• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Franchise Tag

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think guaranteed contracts could kill the NFL.

If they do go guaranteed contracts, I think the Cap percentage will have to be lowered and only the current year roster counts against the cap. No more dead money.
agreed.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cap should be loose.

No reason a team can't buy its way out imo. Other than a few owners, like yours, who try to actually win, would cost fuckfaces, like the Fords money. Salary Caps are more profit floors than anything. "Forgiveness" should be available, while the player still gets his money.

Rosters should be bigger, contracts should be guarenteed, medical teams should not be by team, minor leagues should be professional, not money grubbing institutions pretending to be placed of higher learning.

Non guarenteed contracts are a joke. No idea why any proven player signs a deal with money they aren't guarenteed. Like a baseball player getting a no trade clause, somebody will give it to you.

It's impossible for a team to lose money right now.

just curious, why should the player get their money? Especially if they arent performing at the level expected. If i wasnt performing, or you werent performing you would get fired. But they should get paid millions? Using the baseball example there are guys long retired getting paid money, thats stilly

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just curious, why should the player get their money? Especially if they arent performing at the level expected. If i wasnt performing, or you werent performing you would get fired. But they should get paid millions? Using the baseball example there are guys long retired getting paid money, thats stilly
I partly agree here, but when players out perform thier deal they are locked in.
They could go with a severance package when released. 50% of their remaining contract is paid upon their release.
On the flip side for players demanding to be released they can pay back 50% of paid money from contract and become FAs. With this teams should be allowed to limit where players can go. Allow teams to takes a number of teams (6) out of play.
No wait here's a better idea, if a player demands to be released, he gets his release and what ever team signs him that team pays the losing team 50% of the money the player was paid to that point.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I partly agree here, but when players out perform thier deal they are locked in.
They could go with a severance package when released. 50% of their remaining contract is paid upon their release.
On the flip side for players demanding to be released they can pay back 50% of paid money from contract and become FAs. With this teams should be allowed to limit where players can go. Allow teams to takes a number of teams (6) out of play.
No wait here's a better idea, if a player demands to be released, he gets his release and what ever team signs him that team pays the losing team 50% of the money the player was paid to that point.
Again, what happens if u outperform your raise? Do u get another raise? Most don’t

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, what happens if u outperform your raise? Do u get another raise? Most don’t
Agree, but many are free to quit and sign with a competitor. Granted in some business companies have clauses where you can't work with certain other companies.

I think there has to be a way for the player to leave if he's unhappy yet still protect the team.

The compensation idea could work, because if a player demands his release and gets it, his options will be limited if the gaining team has to fork over cash. This cash will count against the CAP.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree. IM just stating, that yes their ability to make money in that field is much smaller than than say mine and your field. But league minimum is 480,00. Avg Us income is 56k. SO thats roughjly 8.5 years worth of avg income. If they manage their funds smartly they have a real head start on things. and the rest of the guys are wayyyyyyyyyyy ahead of the game as well. and well they had scholarships for careers given to them as well.

You're taking it in a different direction with this post.

I've had conversations with an ex-player whose made it and done well post football on the topic of the high % of financial failures in the NFL...I was thinking a lot like you are now...doing some quick math you'd think someone that makes $500k a yr for 3 yrs should not be broke 5 yrs after leaving the game.

Hearing it from a player perspective, I better understand.

1st thing...young people with a lot of money will blow said money. It's not a football player thing, young actors, young entertainers, young people with inheritance, it's just human nature they blow money. It's easy for you and I to say what we would do with $500k a yr now, but the reality is in my early 20s with a 6 figure bank account, I would've blown a lot of it as well.

For the avg rank and file player, you're basically dumping a lifetime of cash on them in 3 years. (Avg contract for a rank and file player is 3 yrs x $500k per per = $1.5 mil. Most of these players have never had that kind of cash and friends and family latch onto them to ensure they get a piece of the action.

Moderate lifestyle...he told me, and I kinda knew this already. Most of these players have worked very hard to reach the NFL and once they've made it, it's extremely difficult to tell a player they really should buy a Honda Accord instead of that 911 Porsche.

Those are all choices we make.

My point is the way the league is set up...there is a huge a disparity in income. They will never be able to stand up to the owners until they address how to fund the lower income players during the strike.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but many are free to quit and sign with a competitor. Granted in some business companies have clauses where you can't work with certain other companies.

I think there has to be a way for the player to leave if he's unhappy yet still protect the team.

The compensation idea could work, because if a player demands his release and gets it, his options will be limited if the gaining team has to fork over cash. This cash will count against the CAP.
Again , they unionized

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're taking it in a different direction with this post.

I've had conversations with an ex-player whose made it and done well post football on the topic of the high % of financial failures in the NFL...I was thinking a lot like you are now...doing some quick math you'd think someone that makes $500k a yr for 3 yrs should not be broke 5 yrs after leaving the game.

Hearing it from a player perspective, I better understand.

1st thing...young people with a lot of money will blow said money. It's not a football player thing, young actors, young entertainers, young people with inheritance, it's just human nature they blow money. It's easy for you and I to say what we would do with $500k a yr now, but the reality is in my early 20s with a 6 figure bank account, I would've blown a lot of it as well.

For the avg rank and file player, you're basically dumping a lifetime of cash on them in 3 years. (Avg contract for a rank and file player is 3 yrs x $500k per per = $1.5 mil. Most of these players have never had that kind of cash and friends and family latch onto them to ensure they get a piece of the action.

Moderate lifestyle...he told me, and I kinda knew this already. Most of these players have worked very hard to reach the NFL and once they've made it, it's extremely difficult to tell a player they really should buy a Honda Accord instead of that 911 Porsche.

Those are all choices we make.

My point is the way the league is set up...there is a huge a disparity in income. They will never be able to stand up to the owners until they address how to fund the lower income players during the strike.
Fair enough. I get it. But like u said I come back to the choices thing. But we can bicker about more
Important things like ab

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now about the next CBA. How hard will the players fight to approve Marijuana use over FA and Salary. I can see the league holding onto this nugget to sway the financial argument in their favor.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait a minute... people are expecting football players to WORK... a REGULAR JOB... AFTER their football careers?!?!?

Ok... you people have gone TOO far with this shit now!!!

Remember when they used to work regular jobs in the offseason during their careers?

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup, they were the ones that built these leagues so these guys could make millions a year.......And still complain.....
I've always thought today's players should fight harder for life after football, to include those who built the foundation they enjoy today.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always thought today's players should fight harder for life after football, to include those who built the foundation they enjoy today.
I guess that’s my point. U can argue lifestyle. But I’m supposed to be upset they didn’t plan and blew there money? Whether a star or back up