• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Allen and Seahawks agree to deal

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What did you think they offered? They still need 6 million for the draft. I figured 6 or 7 million a year.

Not sure. I would have figured something that was like 3 years $30m, but structured like this:

Year 1: $7m
Year 2: $10m
Year 3: $13m

With around $10m guaranteed.

Suppose it would make sense to edit the title of this thread. Good addition for the Bears, always liked Allen and wish him the best.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure. I would have figured something that was like 3 years $30m, but structured like this:

Year 1: $7m
Year 2: $10m
Year 3: $13m

With around $10m guaranteed.

Suppose it would make sense to edit the title of this thread. Good addition for the Bears, always liked Allen and wish him the best.

It's a 4 year deal worth $32M. $15.5M guaranteed and an out for the Bears after 3 years. So if only $15.5M is guaranteed for 3 years does that mean he's only going to average about $5.16M per year?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a 4 year deal worth $32M. $15.5M guaranteed and an out for the Bears after 3 years. So if only $15.5M is guaranteed for 3 years does that mean he's only going to average about $5.16M per year?

Huh? People are getting too mixed up in guaranteed. Guaranteed is only a factor if you release him and it depends on when the guaranteed is paid out. If they keep him around all 4 years, the $32M all hits the against their cap #.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As Shark said the $15.5M guaranteed is what they pay him no matter what. So if he is on the roster all 4 years he will make the $32M. But if the Bears were to cut him the moment after he signed the contract, they would still owe him $15.5M.

Hope that helps clarify it a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it would of been nice have Allen on the team,it would of been one less thing to worry about. However I like that the Seahawks are staying with the budget, that bodes good for resigning the guys that matter.
Looks like the draft and the young guys already on the team are how the Seahawks fill in the holes. Wish the draft was sooner then later. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Seahawks surprise me this year.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Harold. He would have been a great fit but the Bears stepped up cuz they had to.
JDM all wrong about his body damage concerns, hence the multi year deal. It was about the Benjamin's and our FO remains judicious in their vision.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it was about the money,but I don't blame players for that. It's a small window to make the big bucks.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does a multi-year make me wrong on the point I made? I was a touch high on his valuation of himself, but not significantly so.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does a multi-year make me wrong on the point I made? I was a touch high on his valuation of himself, but not significantly so.

He was going to the highest bidder, nothing wrong with that, but it had nothing to do with worrying about the wear and tear on his body. It was about making the biggest paycheck.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not if the highest bidder wasn't good enough. We may not know exactly what the reserve was, but I absolutely believe his claim that it existed.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seeing how he made a second visit to the Seahawks, I think he would have signed, unfortunately the Bears stepped in with a better offer.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I love the most about the Jared Allen situation was, our guys know exactly what is going on. They know what every team's cap situation is, what every team's needs are and what their tendencies are as far as FA and draft. They know this stuff so well that they can play chicken with one of the top DE FA and almost win it. There is no way, with our cap situation and future player extensions, we should have even been sniffing at Jared Allen, but because of the SB championship and a clear change in viewpoint regarding playing in Seattle, we were major players. They know it so well they got him to make a 2nd visit and bring his wife. They know it so well they offered him the exact amount of money that would make him think for over a week about what to do.

I love this team, and this front office. They are ahead of the curve on almost everything, Charlie Whitehurst and a few other decisions not withstanding. Everyone wants to say that GB from a couple years ago is the example of a young team that seemed to have a dynasty brewing after a SB victory and then it just fell apart, but what they are all missing from that analysis is John Schneider. He built that GB team and then left to become the GM of the Seahawks. Granted some injuries occurred that hampered the Packers, but that youth movement and all the talent they accumulated has diminished in the last 3 years. This will not happen in Seattle. Between Pete's Win Forever/Always Compete philosophy and Schneider's keen eye for talent, we are setup to be the next NE Patriots. We may not win back-to-back SB, but we will be in the hunt every year for a decade or more.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I love the most about the Jared Allen situation was, our guys know exactly what is going on. They know what every team's cap situation is, what every team's needs are and what their tendencies are as far as FA and draft. They know this stuff so well that they can play chicken with one of the top DE FA and almost win it. There is no way, with our cap situation and future player extensions, we should have even been sniffing at Jared Allen, but because of the SB championship and a clear change in viewpoint regarding playing in Seattle, we were major players. They know it so well they got him to make a 2nd visit and bring his wife. They know it so well they offered him the exact amount of money that would make him think for over a week about what to do.

I love this team, and this front office. They are ahead of the curve on almost everything, Charlie Whitehurst and a few other decisions not withstanding. Everyone wants to say that GB from a couple years ago is the example of a young team that seemed to have a dynasty brewing after a SB victory and then it just fell apart, but what they are all missing from that analysis is John Schneider. He built that GB team and then left to become the GM of the Seahawks. Granted some injuries occurred that hampered the Packers, but that youth movement and all the talent they accumulated has diminished in the last 3 years. This will not happen in Seattle. Between Pete's Win Forever/Always Compete philosophy and Schneider's keen eye for talent, we are setup to be the next NE Patriots. We may not win back-to-back SB, but we will be in the hunt every year for a decade or more.

I like the cut of your jib.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, even though I fully admit that Seattle made the right decision not matching the Bears' offer for Allen, I'm totally bumping this thread every time Allen has a good game. Especially if he has one against Seattle.

:heh:

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way, even though I fully admit that Seattle made the right decision not matching the Bears' offer for Allen, I'm totally bumping this thread every time Allen has a good game. Especially if he has one against Seattle.

Thats cool. Good to know you were shitting your pants about it. Just think, your team might actually have a chance next season now, so that ought to feel good, right? :yahoo:

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Allen was going to be a luxury sign. I don't see it impacting another SB run considering our depth. Would of loved to have him, but again, it was luxury level stuff.

Glad we didn't break the bank to sign a guy who will be 32 this year. I think Chicago overpaid for him just like Detroit did for Tate. I understand their needs, but think they overpaid for some instant gratification.