• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Allen and Seahawks agree to deal

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This logic is absurd.

If the money is not (in his valuation) worth his time, not taking the job is the sensible decision.

Not really. Once you concede that money does in fact mean a great deal to Allen then it follows he likely will not turn down the opportunity to make 7 or 8 million dollars in one year rather than make zero dollars. It may be short of what he "wants" by 2 or 3 million but that is far less of a loss than losing out on the 7 or 8 million that is offered and available for the taking. I'm not saying where he'll play but I think in the end he's going to sign with someone and cash some paycheques rather than start living off of what he's saved.

Last edited by a moderator:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Once you concede that money does in fact mean a great deal to Allen then it follows he likely will not turn down the opportunity to make 7 or 8 million dollars in one year rather than make zero dollars. It may be short of what he "wants" by 2 or 3 million but that is far less of a loss than losing out on the 7 or 8 million that is offered and available for the taking. I'm not saying where he'll play but I think in the end he's going to sign with someone and cash some paycheques rather than start living off of what he's saved.

Money means something, however the ability to protect his body also weighs just as heavily. The contract you are offering results in scales tipped heavily toward not playing, as the value to him is negative.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money means something, however the ability to protect his body also weighs just as heavily. The contract you are offering results in scales tipped heavily toward not playing, as the value to him is negative.

Allen has already said that he'll play for the right amount of money so he's already conceding he's willing to punish his body some more for the right dollar figure. All I'm saying is that he can look at like a 20-25% reduction in pay or he can look at like a 100% deduction in pay. He will know his ability to earn anywhere near an amount even as low as $7M per year is gone once he quits football so I doubt he turns down every team offering guaranteed money this year. He'll play somewhere I think. He could retire but I'd be very surprised.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The right dollar figure. You're ignoring the wear and tear and acting like taking that away has no impact on the equation, and it's laughable. In monetary terms, removing the wear and injury risk is worth approximately 9 million to him. That plus $0 salary is more than 7.5 million plus $0 worth of body wellness.

It's really simple dude. You can't ignore the value he puts on a healthy and unrisked body.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The right dollar figure. You're ignoring the wear and tear and acting like taking that away has no impact on the equation, and it's laughable. In monetary terms, removing the wear and injury risk is worth approximately 9 million to him. That plus $0 salary is more than 7.5 million plus $0 worth of body wellness.

It's really simple dude. You can't ignore the value he puts on a healthy and unrisked body.

Well I guess we'll see soon enough. If he retires, you're right. If he signs with a team for under $10-$11M then I guess I'm right.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed Werder from ESPN says he talked to John Schneider few hours ago and they have not heard from Jared Allen yet on any decision.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Checking in from Phoenix.
Damn, no deal yet.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
N
It's not just the actual games. It's the whole season and training camp and practices.

A reduced role could easily be worse. All those training camps and practices and a mediocre paycheck to be a situational player? Just as much work, less attention and less money.

No offense sir, but your posts indicate you think you are a "know it all" while I believe you don't know as much as you think you do.
"Situational" means you don't play all downs so=Less work.
Beginning with last year, our team was featured in more media than ever. It seemed like every service was reporting something about the Seahawks. Then we won it all.
JA will get more attention than he ever had at Minny if he signs with us= more attention.
My guess is his market value is about $7-$8M. He will play for a little less than market if he elects to sign with us =less money.
You were correct on 33% on your view IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer this drags out, the less likely he accepts the Seahawks deal.

This really may come down to a disconnect from what the current market is for his services and what role he prefers to play on any team.

His options are more limited than it appears. The majority of the NFL teams have already spent most of the available FA cash they wanted to for 2014. Waiting till summertime to restart this process will not really improve his situation.

He would have to accept even less that what the Seahawks are offering if he signed with the Cowboys. They don't have the cap space.

The Vikings signed DE Everson Griffen for 5 years / 42.5 mil. Allen would have to sign for less than what the Seahawks could offer and would be looking at a rotational role.

I think his only two options right now are the Seahawks offer or retiring. There is reports of some secret 3rd team involved, but if it's someone like the Raiders, then well......you know he's willing to just go collect max money somewhere and lose a bunch of games if he signs up for that.

He's reported to have lived a very conservative lifestyle during his time in the league, and he's sitting on a mountain of money. This is why he could walk away from the game. Many where shaking their heads at this, but considering his savings, he could realistically do it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how it has worked with our situational guys in training camp and practice before, but if Allen comes in as a situational pass rusher, I can only assume that he wouldn't see nearly the amount of reps as the every-down guys would in camp or in practices. Not only that, but our camps and practices haven't exactly been known to resemble boot camp since Carroll's arrival. Combine those things with the new rules limiting the number of mini-camps and OTAs a team can have and it's hard to imagine that Allen would feel over-worked here.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
N

No offense sir, but your posts indicate you think you are a "know it all" while I believe you don't know as much as you think you do.
"Situational" means you don't play all downs so=Less work.
Beginning with last year, our team was featured in more media than ever. It seemed like every service was reporting something about the Seahawks. Then we won it all.
JA will get more attention than he ever had at Minny if he signs with us= more attention.
My guess is his market value is about $7-$8M. He will play for a little less than market if he elects to sign with us =less money.
You were correct on 33% on your view IMO.

Situational is essentially irrelevant. Most of the strain of the body is the season as a whole, not just the games.

His market value may be 8, but that's not the value he personally puts on his body. That's what matters. Market value isn't important.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The longer this drags out, the less likely he accepts the Seahawks deal.
Exactly. Clearly an offer has been made and clearly its not up to his expectations or this would be done. I dont see our offer increasing so its take it or leave it for him.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It isn't just the money in this case I'm sure. He played over 1,000 snaps last year and in Seattle's rotating schemes he likely wouldn't see more than 600.

On the one hand the reported 7.5m/yr for 600 snaps is better than 10m/yr for 1000. However he may not only be motivated by the actual dollar amount, but also the missed career stats and diminished role/overall importance.

He said he would take the weekend and now that has passed. I'd say the chances he joins the team has to be less than 50/50 now and as time passes that chance continues to lower.

As much as we would love to add his productivity, if he isn't all in I don't want him.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Clearly an offer has been made and clearly its not up to his expectations or this would be done. I dont see our offer increasing so its take it or leave it for him.

Or perhaps he is playing chicken with the Seahawks, hoping that they increase the offer in the belief that he will retire if they don't.

I find it extremely unlikely that Jared Allen retires. His body still has 3-4 years left in him which could be another 30-40 sacks. If he continues playing, he could finish in the top 3 for career sacks.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So apparently that tweet I was referring to this morning was a fake tweet that kept on being retweeted.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an interview earlier today with NFL.com, Seahawks GM John Schneider said the team could still add Jared Allen and Jermichael Finley to the roster. Allen, above, apparently extended his weekend deadline to make a call on the Seahawks’ two-year, $12 million offer.

Wow, that's all the Seahawks offered him???

Now I think I know why he has not signed yet.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that's all the Seahawks offered him???

Now I think I know why he has not signed yet.

What did you think they offered? They still need 6 million for the draft. I figured 6 or 7 million a year.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well it appears I was right JDM. He took a couple million per year less than he wanted to play for the Bears. They offered a bit more than Seattle and he took it. I knew he was never going to retire because he made it clear he wanted money. His body be damned, he went to the highest bidder.

To bad too. He would have looked good in Seattle blue. I dislike the Bears immensely but I still wish Allen luck. I've always liked that guy.