• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Deshaun Watson may want out of Houston

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh at fans saying the Texans are holding him hostage, why sign an extension after they trsde Hopkins?
a legendary christmas preach GIF by NBC

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fine. Hit him with the 180K per day fine until he comes back if he wants to play that game. Take back his signing bonus.
Just missing mini camp could be costly.

Under Article 42, Section 1(ix) of the CBA, a player who skips one day of a mandatory minicamp may be fined up to $10,500. If he skips a second day, another $21,000 fine may be imposed. By completing the trifecta, a maximum additional fine of $31,500 may be assessed, bringing the total possible fine to $63,000.

Chicken fee for the rich players you say? Then consider this:

On top of that, a player could be subject to a partial forfeiture of certain bonuses, a waiver of any remaining guarantees in his contract, and other enhanced penalties authorized by the new CBA.

Not to mention his game day check is like a million dollars for each game and if he missed many he may have to return some of the cash he already has.

Texans aren't winning many games with or without Watson, so let him sit out. If I was the owner I'd be hoping he sits out. Save a whole lot of coin, better draft picks for the following year and establish which party is holding the cards.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just missing mini camp could be costly.

Under Article 42, Section 1(ix) of the CBA, a player who skips one day of a mandatory minicamp may be fined up to $10,500. If he skips a second day, another $21,000 fine may be imposed. By completing the trifecta, a maximum additional fine of $31,500 may be assessed, bringing the total possible fine to $63,000.

Chicken fee for the rich players you say? Then consider this:

On top of that, a player could be subject to a partial forfeiture of certain bonuses, a waiver of any remaining guarantees in his contract, and other enhanced penalties authorized by the new CBA.

Not to mention his game day check is like a million dollars for each game and if he missed many he may have to return some of the cash he already has.

Texans aren't winning many games with or without Watson, so let him sit out. If I was the owner I'd be hoping he sits out. Save a whole lot of coin, better draft picks for the following year and establish which party is holding the cards.
So am I computing this correctly....

Training camps are 7/8 days Lets say 8........then 180k a day of camp? is that correct? so 8x180=1,440,000
then 63k possible for OTA's............

additionally he puts his 27 million signing bonus at risk...............

and his 17 million 2022 roster bonus at risk............

plus his game checks are about 658 k

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. They didn't put a gun to his head to sign the second richest contract ever by a QB.
right? i guess some of the thing is he has "promised" things would go a certain way, i would assume in exchange for signing that contract and sticking around. Granted he was well compensated, but yeah.......Then things didnt go as promised, and hes mad. Get that crap in writing

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Training camps are 7/8 days Lets say 8........then 180k a day of camp? is that correct? so 8x180=1,440,000

He's be losing wealth at a incredible clip. In the meantime the Texans would be pocketing the savings, blaming losses on his hold out and getting better draft position next year. Kind of sweet deal for Texans if he holds out TBH.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's be losing wealth at a incredible clip. In the meantime the Texans would be pocketing the savings, blaming losses on his hold out and getting better draft position next year. Kind of sweet deal for Texans if he holds out TBH.
Yep. I agree. No team ever ends up making the player honor the contract so would be a first. Guess the steelers did with bell. Thats really inly example i know of.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
right? i guess some of the thing is he has "promised" things would go a certain way, i would assume in exchange for signing that contract and sticking around. Granted he was well compensated, but yeah.......Then things didnt go as promised, and hes mad. Get that crap in writing

Having players as defacto GMs rarely works out.

The Timberwolves kowtowed to Kevin Garnett's wishes way too much and signed a bunch of his friends. The problem is, none of them were good players and he wasn't able to carry them past the first round of the playoffs until they brought Cassell and Sprewell in.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I laugh at fans saying the Texans are holding him hostage, why sign an extension after they trsde Hopkins?
They aren’t holding him hostage they will be holding their franchise hostage if they would rather fine him then trade him. Plain and simple. Either way, do you want a guy that doesn’t want to play for your franchise anymore? No way, if you hold out, his value drops AND you think future players want to play for this franchise. It’s not right but it’s how shit works. Trade him and get full value for him and stop pussyfooting around. If they want to prove a point but sitting and fining him then releasing him or trading him for less...that is just stupid but the Texans are such a shit franchise I wouldn’t rule it out lol

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They aren’t holding him hostage they will be holding their franchise hostage if they would rather fine him then trade him. Plain and simple. Either way, do you want a guy that doesn’t want to play for your franchise anymore? No way, if you hold out, his value drops AND you think future players want to play for this franchise. It’s not right but it’s how shit works. Trade him and get full value for him and stop pussyfooting around. If they want to prove a point but sitting and fining him then releasing him or trading him for less...that is just stupid but the Texans are such a shit franchise I wouldn’t rule it out lol
Man. I agree, and i disagree. He signed the contract. No one Made him. Would you be afforded this luxury, under contract?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No. Even with an incompetent agent very little of that would be on the line.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No NFL player has ever wanted out of a contract 100 days after signing it.

If he really wants out, have him kick in 15, 20 million to his own trade so more teams can afford him.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Listen to this guy ...he posted this after he signed his extension in September 2020.
In just 100 hundred days later he throws a 2 year old temper tantrum and wants out because he wants a say in front office hires.

You can't go to these extremes in such a short time unless you are an irrational drama queen.

And now he says "loyalty is everything" .....You were paid, and your teammates are counting on you. But you want to take your ball and go home
and then talk about loyalty? ....is there a pool for the next great locker room cancer? I want in.

EvFlGzlXMAEYVvq

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explain...
Only the 2021 $5.4M pro-rata portion of the signing bonus would be on the line. The $17M bonus, (2023), and $20M salary for the same year don't become guaranteed until 2022. If he's on a roster with this contract in 2022 then those will become guaranteed regardless of any action he takes in 2021 - so that's not an issue. The CBA racks up substantial fines, up to 11/17ths of salary and all of the pro-rata signing bonus, but it stops at that point until the player misses any/all of the last 6 weeks of the season. (I haven't checked to see if this has changed in the latest CBA but I would be amazed if it had). The Texans could revoke the guarantee of Watson's $35M salary in 2022 but if they did that Watson would almost certainly sit out until Week 11 of the 2021 season and then go through the motions to stay safe, (to minimise the injury risk). The $35M salary would then become guaranteed in Week 1 of 2022, (assuming no injury). There's no realistic prospect of the Texans cutting Watson unless he was seriously injured so withdrawing the 2022 guarantee would be counter-productive.

Watson could still rack up fines of $6.82M + most/all of the $5.4M signing bonus very quickly, (certainly before the season started). If/when that happened there would be no reason for Watson to return before Week 11, (unless his team agreed to a contract re-write with weekly roster bonuses in 2021).

There's no financial 'win' scenario for Watson if he holds out. Financially he can only lose. If Watson sits out ALL of 2021 he will lose $15.94M. It comes down to whether Watson is serious about not returning to the Texans. If so the longer it takes to resolve the less he will be worth to other teams and the weaker the Texans trade position will be. After a year out he couldn't be worth as much as he is now.

All that said I don't think he sits out.