• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free agent targets Offseason Armchair GM Thread

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here are my list of players dougie should target:

1. Lee Stempniak: finished 5th on the flames' forwards in scoring but only -2, on a team with lots of minuses. 12 EV goals. 16 mins of ice is a fair amount but in line with a 3rd liner. Likely can be gotten for under 2M and just 29, so he should be OK for a few years. 3 years, 5M or so?

2. Joey Crabb: no brand name here at all, but that's where the bvest deals are found. 11 goals on no PP time and actually 2 shorties. Plays only 13 mins a game and still put up decent production, including a +1 on a crappy defensive team. Also just 29, so he could be good for several years. 2 years, 2.5M or so?

3. Chris Kelly: he's a bit older at 31, but had 19 EV goals and 38 EV points and is the quintessential perfect 3rd line C. Those goal and point numbers at EV are just 1 behind marleau and couture and 4 behind pavs. In other words, with ample PP time, he'd likely be a 60 point player. He is an excellent PKer, extremely hard worker, and he's been to the cup twice, and of course won last year. I say, 3 years, 10.5M (3.5M per?) This would be the best UFA signing of dougie's career, I believe, since I think Kelly might be really worth well over 4M per.

Together, those three would make a very respectable 3rd line and cost less combined than PM alone.

The sharks have 8.7M in cap space. If they buyout zues, they'll have 10.5M. after resigning braun for 1M, desi, wingles, and galiardi for 700K each average, the D will be pretty much full and they'll have 9 forwards signed and just need a third line with roughly 7-7.5M in cap space, enough for all three of those guys. This would assume no offseason deals since those are pretty unpredictable.

Thornton, Marleau, Pavelski, Clowe, Couture, Havlat, Kelly, Stempniak, Crabb, Galiardi, desjardins, and wingels as the top 12 and the same 6 D. I actually think the upgraded 3rd line would make a tremendous difference. the bottom 6 contributed only one goal the whole series, and ironically, that's the only game they won, which underscores the crucial importance of the 3rd line.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade Murray, bring in Brad Stuart.

-$2.5 + $3.5 = +$1

Boyle/Stuart
Burns/Vlasic
Braun/(Demers/UFA vet)

Hovertical

mmmmm fish
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey I like the Joey Crabb suggestion actually. I thought he was a nice (albeit kinda unknown) guy. Plus I'm sure everyone could come up with oodles of horribly lame puns and jokes during the season using his rather unique last name. It'd be a shell of a time. (too soon?)

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, that totally explains why he couldnt skate hard for the last 2 months...

RIGHT?!?! Going to make me sick seeing all of the fans give him a pass when news of his injury comes out. I got one name and a letter for ya, Stevie and Y. Although it's not fair expecting someone to play through the injuries that Stevie Y did but these guys today get paid more to do it, some of em (Patricia) just don't. I am NOT letting him off the hook. You'd think the desire and urgency would help him push through, didn't see any of that and like you said, the hand and wrist don't affect he's lackadaisical skating. Vous voir a Montreal Patricia! :wave:

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also would like to add, I have no idea who I want coming in at this time. I just know who I want GONE. And it's about 50% of the team.

Demers
White
Vandermeer
Galiardi
Marleau
Mitchell
Moore
Winchester
Murray
Niemi
:lm:

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Trade Murray, bring in Brad Stuart.

-$2.5 + $3.5 = +$1

Boyle/Stuart
Burns/Vlasic
Braun/(Demers/UFA vet)

No way on stuart, especially for that kind of money. He is old, slow and got lit up by the preds' speed. Stuart is not the kind of guy dougie should be targeting, except for well under 2M. Sharks dont need his kind of player.

Sharks need to younger and faster. Id rather a colaiacovo-type who adds much more mobility, is much younger, and can add to both ends of the ice.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Hey I like the Joey Crabb suggestion actually. I thought he was a nice (albeit kinda unknown) guy. Plus I'm sure everyone could come up with oodles of horribly lame puns and jokes during the season using his rather unique last name. It'd be a shell of a time. (too soon?)

HAHAHA!!! lols.... I'm really itchin' to see him in teal :-)

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like it or not, Stuart is going to be a Shark next year. It's a given.

Move on to discussing other players but he's pretty much on the Sharks roster right now.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
can you imagine a line with some jumbo crabb cooch.... ewwwwwwww......

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My vote won't happen at all. That said, until the Sharks get rid of Marleau and Thornton and rebuild/reload, the playoff heartaches will continue to mount. Get rid of them both. Please.

Trade Thornton to CLB for Ryan Johansen and the 2nd overall pick.
Trade Marleau to MON for Tomas Kaberle (salary dump) and their 1st Round pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Manny Malhotra a UFA after this year?

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Also would like to add, I have no idea who I want coming in at this time. I just know who I want GONE. And it's about 50% of the team.

Demers
White
Vandermeer
Galiardi
Marleau
Mitchell
Moore
Winchester
Murray
Niemi
:lm:

Yep, most of those guys will be gone.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What would it take to package something to edmonton for the #1 pick?? Edm needs a goalie & Dmen...

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What would it take to package something to edmonton for the #1 pick?? Edm needs a goalie & Dmen...

Edmonton should just keep doing what they've been doing. If they can keep all these young guys together, they are gonna be really good.
I doubt the Sharks have much they would want. Maybe Couture.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just tried the Doritos Locos at Tbell cafe...i think i would trade many of our players for more of these tasty tacos.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I also wouldnt mind stoll as a 3rd line C. he had a bad year so his stock is going to be down. However, he too can put the puck in the net and play in all situations, and he'll turn just 30 this offseason, so he should have 3 more solid years before being in real decline. obviously, I wouldnt take him at his current 3.4M, but it's hard to see any team giving him that kind of money after a 6 goal, 21 point season. I would snatch him in a second for 2-2.5M per though.

Another guy who might be worth a shot is brad boyes. He scored 40 goals for the blues and has seen his stock completely plummet. He's also only 30, and with his off year last year, he might be on the cheap. Signing guys like him for 1 to 2M, could have a huge upside with minimal risk. if they deal marleau, pavelski, or clowe for sturdier defense, picks, or younger forwards, then Boyes might be a solid replacement at a lower cost.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Broken wrist and hand for Marleau is bullshit. If that was true they wouldn't have moved him to C.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way on stuart, especially for that kind of money. He is old, slow and got lit up by the preds' speed. Stuart is not the kind of guy dougie should be targeting, except for well under 2M. Sharks dont need his kind of player.

Sharks need to younger and faster. Id rather a colaiacovo-type who adds much more mobility, is much younger, and can add to both ends of the ice.

I agree with you on the $3.5 being a bit high for someone of his age and skill, but I feel the Sharks do need a big-ish body if Murray were to leave. I'd like at least two bigger type dmen as part of the top 6. Burns is one, the other can be Stuart or whoever is the 6th dman.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players we should target are Parise and Suter. Do what it takes to make the room. I love that Handzus is gonna take up $2.5 again next season. FABULOUS signing Dougie.

Likewall32

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Players we should target are Parise and Suter. Do what it takes to make the room. I love that Handzus is gonna take up $2.5 again next season. FABULOUS signing Dougie.

Buy him out. Trade Marleau anyway possbile. Ship Niemi to Edmonton. I love Boyle, but he's another year older. Ship him with Niemi to Edmonton. Get some draft picks in return. That should free up money to go after Parise & Suter & Stuart.