• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Chargers to announce they're moving to LA tomorrow

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read. As I've said before and wil say again, he had plenty of opportunities to stay. He puts higher profits over 56 years of history and a fanbase that loves that team, regardless of him being a complete lump of shit, and regardless of their performance.

Hopefully SD has set a trend, but while we're still burning jerseys, the state of Nevada is forking over 750 million to the Raiders.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the writer expects Spanos to sell off part of his ownership stake to fund a stadium? What owner in the NFL is going to do that?
It's one idea, and it's not uncommon for shares of teams to be sold. Remember that part of his Carson deal involved giving Bob Iger a share of the team.

Let me simplify it. He turned down $300 million from the NFL and $400 million from San Diego to move and pay a $650 million relocation fee. There's $1.35 billion for a stadium right there. Yet he chose to move and doesn't even get his own stadium!

Franchise doubled in value with the move. That is why he moved. Period. Maybe you'll agree more with this article...

http://deadspin.com/no-one-wants-you-dean-spanos-1791110519

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't argue that he's a hugely unpopular owner, and this move cements that. But when laying out money for a new stadium, what you get in return is going to play a huge part in the decision. If he pays out $650M to move to LA and ends up ahead of where he would be paying $650M towards a stadium in San Diego, it's a move most billionaires will make. They got that rich by making sound financial decisions.

I love San Diego, lived there for about 5 months about 18 years ago. Job I moved for dried up, so ended up moving back to NY for another opportunity, otherwise I would most likely still be there. I prefer the more suburban feel of San Diego to the city sprawl of LA, and the weather can't be much better.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Diego has the best weather of any us city.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't argue that he's a hugely unpopular owner, and this move cements that. But when laying out money for a new stadium, what you get in return is going to play a huge part in the decision. If he pays out $650M to move to LA and ends up ahead of where he would be paying $650M towards a stadium in San Diego, it's a move most billionaires will make. They got that rich by making sound financial decisions.

I love San Diego, lived there for about 5 months about 18 years ago. Job I moved for dried up, so ended up moving back to NY for another opportunity, otherwise I would most likely still be there. I prefer the more suburban feel of San Diego to the city sprawl of LA, and the weather can't be much better.
Exactly. And that's all I'm arguing. It was only about maximizing his profits. That's all it's ever been about. Same reason Kroenke shunned $450 million in STL and headed west. Where he's completely full of shit is when he says he couldn't have survived in SD. That's a load of shit. He would have made a shitload here. He'll just make significantly more in LA.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. And that's all I'm arguing. It was only about maximizing his profits. That's all it's ever been about. Same reason Kroenke shunned $450 million in STL and headed west. Where he's completely full of shit is when he says he couldn't have survived in SD. That's a load of shit. He would have made a shitload here. He'll just make significantly more in LA.

I'm not sure why we get angry when billionaire businessmen make decisions in their better financial interest.

Of course, San Diego is getting a rougher deal here than St Louis (who got the Rams with a ridiculous deal that they couldn't possibly live up to), but the team is also only moving 120 miles up the coast; fans can still easily travel to see games. Unless you're a former season ticket holder, what really is being lost here?

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why we get angry when billionaire businessmen make decisions in their better financial interest.

Of course, San Diego is getting a rougher deal here than St Louis (who got the Rams with a ridiculous deal that they couldn't possibly live up to), but the team is also only moving 120 miles up the coast; fans can still easily travel to see games. Unless you're a former season ticket holder, what really is being lost here?
Any billionaire can do what he want with his business. But you're oversimplifying. This isn't a typical business. If Qualcomm picked up and moved to LA you wouldn't have people crying and smashing their cell phones in the streets. Being a sports fan carries a lot of emotion, and a lot of time and financial investment by the customers of that business. Having the city's name attached to it is a source of civic pride. San Diego is my city. LA is not. I never cheered for the Chargers because I liked the team or the jerseys. I adopted them because they were my hometown team. LA is not my hometown. It's so much about civic pride for me that even though I've spent 36 years hating the Raiders, I would be in a store buying their gear if they announced they were moving to San Diego. Yeah I have a B-team in the Steelers. I have family there. My Dad was born and raised there. I love their brand of football and they're owned by one of the classiest families in sports. I'll cheer for them, but not with even a tiny fraction of the energy I put into the San Diego Chargers.

Dean Spanos thinks he can piss all over his most loyal customers and get new customers. He may succeed, he may not. But if Apple moved to Texas tomorrow I'm sure a lot of people in the the bay area would keep their iPhones. Big differences.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Revamped logo :pound:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I heard a decent argument about this on local SD radio last night.

If the LA Chargers were to win the SB, their parade now would be in downtown LA, not in San Diego. SD has been behind thus team for decades with just one SB loss to its name. Now, any potential payoff will be celebrated elsewhere.

This is why the Niners move, while similar (moving about 65 miles south) is different. If the Niners were to win, their parade would not be in Santa Clara or San Jose. It would be in San Francisco.

I have been fascinated with the concept of fandom and city identity for some time. I am a huge SF Giants fan, but I live in San Diego. And I cannot say with 100% confidence that I would still be a Giants fan if they were to move to another city (except maybe San Diego). And I can't explain my stance on this. It makes no sense.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard a decent argument about this on local SD radio last night.

If the LA Chargers were to win the SB, their parade now would be in downtown LA, not in San Diego. SD has been behind thus team for decades with just one SB loss to its name. Now, any potential payoff will be celebrated elsewhere.

This is why the Niners move, while similar (moving about 65 miles south) is different. If the Niners were to win, their parade would not be in Santa Clara or San Jose. It would be in San Francisco.

I have been fascinated with the concept of fandom and city identity for some time. I am a huge SF Giants fan, but I live in San Diego. And I cannot say with 100% confidence that I would still be a Giants fan if they were to move to another city (except maybe San Diego). And I can't explain my stance on this. It makes no sense.
I want them to lose every game now, but now that you brought this up how funny would it be to see them win the Super Bowl next year and have a parade on empty streets? Win win for me I guess, lol.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nevermind the city of San Diego Dean. Nevermind the fans that have poured their lives into your team and spent thousands on tix and merchandise. Let's worry about your feelings. What a piece of shit.