jersey, then took them to 2 straight finals. He started 18-64 in New Orleans, then won 38, 39, 56 and 49 games and took them to the playoffs in his last 2 full seasons. In Cleveland, taking over what was left after Lebron went to Miami, he improved their record each season. He won 19, 21 and 24 games. Not a lot, but when one considers what Cleveland had on that roster, not bad either.

When Scott was hired by Cleveland, before Lebron ultimately chose the Heat, CP3 told Lebron that Scott is the coach that he's been looking for.

He's also a tough and competitive coach who isn't afraid to stand up to superstar players. I think it means that, like Phil, he won't have a problem telling Kobe to shut the hell up when Kobe needs to be told to shut the hell up.

Heck, given what Kobe said Byron did to him during his rookie year, if Kobe starts popping off, Byron will send him on a donut run.:lol:

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Showtime" in LaLaLand wit BS again?

Congrats to LakerNation, I always thought this guy was the one that could relate to both players and fans down there.

GL2U guyz.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can just hear that one: "Yea Kobe, SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO GET SOME DAMN DONUTS ALREADY!!!"-Byron Scott. Que the eye roll.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can just hear that one: "Yea Kobe, SHUT THE HELL UP AND GO GET SOME DAMN DONUTS ALREADY!!!"-Byron Scott. Que the eye roll.

:pound: Probably be exactly what happens the first time Kobe gives him a "mean mug" or "death stare".

We need a meme of Kobe carrying a box of donuts.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
press conference right now-

Byron's coaching record is below .500. I wonder how good he might actually be for the team ?

Cooper couldnt make it there because he had surgery Dream says coach Michael Cooper has successful surgery for tongue cancer, to return soon | Fox News

Cooper-Lakers-Socks.jpg

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That press conference gave me the chills. In a positive way of course.

Seeing Magic, Cap and Silk altogether supporting their friend and former team mate gave me great hope as a Lakers fan!

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That press conference gave me the chills. In a positive way of course.

Seeing Magic, Cap and Silk altogether supporting their friend and former team mate gave me great hope as a Lakers fan!

dude, all it means is the past is the past.
if Byron does well it wont be because he's shown a history of it.
His lifetime record coaching sucks. He is the second choice behind Doc who wasn't available.
I did predict 2 years ago he would be the Lakers coach but Its a complete mystery right now as to what it all means

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3