• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franchise Tag

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know why they haven't drawn a line on the issue.

They could all lose a year of wages. But owners would lose billions.

It's crazy they play without guaranteed contracts. And it's on them. Much bigger issue than franchise tags imo.

If I get hurt at work, working for the man for my paltry wage, I get compo. But it's not 100% of my wage, but tax free.

If I was earning brazillions, having a 100% guaranteed contract might be nice but not necessary. If I wasn't going out and knocking up every woman in the free world and buying a new Lambo for every day of the week I could likely get by on my savings.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Insurance policy!!

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I get hurt at work, working for the man for my paltry wage, I get compo. But it's not 100% of my wage, but tax free.

If I was earning brazillions, having a 100% guaranteed contract might be nice but not necessary. If I wasn't going out and knocking up every woman in the free world and buying a new Lambo for every day of the week I could likely get by on my savings.
You and I aren't in possession of the talents that these men are. There is a scarcity to what they bring to the table.

And I'm not relocating, for anyone, anywhere, without a guarenteed contract. Even with my average at Best skill set. Illegal immigrants might, young ones, but I won't.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most players don't get rich off their football careers either.

They make good money, for a handful of years, till their body gives out. And they get cut and no longer earn income, abruptly. A very small minority makes millions per season.

Getting the remainder of that year final year of service would be a huge improvement, imo. And would benefit 90% of the league as a whole.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and I aren't in possession of the talents that these men are. There is a scarcity to what they bring to the table.

And I'm not relocating, for anyone, anywhere, without a guarenteed contract. Even with my average at Best skill set. Illegal immigrants might, young ones, but I won't.

I don't care.

I could understand coverage for medical afterwards, but I see no need for guaranteed contracts 100% across the board.

Not everybody is a phenom.

Some are just big fat guys who lift weights.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They make good money, for a handful of years, till their body gives out. And they get cut and no longer earn income, abruptly. A very small minority makes millions per season.

Getting the remainder of that year final year of service would be a huge improvement, imo. And would benefit 90% of the league as a whole.

No gun put to head. It's a bit of luck.

Kind of like that coin toss to start OT.....

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care.

I could understand coverage for medical afterwards, but I see no need for guaranteed contracts 100% across the board.

Not everybody is a phenom.

Some are just big fat guys who lift weights.
Alright...

Meat with cleats for Hank.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute... people are expecting football players to WORK... a REGULAR JOB... AFTER their football careers?!?!?

Ok... you people have gone TOO far with this shit now!!!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's crazy they play without guaranteed contracts. And it's on them. Much bigger issue than franchise tags imo.
I think guaranteed contracts could kill the NFL.

If they do go guaranteed contracts, I think the Cap percentage will have to be lowered and only the current year roster counts against the cap. No more dead money.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute... people are expecting football players to WORK... a REGULAR JOB... AFTER their football careers?!?!?

Ok... you people have gone TOO far with this shit now!!!

I think players should he vested a lot earlier than they are in the NFL. Give them 5
$10,000 a year for every year they played capped at around $80 to100,000 per year + medical benefits.

Medical benefits could be provided only to players with a certain number of years played, or if they were cut or had to retire due to injury.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think guaranteed contracts could kill the NFL.

If they do go guaranteed contracts, I think the Cap percentage will have to be lowered and only the current year roster counts against the cap. No more dead money.
The Cap should be loose.

No reason a team can't buy its way out imo. Other than a few owners, like yours, who try to actually win, would cost fuckfaces, like the Fords money. Salary Caps are more profit floors than anything. "Forgiveness" should be available, while the player still gets his money.

Rosters should be bigger, contracts should be guarenteed, medical teams should not be by team, minor leagues should be professional, not money grubbing institutions pretending to be placed of higher learning.

Non guarenteed contracts are a joke. No idea why any proven player signs a deal with money they aren't guarenteed. Like a baseball player getting a no trade clause, somebody will give it to you.

It's impossible for a team to lose money right now.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought you guys were buds now?

@Tapey ... any thoughts?
Nah, I could have a very compelling argument that is right and PE1 will say I'm clearly trolling and everyone is out to get him. But i wish you all nothing but the best of luck

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They play for guarenteed money. A player knows the minimum he'll get when he signs. Not feeling bad for anyone making guarenteed millions.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NFL average in $2.1M per year.

League minimum base salaries for players in this year's draft are as follows: $480,000 (Year 1), $555,000 (Year 2),$630,000 (Year 3) and $705,000 (Year 4).

It's all about the guarentees.

The majority of Americans will never see this kind of $. Those same folks also don't have guarenteed employment.

Those figures don't include bennies like free medical, free food, free trainers, endorsements, shoes and clothing, relocation expenses...Most got free educations no student loans to pay back.
Sorry but some players are dumb if they run into financial ruin.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is that dumb?
All players negotiate their contract. They know what they'll get minimum. If it's not enough they need better negotiating skills or agents.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are a union, they agreed to this. Don’t like something, don’t agree to it. It’s that simple.

In short, yes they agreed to it.

But it's not that simple...for reasons I'm not sure, but historically the NFLPA has had poor management and lessor skilled people at the negotiating table.

Secondly, and this is equally liable imo...you have to understand the dynamic of an NFL locker room. 53 + PS...you have 60+ players. About 15 of them make very good money equal to other top performers in other sports. Another 10 or so make at or near a million a season and the rest are league minimum. More than half the team are league minimum type players.

In order to make real change, the players will have to sit out...maybe a whole season...this may sound strange, but I have reason to believe this is true...many of these guys would be hurting financially after missing 4 games checks...they would cave long before 16 games.

Until they're prepared to do something drastic, they will keep nimbling away at true FA.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In short, yes they agreed to it.

But it's not that simple...for reasons I'm not sure, but historically the NFLPA has had poor management and lessor skilled people at the negotiating table.

Secondly, and this is equally liable imo...you have to understand the dynamic of an NFL locker room. 53 + PS...you have 60+ players. About 15 of them make very good money equal to other top performers in other sports. Another 10 or so make at or near a million a season and the rest are league minimum. More than half the team are league minimum type players.

In order to make real change, the players will have to sit out...maybe a whole season...this may sound strange, but I have reason to believe this is true...many of these guys would be hurting financially after missing 4 games checks...they would cave long before 16 games.

Until they're prepared to do something drastic, they will keep nimbling away at true FA.
i agree. IM just stating, that yes their ability to make money in that field is much smaller than than say mine and your field. But league minimum is 480,00. Avg Us income is 56k. SO thats roughjly 8.5 years worth of avg income. If they manage their funds smartly they have a real head start on things. and the rest of the guys are wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of the game as well. and well they had scholarships for careers given to them as well.