• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agent targets Offseason Armchair GM Thread

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Players we should target are Parise and Suter. Do what it takes to make the room. I love that Handzus is gonna take up $2.5 again next season. FABULOUS signing Dougie.

Im not sure on parise since he may command 8M and I'm not sold that he is worth that. he's better than patty, but 8M would be tough.

However, Suter shouuld be primary target. Top D is much harder to come by and suter would e a minute machine for years and years. i would be fine going upwards of 8M for him for at least 5+ years.

Suter, burns, boyle would become the top 1-2-3 on D in the league.

the key for dougie is going to dumping crap salary like zues and murray (and of course marleau). Suter would only cost 2-3M more than zues and muray and be a HUGE upgrade to the roster for potentially the next decade.

however, if they splurge on suter, they would have to find the hidden gems up front like those I metnioned before. Guys like boyes, stempniak, crabb, stoll, and the like who might have had off years or o brand name, but can scrape together a decent third line (any 3rd line is better than moore and mitchell)

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Doug isn't fired I see him re signing Vandermeer or White.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not sure on parise since he may command 8M and I'm not sold that he is worth that. he's better than patty, but 8M would be tough.

However, Suter shouuld be primary target. Top D is much harder to come by and suter would e a minute machine for years and years. i would be fine going upwards of 8M for him for at least 5+ years.

Suter, burns, boyle would become the top 1-2-3 on D in the league.

the key for dougie is going to dumping crap salary like zues and murray (and of course marleau). Suter would only cost 2-3M more than zues and muray and be a HUGE upgrade to the roster for potentially the next decade.

however, if they splurge on suter, they would have to find the hidden gems up front like those I metnioned before. Guys like boyes, stempniak, crabb, stoll, and the like who might have had off years or o brand name, but can scrape together a decent third line (any 3rd line is better than moore and mitchell)

It would be nice if we could dump Marleau to LA for Greene, Clifford, prospect, and a pick. That would also free up some cap space.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be nice if we could dump Marleau to LA for Greene, Clifford, prospect, and a pick. That would also free up some cap space.

With LA taking on both Carter and Richards as well as the extension for Doughty, I am failing to see how they could take on Crabby Patty's contract and the dead weight that he is. I don't know what their payroll is like, I just don't see it.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With LA taking on both Carter and Richards as well as the extension for Doughty, I am failing to see how they could take on Crabby Patty's contract and the dead weight that he is. I don't know what their payroll is like, I just don't see it.

Yeah, might have to throw Gagne in the mix.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Luongo says he's willing to waive his NTC.

I'm not suggesting the Sharks go after him with this post, just pointing out there is another goalie on the market should the Sharks look to move Niemi.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not suggesting the Sharks go after him with this post, just pointing out there is another goalie on the market should the Sharks look to move Niemi.

how many years left on his contract? isn't it quite a lot? :)

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope VAN finds no takers for Luongo. Serves a team right for offering a ridiculous contract.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niemi, Marleau, Murray pick to Edmonton for the 1st overall. Bury Handuez in the minors or buy him out. Sign Stuart, Suter & Paraise...

Pretty nice lineup:
Forwards: Thornton, Havlett, Parise, Logan, Clowe, Pavelski, Wingles, Setoguchi, Coyle, Yakupov (makeshift 4th liners)
Defence: Boyle, Stuart, Suter, Vlasic, Demers, Braun
Goalies: Griess & Stalock (or pickup a vet goalie)

Oh wait that cant happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is not a comment towards anyones post in particular i just wanted to use it!

demotivational-posters-an-ewok-riding-a-delorean.jpg

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I can see Edmonton, Flordia & Toronto being interested. If the contract wasnt so long I would see Detroit in there also

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I can see Edmonton, Flordia & Toronto being interested. If the contract wasnt so long I would see Detroit in there also

No one will take bobby's lu's deal without vancouver giving up something major of real value in return. He has been subpar and more importantly, he has 10 years(!!!) left at 5.3M, an already high number, and he already 33. No team in their right mind owuld deam of taking this contract on except for montreal in exchange for someone like gomez or edmonton for horcoff+Khabibulin so at least they can offload some of their own garbage.

Any team that takes on bobby lu's salary, even for nothing, is totally idiotic, let alone give up something of value. If gillis unloads him smoothly, he would be my pick for GM of the year.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
5.3 mil isnt that bad, and you can always buy out those remaining years. and you never know he could play til he's 70yrs old like Dwayne Roloson

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niemi, Marleau, Murray pick to Edmonton for the 1st overall. Bury Handuez in the minors or buy him out. Sign Stuart, Suter & Paraise...

Pretty nice lineup:
Forwards: Thornton, Havlett, Parise, Logan, Clowe, Pavelski, Wingles, Setoguchi, Coyle, Yakupov (makeshift 4th liners)
Defence: Boyle, Stuart, Suter, Vlasic, Demers, Braun
Goalies: Griess & Stalock (or pickup a vet goalie)

Oh wait that cant happen.

While im in my time machine traveling back in time through fantasy land, I decided to make another change. The McGinn deal never happened so the top 11 forwards on SJ are now Thornton, Havlat, Parise, Couture, Clowe, Pavelski, Setoguchi, Wingles, Coyle, Yakupov & McGinn...
And this badass all-star lineup could all be had for under cap. Gettin rid of Marleau, Nemo & Murray saves bout 13.3. Getting Mitchell, Winchester, Vandameer, White & Nitty off the books saves bout another $4mil. Seto makes bout $2 mil less then Burns. Thats bout $20 mil to get Parise, Suter & Stuart. Yukapov, Coyle, Stalock make rookie salary. Mcginn, wingles, Griess, braun & demers dont make shit. Edmonton would probably throw in Khabibulan since they wont need him with Dubdick & Nemo in goal. He can be there in case Griess or Stalock fail. But with a D like this and a Foward unit as potent as the one above, the goalies wouldnt have to be anything special. I think Marleau would also thrive in Edmonton to since they are a pretty fast team. Nuge & Marleau would be a pretty good combo

Ahhhh, this would be so nice. But hey, We have Burns now so...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
5.3 mil isnt that bad, and you can always buy out those remaining years. and you never know he could play til he's 70yrs old like Dwayne Roloson

5.3 isnt THAT much for maybe the next year or two, but very few goalies are any good after 35. turko fell apart. bulin wall too. How many 35+ starting goalies are there in the league right now? and how many are playing worthy of a 5M salary?

And, other than rollie, who is falling apart too, noone is good into their 40's. As for buyout, ask NYI how the yashin debacle hurt them? Buying out 5+ years of a contract means lost cap scpae for over 10 years! and with bobby lu, it's 1/3 of the cap space lost per year, so that's nearly 2M per off forever. No team will want that.

not to mention he has played himself out of the starting job in vancouver. He was the undisputed #1, until he sucked even be benched in the PO's.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there so much talk about wanting Parise? When I think of him I see another Pavelski, but with more speed. I say Doug / new GM should focus on Suter & Stuart on the blueline. Then figure out getting a right handed forward to play wing. The Shark really need a forward that thinks "shoot first" and not try to pass.

I'm sure glad I'm not Doug Wilson, because I think this will be the hardest offseason he has ever had.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is assuming Doug thinks this core can give it another go. Whether that's the right thing to do is for another time. In this scenario, Patty and Joe are not traded because they wouldn't get an equal return of immediate on ice value, and the goal is still to win now. Until Doug actually signs a top UFA, I'm going to assume he won't sign a top UFA.

- Trade Murray to CAR for Chad Larose. Feisty third liner that can score. Saves $800K, both on last year of current deal.

- Trade Clowe to TOR for Clarke MacArthur + draft pick. LW for LW swap. Lose grit for speed. Save $400K, both on last year of current deal.

- Sign a third line pivot (all around $3 for 4 years):
Choice #1. Paul Gaustad - Big, tough checking third line center with amazing faceoff ability. What Handzus was supposed to be. Makes up a bit for the lost toughness in trades above.

Choice #2. Jarret Stoll - mentioned in previous post

Choice #3. Chris Kelly: mentioned in previous post

- Sign Brad Stuart. Solid with decent skating for size. $3 for 3 years.

- Resign Winnik $2 for 3 years.

- Resign Wingels $1 for 2 years.

- Resign Winchester $800K

- Stash Handzus in the AHL.

Couture/Thornton/Pavelski - two snipers for Thornton
MacArthur/Marleau/Havlat - Speed and skill
Winnik/Gaustad/LaRose - Rugged, defensive line with tenacious wingers to forecheck
Winchester/Desjardins/Wingels

Vlasic/Burns - true top pairing
Stuart/Boyle - A solid D partner for Boyle
Braun/Demers

Not very drastic, but I'm trying not to get all 'NHL12' up in here. Hurts a lot to trade the two most intimidating guys on the team, but I want speed speed speed on the wings so they are more of a threat in transition.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there so much talk about wanting Parise? When I think of him I see another Pavelski, but with more speed. I say Doug / new GM should focus on Suter & Stuart on the blueline. Then figure out getting a right handed forward to play wing. The Shark really need a forward that thinks "shoot first" and not try to pass.

I'm sure glad I'm not Doug Wilson, because I think this will be the hardest offseason he has ever had.

Pavelski would be shipped out and money would be spent on his upgrade with Parise. I love Pavs but he is limited by his skating. I also think Parise is a notch above in the scoring department.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pavelski would be shipped out and money would be spent on his upgrade with Parise. I love Pavs but he is limited by his skating. I also think Parise is a notch above in the scoring department.

One of the primary reason Parise would come to San Jose is to play with Pavelski. Parise, Suter, and Pavelski are all very good friends and in the past have said they liked playing together on Team USA and would really like to play together in the NHL.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the primary reason Parise would come to San Jose is to play with Pavelski. Parise, Suter, and Pavelski are all very good friends and in the past have said they liked playing together on Team USA and would really like to play together in the NHL.

All three would be even better. We'd need some salary dumps though.