• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deshaun Watson may want out of Houston

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only the 2021 $5.4M pro-rata portion of the signing bonus would be on the line. The $17M bonus, (2023), and $20M salary for the same year don't become guaranteed until 2022. If he's on a roster with this contract in 2022 then those will become guaranteed regardless of any action he takes in 2021 - so that's not an issue. The CBA racks up substantial fines, up to 11/17ths of salary and all of the pro-rata signing bonus, but it stops at that point until the player misses any/all of the last 6 weeks of the season. (I haven't checked to see if this has changed in the latest CBA but I would be amazed if it had). The Texans could revoke the guarantee of Watson's $35M salary in 2022 but if they did that Watson would almost certainly sit out until Week 11 of the 2021 season and then go through the motions to stay safe, (to minimise the injury risk). The $35M salary would then become guaranteed in Week 1 of 2022, (assuming no injury). There's no realistic prospect of the Texans cutting Watson unless he was seriously injured so withdrawing the 2022 guarantee would be counter-productive.

Watson could still rack up fines of $6.82M + most/all of the $5.4M signing bonus very quickly, (certainly before the season started). If/when that happened there would be no reason for Watson to return before Week 11, (unless his team agreed to a contract re-write with weekly roster bonuses in 2021).

There's no financial 'win' scenario for Watson if he holds out. Financially he can only lose. If Watson sits out ALL of 2021 he will lose $15.94M. It comes down to whether Watson is serious about not returning to the Texans. If so the longer it takes to resolve the less he will be worth to other teams and the weaker the Texans trade position will be. After a year out he couldn't be worth as much as he is now.

All that said I don't think he sits out.
Wow. Awesome break down. Much appreciates. Thanks!:suds:

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only the 2021 $5.4M pro-rata portion of the signing bonus would be on the line. The $17M bonus, (2023), and $20M salary for the same year don't become guaranteed until 2022. If he's on a roster with this contract in 2022 then those will become guaranteed regardless of any action he takes in 2021 - so that's not an issue. The CBA racks up substantial fines, up to 11/17ths of salary and all of the pro-rata signing bonus, but it stops at that point until the player misses any/all of the last 6 weeks of the season. (I haven't checked to see if this has changed in the latest CBA but I would be amazed if it had). The Texans could revoke the guarantee of Watson's $35M salary in 2022 but if they did that Watson would almost certainly sit out until Week 11 of the 2021 season and then go through the motions to stay safe, (to minimise the injury risk). The $35M salary would then become guaranteed in Week 1 of 2022, (assuming no injury). There's no realistic prospect of the Texans cutting Watson unless he was seriously injured so withdrawing the 2022 guarantee would be counter-productive.

Watson could still rack up fines of $6.82M + most/all of the $5.4M signing bonus very quickly, (certainly before the season started). If/when that happened there would be no reason for Watson to return before Week 11, (unless his team agreed to a contract re-write with weekly roster bonuses in 2021).

There's no financial 'win' scenario for Watson if he holds out. Financially he can only lose. If Watson sits out ALL of 2021 he will lose $15.94M. It comes down to whether Watson is serious about not returning to the Texans. If so the longer it takes to resolve the less he will be worth to other teams and the weaker the Texans trade position will be. After a year out he couldn't be worth as much as he is now.

All that said I don't think he sits out.

Let him come back week 11, I wouldn't even start him, you might as well play for that higher pick.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, a lot of this Houston/watson chatter just seems like lazy reporting and looking for a team to rip on (which fans love).

Idea they wont listen to offers is absurd no matter what they say. This tactic could allow them to get a bigger return than simply saying, "sure we will bow to his wishes". also not sure you want any player to think just ask and he can be moved.

Jags said they would not move Jalen Ramsey "even for 5 first rounders" and were ripped for it. Still ended up with a nice haul - 2 first rounders and a 4th, I believe.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jags said they would not move Jalen Ramsey "even for 5 first rounders" and were ripped for it. Still ended up with a nice haul - 2 first rounders and a 4th, I believe.
Yeah, the Rams won that trade

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dolphins should have honored Kyle Van Noys contract.
The difference is per the CBA Watson must play for the team who owns his rights unless they choose to move him while a team can release a player as the Dolphins did with Van Noy.

That said, I have no issue with Watson asking to be traded.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difference is per the CBA Watson must play for the team who owns his rights unless they choose to move him while a team can release a player as the Dolphins did with Van Noy.

That said, I have no issue with Watson asking to be traded.
Yea I don’t care either way if a player is released or a player demands a trade. It’s just seems silly to me when people get mad about a player not honoring a contract but have no problem when the front office doesn’t honor the contract.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea I don’t care either way if a player is released or a player demands a trade. It’s just seems silly to me when people get mad about a player not honoring a contract but have no problem when the front office doesn’t honor the contract.
I get what you are saying, but the FO did honor his contract. They paid the signing bonus which they are required to pay.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what you are saying, but the FO did honor his contract. They paid the signing bonus which they are required to pay.
Oh yea that’s my bad I thought the Dolphins signed him to a 4 year deal

Poogie25

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans hold his right and literally can do what they want. Deshaun signed an extension in Sept 2020. Team has a losing record he wants out 3-4 months later. This is like saying "I do" then 3-4 days later wanting a divorce.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deshaun Watson is/was the FRANCHISE player and once in lifetime talent. Kyle Van Noy is replacable big difference no comparison.
There’s no comparison in what? All I’m saying is it’s silly to get mad at players for wanting out, but teams cut players at a drop of a hat all the time :noidea:

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans hold his right and literally can do what they want. Deshaun signed an extension in Sept 2020. Team has a losing record he wants out 3-4 months later. This is like saying "I do" then 3-4 days later wanting a divorce.
No it’s like getting married then after a year realizing it’s not going to work out and wanting a divorce.
The first part was spot on though

Poogie25

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There’s no comparison in what? All I’m saying is it’s silly to get mad at players for wanting out, but teams cut players at a drop of a hat all the time :noidea:
Deshaun Watson is Top 5?One of best QB's in game. He can request a trade all he wants but Texans hold his rights.You are comparing a player who is CUT to a player who wants to be TRADED. Deshaun isnt going to be released like Van Noy.

Poogie25

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it’s like getting married then after a year realizing it’s not going to work out and wanting a divorce.
The first part was spot on though
I see your point.Texans bring in a GM who helped build the Patriots,they also brought in a coach who helped Lamar Jackson. Texans arent a bad franchise they made bonehead decisions. Deshaun is being a brat period. He does have right to request trade but NFL isnt like the NBA.

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deshaun Watson is Top 5?One of best QB's in game. He can request a trade all he wants but Texans hold his rights.You are comparing a player who is CUT to a player who wants to be TRADED. Deshaun isnt going to be released like Van Noy.
Yes I don’t think you are understanding where I’m coming from though, nothing you just said is wrong

Tapey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point.Texans bring in a GM who helped build the Patriots,they also brought in a coach who helped Lamar Jackson. Texans arent a bad franchise they made bonehead decisions. Deshaun is being a brat period. He does have right to request trade but NFL isnt like the NBA.
Idk if he will be traded or not but I also don’t understand the huge uproar against him. He can choose to hold out all he wants just as a franchise can choose to release players all they want.