• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What do you do with Purdy if you are the 49ers?

What would you do with Purdy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, no diss to Purdy, he deserves a lot of praise for a fantastic season, but before they drop a big contract on his lap, they have to figure out if it is the QB or if it is the system that makes QB's so successful in SF. This is why I question whether the system is the secret sauce with Shanahan:

View attachment 354387

One was a 7th round pick rookie starting that stretch, and the other was a vet with several years already under his belt (and the lesser performer).

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Purdy to JimmyG is just dumb and lazy. JimmyG has no pocket presence, folds like a cheap suit when asked to do anything special, makes stupid decisions with the ball because he's a deer in the headlights and has virtually no athletic ability to avoid sacks.
If people want to point out Purdy's physical limitations like an average arm, sobeit but Shanahan doesn't have to protect him like he did JimmyG and Purdy did not wilt in the spotlight at all. Yes, the system is designed to help the QB but the west coast offense has always done that. It's why it has been so successful for so long. Not saying Purdy is great here but there are probably 20-25 teams in the league that would gladly have him as their QB.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparing Purdy to JimmyG is just dumb and lazy. JimmyG has no pocket presence, folds like a cheap suit when asked to do anything special, makes stupid decisions with the ball because he's a deer in the headlights and has virtually no athletic ability to avoid sacks.
If people want to point out Purdy's physical limitations like an average arm, sobeit but Shanahan doesn't have to protect him like he did JimmyG and Purdy did not wilt in the spotlight at all. Yes, the system is designed to help the QB but the west coast offense has always done that. It's why it has been so successful for so long. Not saying Purdy is great here but there are probably 20-25 teams in the league that would gladly have him as their QB.

Exactly. I always supported Jimmy and I still love the guy. He's classy and he gave it his all. However, the difference between Jimmy and Purdy is night and day. Purdy sees the field so much better and processes things so much faster than Jimmy.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, no diss to Purdy, he deserves a lot of praise for a fantastic season, but before they drop a big contract on his lap, they have to figure out if it is the QB or if it is the system that makes QB's so successful in SF. This is why I question whether the system is the secret sauce with Shanahan:

View attachment 354387

Those stats kinda look similar, but there is a big difference in interceptions and passer rating. Plus, eight more touchdowns is somewhat significant as well.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can he be traded prior to the March 1st deadline for his 5th year option, or will the Bears need to pick it up prior to trading him? If a team believes in him enough, that $22M 5th year option is still relatively cheap compared to what Cousins or Wilson will cost (and probably Baker).
The 5th year option will be available to whichever team he is with until the option expires in May. What he's worth is anyone's guess. The Bears will obviously want a high pick for him. If a team is willing to give up a high pick it doesn't make sense for that team to decline the option. It would also make sense for Fields to say he wants a new contract after the option decision date. Why would Fields play out $4M and $22M seasons if he thinks he's a $47M player? On the other hand plenty of people don't think Fields is a top 16 starter and they'd also rather have 1 of the rookies from the 2023 or 2024 Draft class. Maybe Fields is seen as a $6M fringe starter or back-up after 2024. I thought Mayfield and Darnold were better risks after their 3rd season, (and I wouldn't have picked up Darnold's option). However Fields does have a higher ceiling. He could end up being a very risky and expensive gamble...or he could be a bargain. Not a gamble i'd take.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 5th year option will be available to whichever team he is with until the option expires in May. What he's worth is anyone's guess. The Bears will obviously want a high pick for him. If a team is willing to give up a high pick it doesn't make sense for that team to decline the option. It would also make sense for Fields to say he wants a new contract after the option decision date. Why would Fields play out $4M and $22M seasons if he thinks he's a $47M player? On the other hand plenty of people don't think Fields is a top 16 starter and they'd also rather have 1 of the rookies from the 2023 or 2024 Draft class. Maybe Fields is seen as a $6M fringe starter or back-up after 2024. I thought Mayfield and Darnold were better risks after their 3rd season, (and I wouldn't have picked up Darnold's option). However Fields does have a higher ceiling. He could end up being a very risky and expensive gamble...or he could be a bargain. Not a gamble i'd take.

Yeah, Fields is so polarizing when it comes to debating whether he is the guy or not. I think a lot of teams will want to take the risk in hopes of finding the next great QB.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think he's easily ahead of Darnold and Mayfield as a prospect. That running ability is a difference maker. If the Bears didn't have a top 5 pick, we wouldn't be talking about him moving. However, that opportunity to reset the rookie contract clock on your QB (and get an even better prospect in the exchange) is too good to pass up.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Fields will get more than a 3rd round pick or a 2025 2nd along with some later rounds... everyone knows the Bears want to trade him and the Bears have little leverage given they have the #1 overall pick. As for Fields getting money, he still needs to prove he's worth it and his agent will tell him the same thing. In addition, there's 5-6 QBs that could go in the 1st... it's just not a good draft for the Bears to be trading a QB given it's a fairly deep QB draft class. And Kirk is still a free agent if some team wants to go that route.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's easily ahead of Darnold and Mayfield as a prospect. That running ability is a difference maker. If the Bears didn't have a top 5 pick, we wouldn't be talking about him moving. However, that opportunity to reset the rookie contract clock on your QB (and get an even better prospect in the exchange) is too good to pass up.

I don't even think of Darnold and Mayfield as prospects anymore. They are veteran journeymen at this point. Mayfield did have a nice season that he can build from, though.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even think of Darnold and Mayfield as prospects anymore. They are veteran journeymen at this point. Mayfield did have a nice season that he can build from, though.

I'm thinking in comparison to them in their 4th years, not today. There is some argument for Baker (and he's re-established solid value if limited upside), but Darnold has fizzled.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those stats kinda look similar, but there is a big difference in interceptions and passer rating. Plus, eight more touchdowns is somewhat significant as well.
That’s fine, but the results are pretty much the same, no? 8 more TD’s didn’t win him another game.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One was a 7th round pick rookie starting that stretch, and the other was a vet with several years already under his belt (and the lesser performer).

I understand there is a difference between them, but in the same amount of games, the results were the same in wins and losses. The stats were pretty similar too.

So again I ask, is it the QB or the Shanahan system that is the biggest contributor for success in SF?

The same question was asked in NE with Brady, and I think it was shown it was the QB.

fknhippie

I'll shit in your shoes.
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy isn't the answer, Niners should trade him to the Vikes for a 6th rounder

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s fine, but the results are pretty much the same, no? 8 more TD’s didn’t win him another game.

The stats show that he is clearly the better QB, so it doesn't support your point that Purdy and Jimmy G are essentially the same. The win-loss stat is assigned to QB's, but it is ultimately truly a team stat. The Niners will likely not continue to win 78% of their games moving forward with Purdy at the helm, but it doesn't mean that he is a worse QB moving forward than he was in his first 27 games.

Also, if a QB has a lower winning percentage than Purdy, it doesn't necessarily mean that a QB is worse than Purdy. Everyone universally agrees that Josh Allen is better, but his winning percentage is lower even if you exclude Allen's rookie season. You are not thinking about the stats you cited logically.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy isn't the answer, Niners should trade him to the Vikes for a 6th rounder
Purdy would easily get a 1st rounder (and almost assuredly a 2nd additionally) because he's so damn cheap for the next 2 years.

I think for that reason the 49ers hang onto him... but if some team was dumb enough to throw out 3 1st rounders, the 49ers are morons if they don't take that.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Purdy would easily get a 1st rounder (and almost assuredly a 2nd additionally) because he's so damn cheap for the next 2 years.

I think for that reason the 49ers hang onto him... but if some team was dumb enough to throw out 3 1st rounders, the 49ers are morons if they don't take that.

LOL. They need to recoup the lost first round picks from the Trey Lance debacle. Who knows, though? Maybe Trey Lance can still be something. I don't think that the Niners waited long enough to see if Trey Lance could be good. He only started four games. If Trey Lance becomes a good QB, then this will totally blow up in their face even more than it already has.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. They need to recoup the lost first round picks from the Trey Lance debacle. Who knows, though? Maybe Trey Lance can still be something. I don't think that the Niners waited long enough to see if Trey Lance could be good. He only started four games. If Trey Lance becomes a good QB, then this will totally blow up in their face even more than it already has.

The 9ers actually did pretty well managing that Lance debacle. I thought they'd be screwed afterwards but Lynch masterfully made great moves after that. Kind of sad to see Lance buried in a depth chart. I graded that pick very low if I recall correctly, but kind of sucks he got injured and then buried on a roster that IMO has no intention of starting him.

I guess I can't feel that bad. He's made more money with that top 5 selection than I'll ever make.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mahomes threw a TD pass to end the Super Bowl. If he had tripped, fumbled the ball, and the 49ers had recovered it then the 49ers would be Super Bowl champions and Purdy would be Super Bowl MVP.
If Jimmy G doesn't overthrow Sanders in his Super Bowl then Jimmy G would be a Super Bowl MVP LOL

Game of inches and lots of luck involved in outcomes.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stats show that he is clearly the better QB, so it doesn't support your point that Purdy and Jimmy G are essentially the same. The win-loss stat is assigned to QB's, but it is ultimately truly a team stat. The Niners will likely not continue to win 78% of their games moving forward with Purdy at the helm, but it doesn't mean that he is a worse QB moving forward than he was in his first 27 games.

Also, if a QB has a lower winning percentage than Purdy, it doesn't necessarily mean that a QB is worse than Purdy. Everyone universally agrees that Josh Allen is better, but his winning percentage is lower even if you exclude Allen's rookie season. You are not thinking about the stats you cited logically.
Again, is it the system or the QB when the results are the same? If you win the same amount of games with the same system do you really need to spend a lot of money on one QB?

That’s my question. Shanahan’s system has now done it with 3 different QB’s.