• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ESPN's Mike Sando's starting QB ranking

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never saw him when he played. Just my opinion on what I've heard, read and old film clips.

riggins was a work horse, Monk and i think Clark could catch everything and Rypien had the year. Hog D was there too. Kelly couldnt do anything. Throw in Joe Gibbs and wala

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
riggins was a work horse, Monk and i think Clark could catch everything and Rypien had the year. Hog D was there too. Kelly couldnt do anything. Throw in Joe Gibbs and wala

Football magic :10: :suds:

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were plenty of question marks surrounding Wilson that made it easy to see why he wasn't a 1st round pick. Some questioned his drive for the NFL as he for a long time and still somewhat had/has his eyes towards the MLB. You look at his college stats at both NC State and Wisconsin and although his first 3 years were good they weren't outstanding. His final year at Wisconsin he had an outstanding season but he also had a great OL and a RB that broke quite a few NCAA records. Yes his height was a concern and it still is some. There were times as the article points out that when Wilson is forced to stay in the pocket by teams with good Front-7's that he struggled some. He obviously does his best when the play breaks down and he is asked to improvise and run around.

Now for them ranking Wilson tied for 8th not exactly sure how this is the experts saying the Wilson is a horrible quarterback. I mean the top-4 guys most likely are HOF bound. The 5th guy is one of the most talked about kids coming out of college in years for his ability and for the most part has done a very good job living up to the hype on a very bad team. The 6th guy on the list finished top-5 in almost every category possible for a quarterback this past season and has been a top-5 guy most of his career. The 6th guy has 2 Super Bowl wins and although has had a couple of down years has had very little talent around him or if he did have talent it got injured.

You say there were "plenty of question marks." Go ahead and tell me what these question marks were.

Arm strength? No. He could throw 60-65 yards through the air in college and showed it consistently.
Deep ball accuracy? Hell no. The guy never missed an open receiver deep at Wisconsin.
Short accuracy? No.
Decision making? No.
Leadership? No.
Intangibles? No.
Production? No. He had the highest QB rating in NCAA history.
Clutchness? No. If anything, he scored too quickly at the end of the game.
Speed? No. He ran a 4.55 at the combine.
Elusivity? No, it's legendary.
Strength? No
Intelligence? No.

What are these question marks? That he was behind a good line and had a good RB? You don't need to lecture me about 2012 Wisconsin. That was my senior year. I went to 12 games in person. There are plenty of posts that I made during that year and the theme is clear. Russell was by far the best player on that team. I still think it's a travesty he didn't win the Heisman, and as great as Montee was, Russell was cleary the catalyst on that squad. What else do you have besides height?

Russell Wilson was the most complete draft prospect I've ever seen. The fact that he wasn't picked in the top 10 is a black eye on the competency of every GM in the league. This wasn't a case where he wasn't complete in college and he just emerged as a pro. He was the real deal in college and a bunch of idiot executives talked themselves out of the best QB of his generation. It was right there for all to see. I saw it. Many others on this site who weren't Wisconsin fans did as well. But the GMs didn't.

The fact they still insist Luck is better despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary just makes my day. Russell won the fucking Super Bowl and has the #2 QB Rating ever and they still can't admit they fucked up. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to just accept that Wilson is the 10th best QB because those same fools who ignored his greatness as a prospect are denying his greatness as a pro.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say there were "plenty of question marks." Go ahead and tell me what these question marks were.

Arm strength? No. He could throw 60-65 yards through the air in college and showed it consistently.
Deep ball accuracy? Hell no. The guy never missed an open receiver deep at Wisconsin.
Short accuracy? No.
Decision making? No.
Leadership? No.
Intangibles? No.
Strength? No
Intelligence? No.

What are these question marks? That he was behind a good line and had a good RB? You don't need to lecture me about 2012 Wisconsin. That was my senior year. I went to 12 games in person. There are plenty of posts that I made during that year and the theme is clear. Russell was by far the best player on that team. I still think it's a travesty he didn't win the Heisman, and as great as Montee was, Russell was cleary the catalyst on that squad. What else do you have besides height?

Russell Wilson was the most complete draft prospect I've ever seen. The fact that he wasn't picked in the top 10 is a black eye on the competency of every GM in the league. This wasn't a case where he wasn't complete in college and he just emerged as a pro. He was the real deal in college and a bunch of idiot executives talked themselves out of the best QB of his generation. It was right there for all to see. I saw it. Many others on this site who weren't Wisconsin fans did as well. But the GMs didn't.

The fact they still insist Luck is better despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary just makes my day. Russell won the fucking Super Bowl and has the #2 QB Rating ever and they still can't admit they fucked up. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to just accept that Wilson is the 10th best QB because those same fools who ignored his greatness as a prospect are denying his greatness as a pro.

2nd yr in is tough i watched the kid at NC state banging out Philip Rivers and wHISKY. He could be GOAT who knows but after 2 years too early. Be proud to have him as QB Oops just noticed Bears fan my bad

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Short accuracy? No.
Decision making? No.
Leadership? No.
Intangibles? No.
Strength? No
Intelligence? No.

Now that is some G.D. Passion....als please note hes a bears, wisky badgers fan, cause i know some idiot will start a seAhawks fan rant.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing from the pocket and height have been the two biggest question marks as they go hand in hand. GM's, scouts, coaches, and a whole host of others still have that question mark as again when he is forced to stay in the pocket all game he can struggle. On tape it has shown up that when in the pocket he has missed guys running wide open down the field and is forced to run out of the pocket to see. Now he still makes plenty of plays and is a very very good quarterback but again ranking him 8th or whatever shouldn't be considered an insult. The only guy ranked ahead of him that hasn't been in the league something like 8 years is that of Andrew Luck. My guess is if Wilson keeps playing the way he has he will make that top-5 list. Most of these guys have earned it with years of good play on the field. Again Luck being ahead of him yes could be very premature but then again he has been one of the most clutch players over the last 2 years and has taken a team with bottom-5 talent on it to the playoffs in both of his first 2 years.

Also again as I said I do think some questioned his drive to play football as baseball does seem to be his first love. He just couldn't quite make it offensively in baseball but honestly if both were equal I would bet he would choose baseball.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now that is some G.D. Passion....als please note hes a bears, wisky badgers fan, cause i know some idiot will start a seAhawks fan rant.

If your QB was Cutler, you'd be noticing other QBs play too... Not taking anything away from Wilson here, Just saying...:D

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson was the most complete draft prospect I've ever seen.

Seems that you are either an unusually astute judge of NFL draft prospects, since there were 74 players chosen ahead of Wilson in '12, or you are biased toward former Badgers. Seems to me that the success Wilson has had has been pretty surprising to most (non-Badgers) fans.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems that you are either an unusually astute judge of NFL draft prospects, since there were 74 players chosen ahead of Wilson in '12, or you are biased toward former Badgers. Seems to me that the success Wilson has had has been pretty surprising to most (non-Badgers) fans.

dont forget he only played there 1 year Nc State guy but could tell kid was special

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throwing from the pocket and height have been the two biggest question marks as they go hand in hand. GM's, scouts, coaches, and a whole host of others still have that question mark as again when he is forced to stay in the pocket all game he can struggle. On tape it has shown up that when in the pocket he has missed guys running wide open down the field and is forced to run out of the pocket to see. Now he still makes plenty of plays and is a very very good quarterback but again ranking him 8th or whatever shouldn't be considered an insult. The only guy ranked ahead of him that hasn't been in the league something like 8 years is that of Andrew Luck. My guess is if Wilson keeps playing the way he has he will make that top-5 list. Most of these guys have earned it with years of good play on the field. Again Luck being ahead of him yes could be very premature but then again he has been one of the most clutch players over the last 2 years and has taken a team with bottom-5 talent on it to the playoffs in both of his first 2 years.

Also again as I said I do think some questioned his drive to play football as baseball does seem to be his first love. He just couldn't quite make it offensively in baseball but honestly if both were equal I would bet he would choose baseball.

Who questions his drive to play football? Pretty uniformed people if you ask me. That's just a reach.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's talking predraft when there was a reasonable chance he might go into baseball instead, not his will as a competitor.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who questions his drive to play football? Pretty uniformed people if you ask me. That's just a reach.

Well in college he chose baseball over football when the coach at NC State told him he needed to choose. His career didn't work out and that was when he went to Wisconsin. So yes I would question it a little if I was a GM. Not enough to not draft the guy but it would bump him down just a bit. I want my quarterback to live and breath football and yes Wilson has become that now but for most of his life that wasn't the case.

I love Wilson as a player as I do think he is special and will be one of those great guys that I'm excited to have my kids look up to (hopefully not to the point that they become Seahawks fans though :suds:). I just think ranking him 8th in the league sounds about right for now. He has shown to be a clutch player that can do just about anything you would ask of a quarterback and is a guy you would want to be a face of your franchise for mostly all the right reasons (still wondering about his divorce and what happened there).

Now as for him being a college prospect yes he had mostly all that you were looking for (don't agree with Smart on Wilson's deep ball in college as it was a bit inconsistent but some of that could be especially in his year at Wisconsin just not having much time with the receivers to build timing). His height was a concern and yes I like some of these GM's do question as teams learn more and more of how to contain him in the pocket if that will cause issues for him as he like I said has struggled some with that but I expect him year in and year out to be a top-10 guy in the league. I don't expect Wilson to win any MVP's as that is not his style of game or that of the Seahawks but I do expect the Seahawks to be in it most years of Wilson's career for at least making the playoffs.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's talking predraft when there was a reasonable chance he might go into baseball instead, not his will as a competitor.

If there was a chance that he was going to play baseball instead of football he would have just gone after he left NCS. The fact that he went on to play out his eligibility Wisconsin pretty much proved that he was committed to football at that point and that he was prepping for the NFL.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there was a chance that he was going to play baseball instead of football he would have just gone after he left NCS. The fact that he went on to play out his eligibility Wisconsin pretty much proved that he was committed to football at that point and that he was prepping for the NFL.

He did go after he left NC State. He got drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 4th round and was trying to play both until the NC State coach came to him and said for him to choose one as it wasn't good for either for him to only be able to give half his time and energy. So Russell Wilson accepted the offer from the Rockies and went and started playing Class A baseball. He only played 32 games before he realized he could not make it as a baseball player like he wanted and that is when he decided to sign with the Badgers.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did go after he left NC State. He got drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the 4th round and was trying to play both until the NC State coach came to him and said for him to choose one as it wasn't good for either for him to only be able to give half his time and energy. So Russell Wilson accepted the offer from the Rockies and went and started playing Class A baseball. He only played 32 games before he realized he could not make it as a baseball player like he wanted and that is when he decided to sign with the Badgers.

OK, so let's say that he gave up baseball because he realized he would never hack....

I still dont understand questioning his commitment to football after his great year at Wisconsin.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so let's say that he gave up baseball because he realized he would never hack....

I still dont understand questioning his commitment to football after his great year at Wisconsin.

As a GM I am looking at when he was presented with a choice between the two of baseball and football he chose baseball. As a GM I would be thinking that shows that football really isn't his first love when it comes to sports. This is the Michael Jordan situation all over again where he loved baseball (partly because of his dad and the same for Russell Wilson) and one day just decided to hang it up to go pursue that dream again even if he is better at the other sport.

Again these players are being ripped apart during the drafting process so every little thing is scrutinized.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think every GM knew he was done with baseball. Lots of good athletes play a couple of sports, I don't think GMs look at that as a negative per say.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't about playing baseball; it was that football was a very visible second choice.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah early on in college. By the time the draft hit RW was all about being as good of a quarterback as he could be. I don't recall anyone talking about RW not being committed leading up to the draft.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't about playing baseball; it was that football was a very visible second choice.

Maybe so. But then it was a second choice that after it was over with baseball, he then went to a pro-style offense, hit the ground running, and had an awesome year. It should have been evident to anyone paying attention that he was working his ass off to get to the NFL.