• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agent targets Offseason Armchair GM Thread

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Something to keep in mind which may lessen the blow of Nash's cap hit is if the formula for the cap stays the same under the new CBA and the players can still use the inflator option the cap would rise to just over $69.0m.

yeah, I heard about that... That does actually lessen the blow of these long term deals, since they deflate, in real terms, over the life of the deal.

I gotta admit, as much as those 10+ year deals are nutso, they work. NJ has kovy. Richards came with one. LA has 2 in carter/richards. Chicago had theirs with hossa which got them over the hump. Vancouver got bobby Lu for super cheap. Detroit has zetterberg and franzen for the same price as Marleau and murray. Obviously, they dont always work out, and it's not always a good idea, but it sure seems like they can definitely work.

Maybe dougie should stop being so concerned about being still with a big deal and roll the dice? Maybe sign suter for 13 years for 75M (5.7M cap hit), front loaded. Dougie should just go for it and then suter can retire at 37 and forgo the last 4 years (just like rafalski did in detroit). This summer may be the last chance to pull those kinds of moves...

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm not sure it's the length of the deal that Wilson has a problem with as much as it is having to front load them. Dougie said point blank this offseason that ownership spends more than revenues warrent. Having to fork out $9.0m up front to attract the high profile UFA's just isn't going to happen.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How high are you guys willing to bid for Suter? I know the guy is damn good, but it sure helps to play with Weber.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say Doug has got to go for it this offseason!

Buy Suter a house, car, get his child into a great school. Do whatever it takes.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How high are you guys willing to bid for Suter? I know the guy is damn good, but it sure helps to play with Weber.

Supposedly he wants a lifetime contract with whichever team he signs with for family reasons. DWil (or Ownership) doesn't seem to like doling out big, long term contracts. I'm not sure Suter is a fit here just because of that. He's 27, so they'd have to offesr something in the range of a 13 year, $75M contract ($10, $10, $7, $7, $7, $5, $5, $5, $5, $5, $3, $3, $3) I'd guess. If this is the case, the salary cap better keep going up. Paying a 36 - 40 year old defenseman $5.77M per year would be pretty rough.

And yes, I'm also worried about how he'd fit in on this Sharks team as constructed. I see his points dropping a ton. We don't have anybody on the current roster who crashes the net on the PP, screens the net on a PP, and nobody who has as good of shot as Weber (Burns is good, but he's not even close to Weber). The reason why Weber is so dangerous is because his shot is hard AND accurate. I'd love to have Suter if I were GM of another team or a rebuilding team, but a lot of what the Sharks currently have don't seem to mesh well with what Suter brings to the table. If I were Nashville, I'd offer him the contract above in a heartbeat. If I were Detroit, I'd offer the above contract in a heartbeat. I like Suter a ton, just not for the Sharks.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off season game plan is Pin Point Correct!

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
TSN thinks Souray is the answer as the top 4? Neh. I'd rather have Brad Stuart for that $3.

If the Sharks want Stuart and offer him a decent deal, he'll be back. I know that info firsthand.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Sharks want Stuart and offer him a decent deal, he'll be back. I know that info firsthand.

filo "likes" this. Offer him $2.5M and trade Murray for a 4th Liner who can hit and skate.

I wish SharksDay1 were here. He also had some good contacts/inside info on what was going on with the Sharks. He was a good dude.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winnick question?

Is he a 3rd or 4th liner? How much would you pay him to keep him?

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winnick question?

Is he a 3rd or 4th liner? How much would you pay him to keep him?

I think his worth is $2 to $2.5. But to me he is a luxury to have if a team can find some cap savings in other areas. Sharks need to find a 3rd line center before a 3rd line winger.

If Doug wants a scoring 3rd line, Winnik wouldn't look out of place imo. He would need to rely on his linemates to supply the offensive creativity though.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his worth is $2 to $2.5. But to me he is a luxury to have if a team can find some cap savings in other areas. Sharks need to find a 3rd line center before a 3rd line winger.

If Doug wants a scoring 3rd line, Winnik wouldn't look out of place imo. He would need to rely on his linemates to supply the offensive creativity though.

I agree with the bold for sure, and see where you're coming from with the idea of Winnik as a luxury, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that exactly.

While I agree SJ needs a 3rd line center first, Winnik can SKATE (and by SKATE in caps, I mean good things actually come from his SKATing...unlike Mitchell's skating, where there should be spoils, but they just aren't there as often as they should be). And SJ needs people who can SKATE.

There is also the possibility of Pavs or Patty centering the 3rd...

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
filo "likes" this. Offer him $2.5M and trade Murray for a 4th Liner who can hit and skate.

I wish SharksDay1 were here. He also had some good contacts/inside info on what was going on with the Sharks. He was a good dude.

I was thinking of that exact same move. Great minds think alike. LOL.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah right and monkeys are going to craw out of my butt too!

Its probably a long shot Wilson will do what it would take to bring Parise to San Jose. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sharks are high on Parise's list of desireable destinations, especially if Pavelski is still on the roster.