• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hit On Flacco last night

Dirty or Not

• Dirty

Votes: 32 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • Potato Salad

Votes: 3 5.8%

• Total voters

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dirty. When a QB starts to slide the play is over and you pull up.. period. He doubled down and blasted him. He can expect a healthy fine.
He'll probably get a good fine but Flaaco did push his luck a bit and once the defender was committed to leveling him, trying to stop 300 pounds is near impossible.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Alonso has to do is lay off the hit. If he makes any effort to spin or evade Flacco who is ON THE GROUND then he should get the benefit of the doubt. Instead he went full force in a downward motion. It is possible that Alonso just has poor reaction time, but I saw him as an Eagle and that would surprise me. He could have done anything to lessen the impact on Flacco, but he went full force into him.

Flacco delayed the slide too long. The penalty is not for hitting Flacco but contact to the head. Poor Flacco!!!!!

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flacco delayed the slide too long. The penalty is not for hitting Flacco but contact to the head. Poor Flacco!!!!!
He did what most any QB does. Kiko was very late and more importantly, very forceful in a downward motion. These guys are professionals and need to react better. The game is protecting QB's and rightfully so. Defenders can't aim downwards at a QB. There is at no point a necessary or good play at a QB in a downward motion.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except he did adjust. If he was planning on tackling a running/standing Flacco then he would have been aiming more parallel with the ground. If he was adjusting to a Flacco on the ground then he does exactly what he did and points himself downwards with full force.
I admit with today's rules protecting the hell outta the offensive players I give the defenders the benefit of the doubt most of the time when they go low. I still don't buy that Kiko "adjusted". IMO he made the decision to go lower before Joe slid.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did what most any QB does. Kiko was very late and more importantly, very forceful in a downward motion. These guys are professionals and need to react better. The game is protecting QB's and rightfully so. Defenders can't aim downwards at a QB. There is at no point a necessary or good play at a QB in a downward motion.

Kiko was late because of Flacco's slide. He had to wait until he saw when Flacco really slid. It was Flacco's fault.
All your pontification does not change the fact that it was an entirely legal hit until the head contact!

elguapo

I cannot think of anything clever to put here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,056.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a bad argument. He slid plenty before Alonso hit him. That doesn't change just because it is right around the first down line. Alonso had to deliberately lower himself and still drive a hit into Flacco. It doesn't matter if it is right near the first down marker or 10 yards either side of it.

He slid plenty... you may need glasses, his butt does has not even touch when Kiko cracks him. So stop with the hater goggles.

Also, best movie line ever, "That's why girls don't play the game!"

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll probably get a good fine but Flaaco did push his luck a bit and once the defender was committed to leveling him, trying to stop 300 pounds is near impossible.

Maybe he did. But I'm not buying that he couldn't have pulled off or at least softened or made it a glancing blow when he realized Flacco was sliding. I think people defending him are really underestimating the abilities and reaction times of these guys. He nailed him less than 2' off the ground. Was he going for his knees initially ? That would make no sense as it would have insured Flacco falling forward and getting the first down .. and who intentionally goes low on a QB when they have a free shot ? I think he decided he was going to blast Flacco and carried out his intent even though he saw him sliding.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most importantly, what the fuck kind of name is Kiko for a football player? Sounds like a stripper.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and who intentionally goes low on a QB when they have a free shot ?

If they go high, it's a PF for a blow to the head.

I'm not sure what a defender is supposed to do anymore when it comes to a running QB. Maybe we should do like they've done with the intentional walk in baseball: just signal to the ref that you would like to run, and give the QB an automatic five yards.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All Alonso has to do is lay off the hit. If he makes any effort to spin or evade Flacco who is ON THE GROUND then he should get the benefit of the doubt. Instead he went full force in a downward motion. It is possible that Alonso just has poor reaction time, but I saw him as an Eagle and that would surprise me. He could have done anything to lessen the impact on Flacco, but he went full force into him.
And targeted the head, clearly targeted the head

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Flacco got annihilated because QBs are gaming the system

"The whole thing could have been avoided if Flacco hadn’t been trying to squeeze out every last yard and instead slid earlier. If you’re going to expect a defender to avoid hitting a sliding quarterback, shouldn’t the quarterback be expected to slide early enough to avoid an oncoming defender?"

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they go high, it's a PF for a blow to the head.

He's just a runner at that point. None of the other QB protection rules apply... and anyone can slide. But once they start to slide, that's it.. the defender has to make an attempt to pull up and it doesn't matter whether it's a QB or not.

Though it's rare to see any other ball carriers slide or give themselves up, you can't hit them after they do. If a defender is already physically committed he can still make contact, but there has to be some sort of attempt to lay off. That didn't happen last night. The defender went all in on the hit.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Obviously, you get nicks and bruises, and you've just got to deal with a little bit of pain."

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that it is ... or at least the ball is placed wherever it was when he faked or began his slide.
I've seen Russel Wilson do it more than once. Never seen a flag thrown or the ball placed where he did the fake.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it amazing that 30 years ago, a QB would shake that off for a couple of plays on the sidelines, and return to the the field

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's just a runner at that point. None of the other QB protection rules apply...

I don't agree. Hit 31 QB's in the head while they're standing upright, and it's a penalty. Shoot, if you even get NEAR the head...Remember this one?

drewbreesnecksuperslomo.gif