• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agent targets Offseason Armchair GM Thread

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Id like to see the sharks dump Nemo and for some miracle of hockey christ get Brouduer and bring up Stalock, with the intent of having Marty carry the load early on and mentor Stalock and gradually over the season let Stalock take over.

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id like to see the sharks dump Nemo and for some miracle of hockey christ get Brouduer and bring up Stalock, with the intent of having Marty carry the load early on and mentor Stalock and gradually over the season let Stalock take over.

I am all for that!

... If it could even possibly happen

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although there are other spots to fill, I think Parise could bring the fire we need to this team. Can you imagine him with Pavelski or Couture. We could see a determined Sharks team for once. One can only hope.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
David Jones has re-signed with Colorado. 4 years $16.0m.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pollak tweeting some Sharks news is coming shortly. No details as to what it may pertain to so speculate away.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice trade, it's probably a foregone conclusion that Stu will sign. Now, how much money is Doug Wilson going to give him and for how long? Also, if Stuart wanted to come back in the first place, we could have just signed him on July 1st and not given up anything right? I won't miss Murray but you never know who you can land in the 7th round.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have liked to sign him with out giving up assets but Murray is a ufa so that's no big deal plus we have several late round picks. I think this was just Doug guaranteeing Stuart becomes a Shark next season.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Doug definitely showed his cards in terms of his commitment to Stuart. Word among fans on TSN is that this trade all but guarantees Ryan Suter will sign with the Wings in July. I'm happy to have Stuart but damn I really want Suter in teal.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We still need more help on the blue line!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Now comes the huge overpayment for stuart, followed by everyone on the board loving it. Mark my words, just as I said about the zues signing, moore trade, and ginner trade... Brad Stuart is NOT the answer. We will quickly turn sour when we realize that he is not the 25 year old we dealt. He is much slower, much weaker, and will quickly become a liability. He is fine as a depth Dman in a #5/6 role for under 2M, but I strongly doubt we'll get that. Probably we're just gunna keep getting older and older and pray that something changes.

The sharks need a suter-type. They need to get a whole lot younger. They have no farm, No clear top 6 O prospects or top 4 D prospects. They have only 4 picks in the first 6 rounds in the draft. With Stuart, they will have 8 players 30+ (out of a total of 15) signed for next year with just 1 legit player under 25 (as defined by top solid top 4 D or top 9 F) in cooch and only 3 under 30 (add in pickles and pavs). And, they just got blown away by an OK team that subsequently got swept by LA.

It's not that stuart is terrible, just that dougie really needs to be looking elsewhere.

p.s.: Nix all I just wrote if he signs for under 2M. At 1 or 1.5, Im all for it :-)

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now comes the huge overpayment for stuart, followed by everyone on the board loving it. Mark my words, just as I said about the zues signing, moore trade, and ginner trade... Brad Stuart is NOT the answer. We will quickly turn sour when we realize that he is not the 25 year old we dealt. He is much slower, much weaker, and will quickly become a liability. He is fine as a depth Dman in a #5/6 role for under 2M, but I strongly doubt we'll get that. Probably we're just gunna keep getting older and older and pray that something changes.

The sharks need a suter-type. They need to get a whole lot younger. They have no farm, No clear top 6 O prospects or top 4 D prospects. They have only 4 picks in the first 6 rounds in the draft. With Stuart, they will have 8 players 30+ (out of a total of 15) signed for next year with just 1 legit player under 25 (as defined by top solid top 4 D or top 9 F) in cooch and only 3 under 30 (add in pickles and pavs). And, they just got blown away by an OK team that subsequently got swept by LA.

It's not that stuart is terrible, just that dougie really needs to be looking elsewhere.

p.s.: Nix all I just wrote if he signs for under 2M. At 1 or 1.5, Im all for it :-)

What did you expect would happen? The Sharks would all of the sudden chase big name free agents even though we are a top heavy team?

When is the last time the Sharks signed a Suter / Parise caliber player?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Was kind of hoping for an announcement on the coaches but, oh well.

If Stuart signs I think it will be in the $2.5m - $3.0m range. Hopefully for one year, two years max. If he's utilized to stabalize the bottom pairing this is a solid improvement to the D group. He'd be an upgrade over Murray in a top 4 role but the Sharks would still have some of the same issues.

I read this move in two possible ways:

1: One of Demers/Bruan/Murray are being included in a trade (Nash most likely) and Wilson wants the insurance of having a replacement signed before it happens and not risk Stuart going somewhere else.

2: Wilson wants to know where he stands with Stuart and possibly have a better grasp of his defense group before draft day which I think is more likely.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll overpay and for too long. They'll also rely on him to be a top four dman. Not excited.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What did you expect would happen? The Sharks would all of the sudden chase big name free agents even though we are a top heavy team?

When is the last time the Sharks signed a Suter / Parise caliber player?

Actually the sharks have done that in a way by acquiring a player and then signing/resigning them. They did this with jumbo, burns, and others. That said, you are definitely right that they dont generally chase the big names, so I guess it's not as much what I expect as what I wish.

As for Stuart, if they can ditch murray in a nash deal, then this becomes a much better move. Stuart>murray and for the same salary (or hopefully less), then it's an upgrade. Still doesnt solve the D problems or the 3rd line issues, but at least it wont make a D that's got both murray and stuart playing big minutes.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll overpay and for too long. They'll also rely on him to be a top four dman. Not excited.

Per the Merc, Stuart wants this contract to be his final one. If that's the case, hopefully DWil can do some magic with extending out the term to make the cap hit more friendly. If Stuart will sign a 4 year front loaded contract for an average of $2M, that would be good. Something like $3.5M, $2.5M, $1.5M, $.5M, I'd be ok with it. It would put Stuart on the Sharks until he's 37 years of age, but hopefully the cap # will keep rising.

Hopefully he'll replace Douglas Murray and be a #5 defenseman.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Was kind of hoping for an announcement on the coaches but, oh well.

If Stuart signs I think it will be in the $2.5m - $3.0m range. Hopefully for one year, two years max. If he's utilized to stabalize the bottom pairing this is a solid improvement to the D group. He'd be an upgrade over Murray in a top 4 role but the Sharks would still have some of the same issues.

I read this move in two possible ways:

1: One of Demers/Bruan/Murray are being included in a trade (Nash most likely) and Wilson wants the insurance of having a replacement signed before it happens and not risk Stuart going somewhere else.

2: Wilson wants to know where he stands with Stuart and possibly have a better grasp of his defense group before draft day which I think is more likely.

I read it the same:

1. If murray is involved in a nash deal, then it's all good. I dont see that happening though only because I fail to see what CBJ would see in a 32 year old to-be-ufa, slow Dman. If braun or demers is involved then it adds questionable salary, so I dunno how this could end up being beneficial in that way.

2. I see why wilson would sign stuey, since he is exactly a dougie kind of guy. A little physical, over the hill, and overpriced :-) Nah, It's fine depending on if this gives him the opportunity to make a shrewd deal. For example, he could deal murray on draft day for a early-mid pick (like 3rd round). Murray into Stuart and a 3rd rounder for even money is not bad.