• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Jared Allen and Seahawks agree to deal

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jared allen isnt going to get a huge contract anywhere his only options are to either take less money and play for a ring or take a little more money (still less than what he wants) and play for team trying to make the playoffs

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or take a hell of a lot less impact on his body and say screw you to everyone who won't pay him what he feels his time is worth.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign for what you can get or retire, either is fine.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jesus. Probably gonna be everybody's super bowl pick yet again

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or take a hell of a lot less impact on his body and say screw you to everyone who won't pay him what he feels his time is worth.

You could be right JDM, Allen could be a guy that winning a championship just isn't important anymore and financial gain is all that matters. Some retired greats would kill to be in this position for a shot at a chance to win one.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sign for what you can get or retire, either is fine.

Exactly. I just don't get people acting like deciding that 5mil isn't worth the extra pain he will submit himself to. I know most on these boards would do a hell of a lot for just 1 million, but he's already made a good bit. A few mil for an extra year probably doesn't make as big of a positive quality of life impact as the extra year of beatings has the potential to do negatively. Now 9, 10 mil? Huge difference.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right JDM, Allen could be a guy that winning a championship just isn't important anymore and financial gain is all that matters. Some retired greats would kill to be in this position for a shot at a chance to win one.

And some would wish they called a day a year or two earlier and could walk normally.

Besides, he's not coming to New England so he's not getting a ring :thumb:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I just don't get people acting like deciding that 5mil isn't worth the extra pain he will submit himself to. I know most on these boards would do a hell of a lot for just 1 million, but he's already made a good bit. A few mil for an extra year probably doesn't make as big of a positive quality of life impact as the extra year of beatings has the potential to do negatively. Now 9, 10 mil? Huge difference.

I was looking at as a Seahawks fan. We can make do without him. If he retires, good for him.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well it kinda brings me back to when carson palmer said he would retire if the bengals didnt trade or let him go. he said that he has 90million in his bank from his career playing football and he was content with retiring and enjoying his life. IDK how much jared allen made but if he has 50-60 million unspent money in his bank than who cares about another 4-5 million? remember there is a chance that he can blow out his ACL or get a concussion or some major injury that can be fixed in a year after surgery but when hes 60 years old he is going to be walking with a cane.

its just some thought of what it would be like to be in jared allens shoes

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many Hawk fans were monitoring their twitter feeds today to see a Jared Allen announcement since was said he would make it known this weekend, but looks like this could still take more days to come.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know many Hawk fans were monitoring their twitter feeds today to see a Jared Allen announcement since was said he would make it known this weekend, but looks like this could still take more days to come.

Not gunna lie... I'm one of them :whistle:

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again he will be a situational pass rusher in our system… He's not gonna have the work-load here… Something to at least consider…

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the longer he takes to come to a decision, the more likely it is that he'll pick retirement. I have no doubt that he's sought a lot of advice from retired players, both the ones who retired with gas left in the tank and the ones who held on until there wasn't, and asked them about their motivations for making the decision when they did (if they were healthy enough to make the choice instead of having it made for them). Deciding whether to keep playing or to retire isn't an easy one (just ask Brett Favre, he of the biggest will he/won't he retirement saga in recent memory).

On the one hand, he must be relatively healthy if he's received a handful of offers to keep playing and if he's still healthy, he can still contribute to a team. On the other hand, he should have all the money he'll ever need as long as he was smart and didn't blow a bunch of it like so many other players have, so that may not be high on his list of criteria to keep playing.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again he will be a situational pass rusher in our system… He's not gonna have the work-load here… Something to at least consider…

It's not just the actual games. It's the whole season and training camp and practices.

A reduced role could easily be worse. All those training camps and practices and a mediocre paycheck to be a situational player? Just as much work, less attention and less money.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know how true it is but I read a tweet saying Allen should sign this afternoon for 2 years/15 million. :noidea:

Got it through my ESPN Sportscenter app.

FirebreathingMonkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only one who watching this to update and than gets my hopes up when it dose hoping we have an answer? :bawling:

No, just me. :laugh3:

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen has made it abundantly clear that its about the money. He is saying he will play for the right money which tells me he doesn't really want to retire he just wants to get the most money he can at the moment.

If he's expecting say $10M per year but the best offer he gets is for say $7.5M per year then that represents a 25% discount on his expectations. If he chooses retirement he will receive a 100% discount on his expectations. I think Allen and his financial advisor and especially his agent would rather get 75% of something rather than 100% of nothing. Like I said before, Allen has made it clear he's willing to play, now its just about money.

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But if it's just about the money then it is more likely he ends up with the Raiders as Condotta is reporting they are one of the mystery teams in the mix with an offer for him and it's very unlikely that offer is the same or less than Seattle's.

I mean he could be so pissed off that he 'retires' or at least says he is to see if any bigger offers come in. I still think it is more likely he ends up going somewhere, but the question is does he really just go for the cash and the extra playing time he would get for the Raiders? Or does he take a cut in pay, a cut in playing time, but a chance at a ring for going to Seattle?

No matter what he decides this has been a rather unusual last week or so in his free agency and I'm sure many want to hear what he has to say after he goes public with his decision.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Allen has made it abundantly clear that its about the money. He is saying he will play for the right money which tells me he doesn't really want to retire he just wants to get the most money he can at the moment.

If he's expecting say $10M per year but the best offer he gets is for say $7.5M per year then that represents a 25% discount on his expectations. If he chooses retirement he will receive a 100% discount on his expectations. I think Allen and his financial advisor and especially his agent would rather get 75% of something rather than 100% of nothing. Like I said before, Allen has made it clear he's willing to play, now its just about money.

This logic is absurd.

If the money is not (in his valuation) worth his time, not taking the job is the sensible decision.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:10:… Absolutely correct… 75 percent of something is better than 100 percent of nothing… But others seem to argue 100 percent of nothing is better… Go figure..