• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Durant broke the NBA

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Break it down all you want, it is what it is. He did what he did, and he will looked at how he is looked at. Historically great player but not a historically great competitor. That's more the norm now days though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically great player but not a historically great competitor. That's more the norm now days though.

Yeah, I don't have a problem with what he did, but I do miss the days where the top players all wanted to kick each others ass, not join forces.

Having said that, they also didn't have the options that today's players have. So who knows? If they had, maybe what KD did would be looked at as the "norm"?

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. You had the Warriors and the Spurs. OKC was a bit of a threat, but they weren't getting past The Spurs or Warriors.

There was an appearance of more balance in the West because of the West being a much better conference. But it was still the Warriors and Spurs with everyone else chasing.

There was much more balance in the West when KD was in OKC versus now. It's obvious because KD wasn't on the Warriors. The games/series then were much more of a game/series. How can you not see how much more top heavy the West is now?

The Spurs really aren't a factor now and OKC without Durant? OKC isn't winning 3 games in 7 against the Warriors now.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Break it down all you want, it is what it is. He did what he did, and he will looked at how he is looked at. Historically great player but not a historically great competitor. That's more the norm now days though.
What was the most OKC could've offered Harden?

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the most OKC could've offered Harden?

Now that is water under the bridge. For all we know they did offer him what he wanted but he wouldn't leave the strip club long enough to know it. He wanted out and it wasn't going to work long term, he's not a guy you can count on.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember right he was technically offered like 2.5 a year below the max, but it was known he was out and was just posturing at that point.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that is water under the bridge. For all we know they did offer him what he wanted but he wouldn't leave the strip club long enough to know it. He wanted out and it wasn't going to work long term, he's not a guy you can count on.
I bet you'd still want him there if Durant was locked up long term...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't have a problem with what he did, but I do miss the days where the top players all wanted to kick each others ass, not join forces.

Having said that, they also didn't have the options that today's players have. So who knows? If they had, maybe what KD did would be looked at as the "norm"?

I think part of why OKC fans are so mad is because they had a significantly more talented core than the Warriors did before the Warriors came to be. And they got zero rings out of it. If management had shone commitment to keeping their core together and/or Westbrook had been more willing to defer, OKC would have multiple rings and KD would still be there.

But, they gave Harden away instead of paying him, they traded Ibaka for pieces that didn't fit as well with KD and Russ wanted to be the hero.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I remember right he was technically offered like 2.5 a year below the max, but it was known he was out and was just posturing at that point.
Sounds like he wanted hid own team then...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know OKC pretty much picked Ibaka over him, but I want to know if the could've offered him the max.

They absolutely could have paid both. But they were not willing to pay luxury tax. Back then the tax wasn't nearly as harsh as it is now either.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think part of why OKC fans are so mad is because they had a significantly more talented core than the Warriors did before the Warriors came to be. And they got zero rings out of it. If management had shone commitment to keeping their core together and/or Westbrook had been more willing to defer, OKC would have multiple rings and KD would still be there.

But, they gave Harden away instead of paying him, they traded Ibaka for pieces that didn't fit as well with KD and Russ wanted to be the hero.
Yup, OKC built that team through the draft. Imagine if OKC could get another star with KD, Russ, and Harden...

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet you'd still want him there if Durant was locked up long term...

No, I would not and his playoff stats back that up. He's all about getting together with his buddies, no matter which team they are on, playing a couple hours and then head to the strip club. You can count on him to do exactly that, nothing more.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

More to it than that but there are some truths in there, as well as some overstatements. Luck played a factor, we firmly believe we were headed for a title when Westbrook got hurt in the playoffs, part of it though.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They absolutely could have paid both. But they were not willing to pay luxury tax. Back then the tax wasn't nearly as harsh as it is now either.
Hmmmm I always thought OKC had to pick between the two....

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I would not and his playoff stats back that up. He's all about getting together with his buddies, no matter which team they are on, playing a couple hours and then head to the strip club. You can count on him to do exactly that, nothing more.
Lol makes sense because he was dumb enough to date A Kardashian...p

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were trying to avoid the repeat offender tax, which yes is much worse now than it was then. At the time Ibaka looked like an elite defender that was capable of developing into more of an inside threat and a dominant rebounder. That didn't happen. Also, they knew Harden wanted out and gave him his wish partially because they thought it gave them a more rounded team since they already had so much offense. I'm betting they knew of of the things Harden has shown later on is a big part of the reason to, just not a team guy that can be counted on.

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tristian Thompson is with her now...:gaah:

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were trying to avoid the repeat offender tax, which yes is much worse now than it was then. At the time Ibaka looked like an elite defender that was capable of developing into more of an inside threat and a dominant rebounder. That didn't happen. Also, they knew Harden wanted out and gave him his wish partially because they thought it gave them a more rounded team since they already had so much offense. I'm betting they knew of of the things Harden has shown later on is a big part of the reason to, just not a team guy that can be counted on.
Didn't OKC draft A guard that year, too?