• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Mike Sando's 2022 QB Tier

Do You Agree With Your Team's QB Rank?

• I agree With The Placement or Its Close Enough So I Can't Compalin

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No, Its Too Low.

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • No, Its Too High.

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think you could argue that they're all the same tier. Watson, Stafford, and Russ all being stuck on failing teams at some point.

When talking about the Rams, its hard to get around the fact that they have the best defensive player of this generation. Sean McVay as a coach has a career winning percentage of .681 in what might've been the toughest division in the NFL and made the Super Bowl with Jared Goff. I dont hate the idea of Stafford being tier 1 but I'd like to see him on the Rams for another year. With Wilson, its purely based on the idea that his best years are behind him. He also can prove himself this year. Watsons best years, in theory, are ahead of him. If he is allowed to play. And that guaranteed contract he got was just silly.
I'm biased because I watched Stafford beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl.... But, on that day, it was Stafford that created just enough offense to win that game. Yes, it helps to have Cooper.... But, McVay's Super Bowl offense was a bust. They couldn't run the ball for shit and McVay kept trying regardless. When he finally had to let Stafford cook a little, Stafford delivered. He through some insane passes in that late drive.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm biased because I watched Stafford beat the Bengals in the Super Bowl.... But, on that day, it was Stafford that created just enough offense to win that game. Yes, it helps to have Cooper.... But, McVay's Super Bowl offense was a bust. They couldn't run the ball for shit and McVay kept trying regardless. When he finally had to let Stafford cook a little, Stafford delivered. He through some insane passes in that late drive.
I do have Stafford ranked highly but he did only score 23 points. 23 points would have lost 9 games on the Chiefs last year.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do have Stafford ranked highly but he did only score 23 points. 23 points would have lost 9 games on the Chiefs last year.
Well, the Rams had a better defense than the Chiefs so there's that.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the only tier 1s I'd have are Mahomes, Rodgers, and Allen. Saying Burrow/Herbert are tier 1 is incredibly generous, imo.

Tier 1

Mahomes
Rodgers
Allen

Tier 2

Brady (Could argue he's still tier 1)
Burrow
Herbert
Watson
Jackson

Tier 3:

Wilson (could jump back into tier 2 for me)
Carr (lol @ the notion Carr is ever tier 2)
Stafford (Did we forget he has a track record?)
Murray (we gotta stop calling every QB with a pulse tier 2)
Prescott (same thing as Murray)
Cousins
Ryan (not tier 2 in the year of our lord 2022)
Tannehill
M. Jones
Hurts
Winston

Tier 4

Fields (I think he jumps into tier 3 this year)
Wentz (stop making Wentz a thing)
Goff (We've seen the movie before in LA, it's not that good)
Tua
Lawrence
Lance
Z. Wilson
Mayfield
Mills
Mariota

The rest not named

Tier 5

Lock
D. Jones
G. Smith
Darnold
Trubisky
I like your list other than Jackson in tier 2, he should be in 3.
At this point I would put Stafford and Wilson in tier 2.
Move Brady to Tier 1

That being said, those tiers could be split up more

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For such a good quarterback he sure comes off looking stupid. Lamar getd criticism because he has one career playoff win, same as Dak, same as Kirk Cousins. Kyler gets called for immature issues and playing bad down the stretch. Mahomes get nothing but love, the media talks about you non stop with love and appreciation. Calling you the best player in football. Rodgers has his sexuality questioned, and got plenty of criticism for last year's postseason performance. Guys like Herbert and Allen haven't been in the league long enough, if they don’t do enough in the postseason thry will get criticism.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For such a good quarterback he sure comes off looking stupid. Lamar getd criticism because he has one career playoff win, same as Dak, same as Kirk Cousins. Kyler gets called for immature issues and playing bad down the stretch. Mahomes get nothing but love, the media talks about you non stop with love and appreciation. Calling you the best player in football. Rodgers has his sexuality questioned, and got plenty of criticism for last year's postseason performance. Guys like Herbert and Allen haven't been in the league long enough, if they don’t do enough in the postseason thry will get criticism.

He is talking about how he got called a 1-read QB that doesn't know how to function if his main target is taken away and only survives because of his ability to scramble and throw it deep. I would agree compared to the other guys and the criticisms that many of them get thrown at them that this is small, but he still does have some questions about his game thrown around.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is talking about how he got called a 1-read QB that doesn't know how to function if his main target is taken away and only survives because of his ability to scramble and throw it deep. I would agree compared to the other guys and the criticisms that many of them get thrown at them that this is small, but he still does have some questions about his game thrown around.
I agree with that assessment about him

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree compared to the other guys and the criticisms that many of them get thrown at them that this is small, but he still does have some questions about his game thrown around.
Everyone does, welcome to the NFL. Act like you been here or grow up.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im not sure Mahomes is quite the right person to bring this up but the Chiefs OC certainly gets a lot shit. And Mahomes' family gets a lot of shit.

Mahomes himself is a victim of his own success. I'd agree that him and Rodgers are probably dealing with a lot of the same pressures and its unrelated to race. Mahomes has to prove himself this year because people are tired of talking about the Chiefs. Thats it.

Lamar, on the other hand, is dealing with the same stuff Vick was. I do think he is dealing with different issues about what a QB looks like. He is one more year of regression away from getting into a really ugly conversation imo.

Does Kyler Murray actually get more pressure than his head coach? Pretty sure if the Cards fail, its the coach that is getting fired and Murray stays.

FWIW, there was a story circulating recently that a DC thought Mahomes was just a one-read QB.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone does, welcome to the NFL. Act like you been here or grow up.
I'm not disagreeing here. These words coming from him ring hollow, but this is what every NFL player does of find the negative written about them and try to use it as motivation. Heck Brady even sometimes still talks about being a 6th round pick still motivates him. That was 20 years ago and he still thinks about it.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Josh Allen and Justin Herbert do not have racially charged narratives thrown at them every 10 seconds. Mahomes, Lamar, and Murray do. That's it, that's all Mahomes is saying when it comes down to it.

Meanwhile, we have mass coddling of QB's like Darnold, Zach Wilson, etc.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of a number of different stories questioning Mahomes football IQ, can he read defenses, just in the past 6 months.

No QB has graded higher per PFF past their first read. There literally hasn't been a QB better at it arguably, pound for pound. There's a reason why it keeps happening, and it's not just because RaiderNationliker69 (or any rival fanbase) or whatever dislikes the Chiefs and will grasp to anything anti-Mahomes.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meanwhile, we have mass coddling of QB's like Darnold, Zach Wilson, etc.
Do we? I dont know, I think the media spits out terrible QBs of all races.

Honestly, I think its a way bigger issue with coaches. And if Lamar Jackson does regress then I wonder if mobile rookie QB contracts need to be reworked.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can think of a number of different stories questioning Mahomes football IQ, can he read defenses, just in the past 6 months.
There always going to be ignorant media members, even former players themselves. Coaches as well, some coaches we know are coaching because who they know and they shouldn't be coaching. As far as the Mahomes, That is stupid criticism, he is not Vick or JaMarcus Russell. Those guys deserved the criticism for not putting the film work in. Ome dumb coach says something stupid doesn't equate to any real criticism. His praise far outweighs any criticism he gets. He could tetire after this season and still make the hall of fame.

Battlelyon

Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do we? I dont know, I think the media spits out terrible QBs of all races.

Honestly, I think its a way bigger issue with coaches. And if Lamar Jackson does regress then I wonder if mobile rookie QB contracts need to be reworked.
He wants to talk to someone about criticism, he can talk to Steve Young.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone think Geno Smith would get more criticism as a starting QB for the Seahawks than Drew Lock? I think they'd both be memes, tbh.

The upper end is different, though. Being elite means you're challenging nostalgia. You're challenging the old elite. And with QB, most of them are white and much of your audience is white. So its probably 'a thing' and the media knows it.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No QB has graded higher per PFF past their first read. There literally hasn't been a QB better at it arguably, pound for pound. There's a reason why it keeps happening, and it's not just because RaiderNationliker69 (or any rival fanbase) or whatever dislikes the Chiefs and will grasp to anything anti-Mahomes.
Honestly though Mahomes himself has said that Football IQ wise he struggles with certain things. Said his first few years he struggled to understand what defense was being throw at him on a play to play basis. So some of this is coming from Mahomes himself.

Now given all QB's early on have those struggles so I don't think that is anything that should surprise people.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There always going to be ignorant media members, even former players themselves. Coaches as well, some coaches we know are coaching because who they know and they shouldn't be coaching. As far as the Mahomes, That is stupid criticism, he is not Vick or JaMarcus Russell. Those guys deserved the criticism for not putting the film work in. Ome dumb coach says something stupid doesn't equate to any real criticism. His praise far outweighs any criticism he gets. He could tetire after this season and still make the hall of fame.
Ignorance is gonna be a thing. "SYSTEM QB Joe Montana!!! Tom Brady!!!

It's another when the criticism is one of the only QB's with positive EPA when moved off of his spot is somehow a streetball merchant that can't read defenses legitimately past his first read. There's a reason fans took a quote over reading defenses and took it to Mt. Everest to take it out of context. I don't think Mahomes is wrong for being a little sensitive over racist criticism. Racism isn't something you let slide, imo.

It's one thing if RaiderNationLiker69 does it for possibly just homer reasons, it's another when it's a coach, a media member, a blue checkmark, etc.