• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The Long-Term Mistake They're Making!

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run all you want but why would I spend a first on Bijan when I can get Pacheco in the seventh. Either way, the shelf life expires with the rookie contract.
I just stated a fact,not advocated a pick.pull your panties out your crack.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is exactly what I said…that is where I got my info.
That's not what you said at all. and you're purposely underplaying the numbers.

No…I am stating just because you extend in year 3, doesn’t mean you only get three years of cheap service. As a matter of fact, you get extended years of cheap service by comparison. Herbert will only count 37 million to their 2025 cap.

Herberts' first three years cost the organization $6,644,689, per year his fourth year cost them $8,458,176 and that's where "cheap" ended relative to rookie contracts. Signing and Option bonuses are prorated and count against the cap. This means the extension which included a $50,6M in 2024 which was paid out on 3/22/24 and prorated will jump his cap hit from those first three earlier $6+M and year four $8+M to $19,345,675 by comparison. That's a big jump in that it triples the first three years of his rookie contract and more than doubles his year-four cap hit.

Look at your post and you'll also see that you wrote "Herbert will only count 37 million to their 2025 cap." Your notion of "relatively cheap" is a nice play on words but it doesn't stand up against comparatively cheap in real numbers.

The prime window was years 1, 2, 3, and to a lesser degree year 4. This year the Chargers released Mike Williams out of necessity. The Chargers entered Wednesday, March 13th projected to be $27.8 million over the salary cap for 2024, per OverTheCap.com, and Los Angeles had to comply with the NFL's $255.4 million budget by 4 p.m. ET, the official start of the 2024 league year. They were loaded with weapons such as Williams, and Keenan Allen, and with their departures, the early window for success is now CLOSED!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not what you said at all. and you're purposely underplaying the numbers.

Herberts' first three years cost the organization $6,644,689, per year his fourth year cost them $8,458,176 and that's where "cheap" ended relative to rookie contracts. Signing and Option bonuses are prorated and count against the cap. This means the extension which included a $50,6M in 2024 which was paid out on 3/22/24 and prorated will jump his cap hit from those first three earlier $6+M and year four $8+M to $19,345,675 by comparison. That's a big jump in that it triples the first three years of his rookie contract and more than doubles his year-four cap hit.

Look at your post and you'll also see that you wrote "Herbert will only count 37 million to their 2025 cap." Your notion of "relatively cheap" is a nice play on words but it doesn't stand up against comparatively cheap in real numbers.

The prime window was years 1, 2, 3, and to a lesser degree year 4. This year the Chargers released Mike Williams out of necessity. The Chargers entered Wednesday, March 13th projected to be $27.8 million over the salary cap for 2024, per OverTheCap.com, and Los Angeles had to comply with the NFL's $255.4 million budget by 4 p.m. ET, the official start of the 2024 league year. They were loaded with weapons such as Williams, and Keenan Allen, and with their departures, the early window for success is now CLOSED!

Post #2 this thread…”Justin Herbert signed his extension and in year four counted 8.5 mil against the cap. Even this season, he will count less than 20 million against the cap, year 5.”

Post 15…”No…I am stating just because you extend in year 3, doesn’t mean you only get three years of cheap service. As a matter of fact, you get extended years of cheap service by comparison. Herbert will only count 37 million to their 2025 cap.”

Well, year 4 is where rookie contracts end. There is a fifth year option in 2024 would have cost 24 million and Herbert is making less than that through the extension in 2024…at least for cap purposes.

You seem to be missing my point about 2025. Had the Chargers waited until 2025 to extend Herbert, they would be looking at 60 mil cap hit per season.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems to me that $19 million for a good 5th year QB is a bargain. In looking at his contract it goes up roughly $13 million per year which cap increases would cover.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Post #2 this thread…”Justin Herbert signed his extension and in year four counted 8.5 mil against the cap. Even this season, he will count less than 20 million against the cap, year 5.”

Post 15…”No…I am stating just because you extend in year 3, doesn’t mean you only get three years of cheap service. As a matter of fact, you get extended years of cheap service by comparison. Herbert will only count 37 million to their 2025 cap.”

Well, year 4 is where rookie contracts end. There is a fifth year option in 2024 would have cost 24 million and Herbert is making less than that through the extension in 2024…at least for cap purposes.

You seem to be missing my point about 2025. Had the Chargers waited until 2025 to extend Herbert, they would be looking at 60 mil cap hit per season.
Nope, you've completely missed my point which was about "optimal windows and rookie contracts"

Beyond that, less isn't, unless it is truly less than the original. I read your posts and used one in another response. $6+M is less than $8+M, which is less than $19+M and that's less than $37M, or according to you less than what it could have been, correct?

When the original subject was about those windows all increases count against the cap and with each succeeding increase those windows close, just as it did with a $6+ to $8+M Justin Herbert and the Chargers paying big monies to Mike Williams ( three-year, $60 million, $40 million fully guaranteed) and Keenan Allen (4 years, $80,100,000, $13,500,000 signing bonus, $43,000,000 guaranteed)

Remember all of this started with my post about the Commanders not going full out this year, thereby shortening their optimal window by a full year because of it. Not that I minded the exchanges, YOU turned it into all of this and that about Herbert and it has been fun!

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, you've completely missed my point which was about "optimal windows and rookie contracts"

Beyond that, less isn't, unless it is truly less than the original. I read your posts and used one in another response. $6+M is less than $8+M, which is less than $19+M and that's less than $37M, or according to you less than what it could have been, correct?

When the original subject was about those windows all increases count against the cap and with each succeeding increase those windows close, just as it did with a $6+ to $8+M Justin Herbert and the Chargers paying big monies to Mike Williams ( three-year, $60 million, $40 million fully guaranteed) and Keenan Allen (4 years, $80,100,000, $13,500,000 signing bonus, $43,000,000 guaranteed)

Remember all of this started with my post about the Commanders not going full out this year, thereby shortening their optimal window by a full year because of it. Not that I minded the exchanges, YOU turned it into all of this and that about Herbert and it has been fun!

I never once said 6 million is worse than 20 million. I stated the numbers, then you posted where I got those exact numbers, I then stated that is where I got the numbers, and then you started talking nonsense about me being wrong. You tried to read into what I wrote too much when I never disagreed with your original statement. I simply added to it.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never once said 6 million is worse than 20 million. I stated the numbers, then you posted where I got those exact numbers, I then stated that is where I got the numbers, and then you started talking nonsense about me being wrong. You tried to read into what I wrote too much when I never disagreed with your original statement. I simply added to it.
Nonsense, you wanted to talk about extending the rookie contract when the topic was the prime window of championship opportunity. You are and were wrong because that window no matter how much you extend it remains within the first three years. Extension by definition means an increase in monetary output, you pointed that out. I never "read into" anything you posted but merely pointed out the flaw in your numbers based on the original subject. So, let's clear this up. How does extending the rookie contract equate to the cheapest window of opportunity, namely the first three years of the rookie contract?

Btw: Nobody is talking about a relative bargain, I'm referring to actual numbers (cost) in years 1,2, and 3. (That prime window)
It's far too late for me to make changes on my original post and it clearly outlines the subject. (Window)

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nonsense, you wanted to talk about extending the rookie contract when the topic was the prime window of championship opportunity. You are and were wrong because that window no matter how much you extend it remains within the first three years. Extension by definition means an increase in monetary output, you pointed that out. I never "read into" anything you posted but merely pointed out the flaw in your numbers based on the original subject. So, let's clear this up. How does extending the rookie contract equate to the cheapest window of opportunity, namely the first three years of the rookie contract?

Btw: Nobody is talking about a relative bargain, I'm referring to actual numbers (cost) in years 1,2, and 3. (That prime window)
It's far too late for me to make changes on my original post and it clearly outlines the subject. (Window)

The rookie contract is four years. The window on the rookie contract is four years. A fifth year can be added to the rookie contract (it is still the rookie contract). An extension is also available and can be more beneficial in year 5 than exercising the fifth year option. All of this is readily obvious looking at Justin Herbert’s contract.

He was drafted in 2020.

2023 all played on the rookie contract.

2024 is year 5…I believe they extended him without exercising the fifth year option and counts for under 20 million.

You keep saying three years but the window is four years…you are incorrect sir.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rookie contract is four years. The window on the rookie contract is four years. A fifth year can be added to the rookie contract (it is still the rookie contract). An extension is also available and can be more beneficial in year 5 than exercising the fifth year option. All of this is readily obvious looking at Justin Herbert’s contract.

He was drafted in 2020.

2023 all played on the rookie contract.

2024 is year 5…I believe they extended him without exercising the fifth year option and counts for under 20 million.

You keep saying three years but the window is four years…you are incorrect sir.
Read my original post in its entirety, there were points made about this.