• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2019-20 Cleveland Cavaliers: Exhibit A for HS Players Not to Enter the NBA Draft

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is a lot of words to say "I disagree and simply glossed over the main premise of the post". The point is, and in large part because of LeBron's impact, is that we as fans give ourselves too much false hope that these teens to come in and turn a franchise around the way he did however long ago it was.

While Zion may be the one exception to that, even he has yet to prove he can shake the injury bug from this his rookie campaign as well as his one season at Duke.

How would you enforce this, though? Because if the said player falls into the second round, he instantly becomes of limited priority to the team that drafted him, and his career would be essentially wasted and unjustifiably so...
I did disagree with you (in very few words) but did not miss the main point. You say drafting out of high school puts too much hope on kids to save franchises. But it is no different than drafting after one, two of even all four years of college. Sure, you have more time to evaluate their work, but franchises still expect their high draft pick to turn their franchise around. How often does the #1 pick actually do that for a team? The answer is rarely. The problem isn't drafting from high school, college, or overseas, it is pinning your franchise's hopes on one guy. There are few talents that can do that no matter what age they are drafted. I think players should be able to enter the draft when they are ready, high school or college; The onus is on the team drafting.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you're a projected top 15-20 pick then you should always enter the draft out of HS if/when the NBA bring that back.

Hell, if you can get that guaranteed contract of a first rounder, you should go pro, unless colleges are going to start LEGALLY paying players. Where else are you getting a guaranteed mil? With your focus on basketball exclusively, not courses towards some degree you'll never achieve, since most top prospects leave early? The 20 pick cutoff does give some leeway to keep from sliding into the second round though. 2nd round picks can get to that second contract quicker though, so there are benefits to each.

I would like to see the G-league become a true minor league for the NBA, with each team having an affiliate. Add a round or two to the draft and skip the G-league stand-alone draft.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell, if you can get that guaranteed contract of a first rounder, you should go pro, unless colleges are going to start LEGALLY paying players. Where else are you getting a guaranteed mil? With your focus on basketball exclusively, not courses towards some degree you'll never achieve, since most top prospects leave early? The 20 pick cutoff does give some leeway to keep from sliding into the second round though. 2nd round picks can get to that second contract quicker though, so there are benefits to each.

I would like to see the G-league become a true minor league for the NBA, with each team having an affiliate. Add a round or two to the draft and skip the G-league stand-alone draft.
Not sure how much a difference it will make, but while colleges wont be paying them, the athletes will be able to make money off NIL.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how much a difference it will make, but while colleges wont be paying them, the athletes will be able to make money off NIL.

That's miniscule for most I would think.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But for those it would be minuscule they probably are not good enough to leave college early to go pro.

I would guess it's also miniscule in relation to what they can make as a pro. How much can these kids make from name rights, and what would the timing be to get paid?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would guess it's also miniscule in relation to what they can make as a pro. How much can these kids make from name rights, and what would the timing be to get paid?
Not sure they know yet, but my guess is the top players will be making what they consider lifechanging money. Not pro contract life changing, but still.............