• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

After the Stafford/Goff Trade, Where Does Watson Go?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting price for Houston:

2 1st’s, 2 2nd’s and 2 defensive starters for Watson

Hard pass

Jets offer 3 first rounders, one of which is the #2 pick, another a potential top 10 pick next season

that’s my final offer, if they push me, I’ll include a 2nd rounder

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like if the Colts are thinking about Darnold then instead they should just draft a QB. Sam Darnold is a trap. If they plays ok on a team that has playoff talent then at some point you have to give Darnold a big contract and then the Colts will have to pay their young players. Thats a road to nowhere.

The Matt Ryan thing actually makes a lot of sense to me unless the Colts think they can draft someone.

I’ve seen mocks that have the Falcons taking a QB, but probably more mocks that have them taking Sewell

so I guess their plan with Ryan is anyone’s guess

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets honestly can do that as long as it's not involving Quinnen Williams.
Maybe they would include Williams (even though I don’t think they will) for a lower asking price on picks. They would still have possibly two more years of him but maybe they don’t want to pay him big money when he is up for a contract. It’s the Jets, who knows.

The problem is the Jets don’t really have anything worth asking for on their defense besides Williams

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe they would include Williams (even though I don’t think they will) for a lower asking price on picks. They would still have possibly two more years of him but maybe they don’t want to pay him big money when he is up for a contract. It’s the Jets, who knows.

The problem is the Jets don’t really have anything worth asking for on their defense besides Williams

Texans just went 4-12 with Watson

if the Jets have to surrender all their talent, why are they better than the Texans

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston doesn't have much leverage in this because of the no trade clause and Watson can say fuck you I'm not playing and sit out

The NFL completely changed the rules on how much it costs a player to hold out.

There is a new clause in the CBA that fines a player on his 2nd contract “substantially more than $40k per day”. And that fine is not allowed to be waived by the team after the player returns. But it doesn’t define what substantially means.

Well training camp and preseason is 47 days long. 47 x $40k = $1.88m. What is substantially more than $1.88 million?

Then you get into the season and he starts to forfeit a game check....while all the time paying the same amount per day fine. Long and short that if Watson held out for a full season, he would likely owe more money in fines than he has made in his entire career at this point especially when you consider the Texans can go after his signing bonus if he doesn't show up. And those fines are not waivable. He has to pay them out of his own pocket.

This isn't a Bell situation who isn't under contract with a tag. He is under contract to play. And the NFL made the new holdout rules strict enough that you aren't going to see a player like Watson hold out.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who ever gets him they will be giving up a TON in order to get him after Stafford trade.

Patriots - Absolutely no way after what Stafford got
Dolphins - I could see them doing it. They aren't sold on Tua
Jets - This is where he will end up... Darnold might get traded to the Patriots :mad2::mad2:

The Jet's and Dolphins were now after the Stafford trade and before it the only two teams that had the capital to make a move for Watson.

The simple fact that the #2 or #3 overall pick is worth more than let's say the Bears 1st round this year, next year and the following year always made it that way.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texans just went 4-12 with Watson

if the Jets have to surrender all their talent, why are they better than the Texans
The thing is I don’t think they have much talent in the first place. It’s why there is no reason for them to make this trade

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I tend to think Houston won't trade him this offseason and test his resolve by seeing if he'll really holdout.

If they are going to move him this offseason it'll have to be before the draft or you might as well wait until next offseason to unload him if sticks to his guns.

It doesn't help that a lot of the teams that have the valuable draft capital are teams with defensive head coaches who are typically less likely to want to spend a ton of draft picks on a QB that could be used to build their defense and rosters in other areas.

I'd be more confident in saying they won't trade him if they weren't in such a mess in terms of draft capital and the salary cap. So it's possible they'll realize Watson isn't planning on budging and figure it's best to begin the rebuild now instead of waiting a year to really start it.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to think Houston won't trade him this offseason and test his resolve by seeing if he'll really holdout.

If they are going to move him this offseason it'll have to be before the draft or you might as well wait until next offseason to unload him if sticks to his guns.

It doesn't help that a lot of the teams that have the valuable draft capital are teams with defensive head coaches who are typically less likely to want to spend a ton of draft picks on a QB that could be used to build their defense and rosters in other areas.

I'd be more confident in saying they won't trade him if they weren't in such a mess in terms of draft capital and the salary cap. So it's possible they'll realize Watson isn't planning on budging and figure it's best to begin the rebuild now instead of waiting a year to really start it.
Like any other disgruntled star, it won't matter, Watson will hold out to prove his point, he wants out just like Watt. Star, top 5 player who says he is not playing for said team will get his way. He is not coming back. As soon as the Texans understand this, he will be moved, weather that is today, tomorrow, next week, next month or in a few months. The longer they wait, the value decreases to move him. Might as well engage and see who has what to offer. Or, the Texans can play hard ball, sit on their hands and wait Watson out and likely fine him. Now that would be a devastating move to the organization because, he will not play and your return trade package will be nill.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL completely changed the rules on how much it costs a player to hold out.

There is a new clause in the CBA that fines a player on his 2nd contract “substantially more than $40k per day”. And that fine is not allowed to be waived by the team after the player returns. But it doesn’t define what substantially means.

Well training camp and preseason is 47 days long. 47 x $40k = $1.88m. What is substantially more than $1.88 million?

Then you get into the season and he starts to forfeit a game check....while all the time paying the same amount per day fine. Long and short that if Watson held out for a full season, he would likely owe more money in fines than he has made in his entire career at this point especially when you consider the Texans can go after his signing bonus if he doesn't show up. And those fines are not waivable. He has to pay them out of his own pocket.

This isn't a Bell situation who isn't under contract with a tag. He is under contract to play. And the NFL made the new holdout rules strict enough that you aren't going to see a player like Watson hold out.
Is the new CBA or can’t the organization start going after their signing bonus? Fines suck and all but having to give back guaranteed money was the killer when Kam Chancellor held out in Seattle.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like any other disgruntled star, it won't matter, Watson will hold out to prove his point, he wants out just like Watt. Star, top 5 player who says he is not playing for said team will get his way. He is not coming back. As soon as the Texans understand this, he will be moved, weather that is today, tomorrow, next week, next month or in a few months. The longer they wait, the value decreases to move him. Might as well engage and see who has what to offer. Or, the Texans can play hard ball, sit on their hands and wait Watson out and likely fine him. Now that would be a devastating move to the organization because, he will not play and your return trade package will be nill.

Houston cant trade him after the draft is held. They can't. You can't settle for just 1st round picks of a team that now has Watson as it's QB.

He either gets moved before this draft.....or he wont be traded until next offseason.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Houston cant trade him after the draft is held. They can't. You can't settle for just 1st round picks of a team that now has Watson as it's QB.

He either gets moved before this draft.....or he wont be traded until next offseason.
No reason they couldn't trade him for good players or good players and picks after the draft. Means they would have to wait for the picks, but saves them a ton of dead money and cap space.