• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you do with Purdy if you are the 49ers?

What would you do with Purdy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like they have a few options:

1) Ride it out the next two years. He's going to be rock bottom cheap during that time, and you can continue to build around him. If he doesn't continue to succeed the next season or two, you can look for the next guy. If he does succeed, just bite the bullet in 2026.

2) Ride it out for one more year. If he looks good next year, try and see if you can get him to extend for slightly cheaper than if you waited two more seasons.

3) Go ahead and try to sign him now, but only offer it to him if he takes a deep discount. Sometimes these cheaper QB's will take the security of an early extension, so they don't have to worry about a significant injury before their big payday. The extension would start after his cheaper contract ends in 2025.

4) If they see that he isn't going to be able to take them to another level without significant help, do you just ride him till you find someone else...even if it means throwing a franchise tag on him?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ride it out. He has done incredibly well to start his career. Very few complaints outside of lacking armstrength. Has some Tua "I am throwing to a spot and oh well" type shit going on, but that seems to be a Shanahan/McDaniel thing so it's hard to say how much is him just forcing the issue and how much is anticipation.

Janus

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think he cost them the game, the play calling, 3 three and outs, and why?, throwing the ball with McCaffery in the backfield, was bad, very bad and it may have contributed to a Chiefs defense starting to get confidence.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely ride it out one season. This season should definitively tell you if he's worth dropping big bucks his way...

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of question is this about a QB in his 2nd year, is 17-4 as a starter and has led his team to back-to-back NFC Championship games?

I guess a bad one? :noidea:

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed...this thread is in line with the Shanahan worst SB coach.

Premature

I actually think the Shanahan question is better than this question. I mean, he is 0-3 in SB's. I don't think he is the worst coach by any means. I think he is a fantastic coach, but after 3 SB losses in something like 8 seasons, I can understand why someone might question his big game ability.

The 49ers are going to have to wiggle a bit as I think I read they will be $11 million over the salary cap next year. I wonder if they will have to do some significant cuts. It's tough to get back...ask the Eagles, the Falcons, the Bengals, etc. (although the Chiefs proved you can lose and still get back).

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think the Shanahan question is better than this question. I mean, he is 0-3 in SB's. I don't think he is the worst coach by any means. I think he is a fantastic coach, but after 3 SB losses in something like 8 seasons, I can understand why someone might question his big game ability.

The 49ers are going to have to wiggle a bit as I think I read they will be $11 million over the salary cap next year. I wonder if they will have to do some significant cuts. It's tough to get back...ask the Eagles, the Falcons, the Bengals, etc. (although the Chiefs proved you can lose and still get back).
sorry...I'm not in stupid split the hair shit day after the game.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy is a dream for the Niners, a good QB who is locked up and costs absolutely nothing. So they will continue to roll with him and likely win with him, at least in regular season terms.

But I think you see in the playoffs that it can come down to elite QB play in the clutch and I just don't think Purdy is an elite QB. He is a good QB who can win games with a good supporting cast.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sorry...I'm not in stupid split the hair shit day after the game.

I would love to know Shanahan and Lynch's thoughts on Purdy. They've gone to two SB's in the past few years with two different QB's, so is it the system or the QB? Shanahan has gone to 3 SB's with 3 different QB's.

I wonder when he becomes eligible for a big payday if they see that kind of value in him? In other words, is he worth a lot more as a cheap starter that they can afford to surround him with a lot of talent, and may not be worth it if they have to pay him top 10 QB money?

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to keep paying him nothing and add real talent in the secondary. Trent is also 35, getting old and the whole thing falls apart without him.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy is still not that great of a QB IMO. He can't make sideline throws, a lot of his yards came from YAC (San Fran led the league by a decent amount), he has the best RB in the NFL.... an elite defense. Not to mention he plays in a cupcake division at the moment with Arizona being one of the worst teams in the league, Carroll who had a coaching philosophy that 2 down lineman, 5-6 CBs/Safeties on the field, and an offense that resembled Tecmo Bowl's playbook was somehow the correct thing to do, and the Rams who are cap strapped.

Biggest mistake the 9ers could do right now is sign Purdy to a huge contract. Hell I'd trade him for a couple first rounders. The 9ers are still stacked at the moment. You can bring in quite a few QBs and succeed with it. Lance would've been fine, he just couldn't stay healthy.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy is still not that great of a QB IMO. He can't make sideline throws, a lot of his yards came from YAC (San Fran led the league by a decent amount), he has the best RB in the NFL.... an elite defense. Not to mention he plays in a cupcake division at the moment with Arizona being one of the worst teams in the league, Carroll who had a coaching philosophy that 2 down lineman, 5-6 CBs/Safeties on the field, and an offense that resembled Tecmo Bowl's playbook, and the Rams who are cash strapped.

Biggest mistake the 9ers could do right now is sign Purdy to a huge contract. Hell I'd trade him for a couple first rounders. The 9ers are still stacked at the moment. You can bring in quite a few QBs and succeed with it. Lance would've been fine, he just couldn't stay healthy.
That is an interesting statement. Is it the QB or is it the system that Shanahan runs?

SB windows close quickly, and the 49ers have easily the best RB in the NFL. I wonder when they will start having to dismantle this team due to salary cap implications and/or the age of their players?

What would most 49ers fans want them to do next season? I like Purdy, but I've only watched a handful of their games this season.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Niners should release Purdy and go with Brandon Allen as the starter.

Signed, Rams fans.

They need to trade him to the Rams for Stafford! :D