• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franchise Tag

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really feel this way? I’m not all into that, “Fuck everybody and fuck the employees. The billionaire deserves everything and we should bow down to their feet and let them piss on us”. Why can’t they have the freedom to play for who they want and where they want and be able to make the most money they can?
Should your work be like that?

Sounds like you also favor open borders.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you really feel this way? I’m not all into that, “Fuck everybody and fuck the employees. The billionaire deserves everything and we should bow down to their feet and let them piss on us”. Why can’t they have the freedom to play for who they want and where they want and be able to make the most money they can?
Should your work be like that?
why should they be any different than you and me? I do what my boss tells me, and what the company rules are. They agreed to it, they are unionized. I dont feel bad for them, they make ALOT of money, even the guys getting minimums make a good buck.....i should feel bad that they get guaranteed average of top 5 at their position?, get out of here........pay me top 5 for my occupation......

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wondering (out of the blue) if kids today even play tag anymore. Can it be done by phone.

Gang tag was lots of fun, especially if you were the last man standing.
Only real gangs play that now and they do it with bullets.
No one has fun.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players want security in a long term contract. Not this one year crap even though the money is nice

Multiple tags...of course the players want long term security, either somebody glossed over the fine print, or because the sum was growing significantly on multiple tags, they conceded it to get something else such as the rookie wage scale.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why should they be any different than you and me? I do what my boss tells me, and what the company rules are. They agreed to it, they are unionized. I dont feel bad for them, they make ALOT of money, even the guys getting minimums make a good buck.....i should feel bad that they get guaranteed average of top 5 at their position?, get out of here........pay me top 5 for my occupation......

I don't feel bad for them getting tagged, but I push back on a couple of your points.

ALOT of money...relative to what?

The common joe 9 to 5? Yes...they do make a lot of money.

Other professional team sports?...maybe the top 12-15 players paid players, but not the rank and file.

The big difference in these guys compared to us...regardless of how good I think I am at my job, there are probably a 100,000 people in metro ATL that have the skillset to do this job....there are normally 32 to 64 jobs for a starting position in the NFL. Take a position like RB...32 starters, but maybe 50-60 guys in the world have the skillset to start league wide.

The pro athlete income comparison to the avg working joe is never a good one.

I think the tag was something that players never realized was going to be so controlling...especially multiple tags. I think we'll see some adjustments to the tags in the next CBA. I think once you've reached FA status you should have the ability to get an open market bid...and the team with the tag control has to offer you a long term deal matching the lowest deal. If the player doesn't accept, the team can apply the tag...if they don't offer a long term deal matching the lowest long term deal, the team loses the ability to tag, player is a FA.

This is not intended to be an open and shut solution, but I don't expect to see the tags go away 100% in the new CBA.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just like anything its your job. Its not the normal world where u can seek out new jobs. THe owners, and league who pay their check have that system in place. I dont think any player DESERVES free agency.........they have a jon, behappy

And getting paid a shit ton to do their job, but while other sports also get big money the NFL players are also taking a much bigger risk in their job

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
franchise day is here:suds:

• Falcons assigned the franchise tag to DT Grady Jarrett.
    Easily this year's top defensive tackle eligible for free agency, Jarrett is a target for the Falcons in long-term extension talks. Those talks didn't result in a multi-year deal before Tuesday's franchise deadline, so Jarrett will wear Atlanta's tag in the interim. Turning 26 in April, Jarrett is one of the nastiest and most versatile interior defensive linemen in the game

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seahawks assigned the franchise tag to RE Frank Clark.
Each of this year's top-four free agent edge rushers are now sporting franchise tags; Clark joins Jadeveon Clowney, DeMarcus Lawrence, and Dee Ford as being removed from the market. Still only 25 -- he turns 26 in June -- Clark is coming off a career-best 13-sack season and has 32 sacks over the past three years.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with placing the tag on a player once but multiple times? How do you even agree to this in the first place?

I just don't get it
I have to wonder if the specifics of the tag were covered completely, which is to say I don't think using the tag more than once was ever considered.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys assigned the franchise tag to DE DeMarcus Lawrence.
This is Lawrence's second straight year being tagged. Reports indicate Lawrence is willing to endure a lengthy holdout in hopes of landing a long-term deal, and that the sides are "not close." On Monday, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Clarence Hill reported Lawrence simply will "not show up" until a multi-year extension is reached. Lawrence and Jadeveon Clowney were the top-two edge rushers in free agency. Now, neither will hit the market.

molsaniceman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans assigned the franchise tag to OLB Jadeveon Clowney.
The expected move locks Clowney into $15.967 million for 2019. NBC's Peter King has previously passed along skepticism that the sides will reach a long-term agreement. Considering Clowney's injury history, it is hardly surprising. They have until mid-July to reach an accord. For their part, the Texans insist they want a long-term pact. Clowney has tallied at least nine sacks each of the past two seasons, earning boffo grades from Pro Football Focus in the process.

how will he ever get by:suds:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get paid but you're one major injury from never getting paid well again.

Tear an Achilles in year 1 or 2 of a franchise tag and you just missed out on a huge pay day in the future that you will probably never get to see again
Okay you are pissing and moaning about the risk of injury and length of career. All these players are aware of this it's risk you take. But hey lumberjacks get paid a lot less for a more dangerous job, as do cops, prison guards, EMT and Paremedics, firemen etc so I can't feel to bad for these guys.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay you are pissing and moaning about the risk of injury and length of career. All these players are aware of this it's risk you take. But hey lumberjacks get paid a lot less for a more dangerous job, as do cops, prison guards, EMT and Paremedics, firemen etc so I can't feel to bad for these guys.
How about our military:salute:
Merica

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't feel bad for them getting tagged, but I push back on a couple of your points.

ALOT of money...relative to what?

The common joe 9 to 5? Yes...they do make a lot of money.

Other professional team sports?...maybe the top 12-15 players paid players, but not the rank and file.

The big difference in these guys compared to us...regardless of how good I think I am at my job, there are probably a 100,000 people in metro ATL that have the skillset to do this job....there are normally 32 to 64 jobs for a starting position in the NFL. Take a position like RB...32 starters, but maybe 50-60 guys in the world have the skillset to start league wide.

The pro athlete income comparison to the avg working joe is never a good one.

I think the tag was something that players never realized was going to be so controlling...especially multiple tags. I think we'll see some adjustments to the tags in the next CBA. I think once you've reached FA status you should have the ability to get an open market bid...and the team with the tag control has to offer you a long term deal matching the lowest deal. If the player doesn't accept, the team can apply the tag...if they don't offer a long term deal matching the lowest long term deal, the team loses the ability to tag, player is a FA.

This is not intended to be an open and shut solution, but I don't expect to see the tags go away 100% in the new CBA.
They make a lot of money period. To most of America . The rank and file aren’t paid well?

And yes fewer ppl do what they do, hence the compensation

“Just my opinion

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They make a lot of money period. To most of America . The rank and file aren’t paid well?

And yes fewer ppl do what they do, hence the compensation

“Just my opinion

There all just opinions, but when you speak of pro athletes salaries in the same sentence with the common Joe...you lose me because I struggle with relevance.

Rank and file...again compared to what? NBA rank and file? No they don't make a lot of money. Compared to the avg Joe, sure, that's a lot of money.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There all just opinions, but when you speak of pro athletes salaries in the same sentence with the common Joe...you lose me because I struggle with relevance.

Rank and file...again compared to what? NBA rank and file? No they don't make a lot of money. Compared to the avg Joe, sure, that's a lot of money.
Compared to anyone95% of america

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL union is not as strong as other leagues