• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chargers to announce they're moving to LA tomorrow

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's crazy how much money these NFL teams benefit from tax dollars... But even then they can still just up and attempt to relocate... It can happen to any franchise, all it takes is an owner who doesn't care.. It's inevitable that all teams have new ownership at some point in time, no franchise is totally safe the way it's set up..

That's true...the league in most cases really don't like to see teams move, the relocation fee is pretty hefty, I've heard as much as $600mil. With a couple of exceptions it's rare a team moves from a market that's supporting the team....CLE, BAL were notable cities that lost teams while supporting them pretty well. Even the Sonics to change sports...in almost all cases it involves a stadium.

IMO...all owners should be required to fork over at least 50% of the cost and share the parking and concessions. If they're not willing to go that far, then they really don't need to be owners in this day and age.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were negotiating on behalf of the Chargers, I would want title transfer after the city's $$$ are paid back and then a negotiated amount of no charge" venue dates for the city after that.

I'm no lawyer, but isn't that basically giving the Chargers the stadium and profits off events?

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm no lawyer, but isn't that basically giving the Chargers the stadium and profits off events?
I guess all things are negotiable. The position is that the Chargers should own the stadium outright after the city's investment has been paid off, then an arrangement where the city gets to use the stadium rent free for some venues in order to generate some profits for themselves. The city also gets all the ancillary benefits that go with having a major league sports team. Just bashing it about but it's all negotiable not that my opinion is worth jack shit in this regard.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess all things are negotiable. The position is that the Chargers should own the stadium outright after the city's investment has been paid off, then an arrangement where the city gets to use the stadium rent free for some venues in order to generate some profits for themselves. The city also gets all the ancillary benefits that go with having a major league sports team. Just bashing it about but it's all negotiable not that my opinion is worth jack shit in this regard.

Everything is negotiable, and I'm not familiar with San Diego, but it seems a public/private venture is the best way to do it where both somehow split revenue. The city owning the building leads to politics screwing it up (Seattle) and the franchise fully owning it leads to a hostage situation when whoever owns the team next wants out of that arrangement.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be upset, but truthfully dude, you really don't know. The last time there was a football team in Los Angeles besides the market being different, so was television, Cable tv, the internet didn't exist and even the marketing. If the Chargers produce a good product, there is rooms for two teams. I personally think two teams in any major league sports in one city is silly, but they will be okay

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everything is negotiable, and I'm not familiar with San Diego, but it seems a public/private venture is the best way to do it where both somehow split revenue. The city owning the building leads to politics screwing it up (Seattle) and the franchise fully owning it leads to a hostage situation when whoever owns the team next wants out of that arrangement.
They are saying that the Chargers simply did not have the financing to build a new stadium. Now they acted like the city had not offered anything, so I'm not convinced they were 100% correct, but I do know that after 16 years of trying to put together a new stadium deal without a credible amount of progress, the deal to move into Inglewood is pretty much a no brainer

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You might be upset, but truthfully dude, you really don't know. The last time there was a football team in Los Angeles besides the market being different, so was television, Cable tv, the internet didn't exist and even the marketing. If the Chargers produce a good product, there is rooms for two teams. I personally think two teams in any major league sports in one city is silly, but they will be okay
la had a team this year in case you forgot......

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all are really stupid if you think that - Just saying - Los Angeles had two football teams that both made a profit before.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
la had a team this year in case you forgot......
Yes and they did well - Al Davis simply got a better deal to go back. In case you haven't notice - both teams are getting something they didn't get 20 years ago - A Brand new state of the art stadium. There has been a huge market and fans chomping their teeth for a team for decades now - they will be successful at first. After that it will up to them to start winning games and be competitive. St Louis was without team 20 years ago as well, so that argument fails

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since nobody is paying either one of us for our collective negot. genius, I vote for: :suds:

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far from what very little I have heard, the Chargers don't have the funds or financing for a new stadium even with the City's offer - It would be the same if a car dealer called and offered you a new car at $400 per month. If you don't the money - it's not a good deal for you even at zero percent financing

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So far from what very little I have heard, the Chargers don't have the funds or financing for a new stadium even with the City's offer - It would be the same if a car dealer called and offered you a new car at $400 per month. If you don't the money - it's not a good deal for you even at zero percent financing

Huge difference is, if someone called you wanted $400 a month for something you don't have a million lenders out there willing to help you. Spanos could easily come up with the money if he willing to give off shares or stakes of ownership.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The landlord has chimed in...

C2AwctVXAAAsQ5A

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge difference is, if someone called you wanted $400 a month for something you don't have a million lenders out there willing to help you. Spanos could easily come up with the money if he willing to give off shares or stakes of ownership.
Well, the news is saying he did not have the financing - but either way - it sounds like to me that he determined LA was a better deal. There is a market for football and he doesn't have to go deep into debt to build a stadium to do it. San Diego Fans from what I am saying is running around saying "We offered them $450 million dollars but the cost I have seen is topping 1 billion dollars. The other thing he could have done was bring in a partner like Jerry Buss did when they built Staples.

On the other hand, The city can tear down the stadium, build a basketball stadium and bring in a NBA team for half of the cost according to some.

TP76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The landlord has chimed in...

C2AwctVXAAAsQ5A
Spanos will be paying $550mil over ten years to move and he gets an email? LOL I guess he gets some of his own medicine since he said goodbye to San Diego Charger fans with a letter (chicken shit!)

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 Big Thing: SVP not a fan of team relocations - ESPN Video

Scott Van Pelt hit it on the nose. It was always about the money. Spanos always knew that regardless of what the city of San Diego did for him, his franchise would be worth far more in LA. That's why he was so difficult to get to the table, and that's why he put together a half ass initiative he knew would fail. The guy is simply a greedy bag of human waste.