• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

And... cue your Week 1 overreactions!

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree 100%

However, acting like one of the favorites to play in the SB (with possibly the most dominant individual unit in the league) just saw their season end on September 5th?

Fucking spare me.

Look at how different teams look every year from September to November. It's night/day all over the league. Players and coaches adjust. The whole year is a game of adjustments.

Our offense sucked vs Green Bay. If they do not suck, we are squarely in this fucking thing. It's THAT SIMPLE.

All hope is not lost when you have a unit as dominant as our defense. It just isn't.

Let's go back to 1985. Only one Super Bowl winning team in that entire 33 year span had a QB that was anywhere near to a level where you'd say "Man, this guy could royally f*ck this up for his team"....Dilfer. And he was a seasoned vet with years of experience behind him. 33 years...One example...and that example was a sh*t ton more experienced than Biscuit.

We have a QB in Trubisky where our opponent last night blitzed a couple times to start then just dropped 7-8 back into zones basically saying "This guy sucks and can't beat us." And that is what happened. Hell, the players are even saying it on the field during and off the field after the game. The players (current and former onlooking) know what is happening out there. The teams we are playing have zero respect for Trubisky. The effect it is having is that now we are possibly playing the equivalent of an elite defense every week by virtue of his (and accordingly our offense's) inability.

So yeah, it is worrying. You don't get to the Super Bowl by raising the playing level and confidence of your opponents' defenses each and every game.

The concern is real. We need to be better SIGNIFICANTLY at QB.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's go back to 1985. Only one Super Bowl winning team in that entire 33 year span had a QB that was anywhere near to a level where you'd say "Man, this guy could royally f*ck this up for his team"....Dilfer. And he was a seasoned vet with years of experience behind him. 33 years...One example...and that example was a sh*t ton more experienced than Biscuit.

We have a QB in Trubisky where our opponent last night blitzed a couple times to start then just dropped 7-8 back into zones basically saying "This guy sucks and can't beat us." And that is what happened. Hell, the players are even saying it on the field during and off the field after the game. The players (current and former onlooking) know what is happening out there. The teams we are playing have zero respect for Trubisky. The effect it is having is that now we are possibly playing the equivalent of an elite defense every week by virtue of his (and accordingly our offense's) inability.

So yeah, it is worrying. You don't get to the Super Bowl by raising the playing level and confidence of your opponents' defenses each and every game.

While yes that would help, there was a LOT of blame to go around on the offensive side of the ball. 2 delay of game penalties on the same drive? O line holding calls? 3rd down and 40??? Hand to the face call? 3rd and inches pass play call, etc.. Issues abounded on the O side of the ball. The only bright spot was Allen Robinson and the Bear running game which Nagy moved away from too quickly, in my opinion.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While yes that would help, there was a LOT of blame to go around on the offensive side of the ball. 2 delay of game penalties on the same drive? O line holding calls? 3rd down and 40??? Hand to the face call? 3rd and inches pass play call, etc.. Issues abounded on the O side of the ball. The only bright spot was Allen Robinson and the Bear running game which Nagy moved away from too quickly, in my opinion.

3 points.

But yes, there are other issues.

Our hole at TE was apparent...so a simple injury there is quite derailing.

Our WR crew is just average. Nothing exceptional based on what we've put on the field to this point. Is that Biscuit or the crew or a combo of both?

Our preparation was horrendous for this game. And yeah, there was some bad playcalling at multiple instances.

And yeah, our o-line didn't play that well.

So it's not just Biscuit...but is that reason for less concern...or more? When is Biscuit gonna lift us up more often than he makes us say "hmmm?"

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side... you can stop worrying about your kicker for a while.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the bright side... you can stop worrying about your kicker for a while.

The kicker was the reason the Bears went for it on 4th and 10 instead of kicking a 51 yard field goal. Had the Bears made it a 7 - 6 game the plays called after could have been much different only needing a field goal to take the lead.

The kicker effected the play calling

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody this year. That’s what I said. Who knows going forward if Mitch busts.

There is some speculation that Miami might be tanking in order to draft a QB next year... That is just an example, but I'd give a 3rd to kick the tires on Rosen, for instance...

Premature. Not ready to close the book on Trubisky just yet, but I just don't get how last night happens...

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The kicker was the reason the Bears went for it on 4th and 10 instead of kicking a 51 yard field goal. Had the Bears made it a 7 - 6 game the plays called after could have been much different only needing a field goal to take the lead.

I think Nagy wanted a spark with 7 instead of 3 moreso than worrying about Pineiro. Parkey had distance issues, Pineiro can boot the ball 60+. It was arrogance that led to the playcall moreso than distrust as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure he'll be answering about it in a presser sooner or later and I'd bet dollars to donuts his answer will be "we needed a spark there so I went for it."

It was a dumbass call either way.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is some speculation that Miami might be tanking in order to draft a QB next year... That is just an example, but I'd give a 3rd to kick the tires on Rosen, for instance...

Premature. Not ready to close the book on Trubisky just yet, but I just don't get how last night happens...

God it's painful to read this post. We're not trading or signing a new starting QB until this season is over, even if it is a disaster. Mitch has to start balling like...now.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God it's painful to read this post. We're not trading or signing a new starting QB until this season is over, even if it is a disaster. Mitch has to start balling like...now.

I do mean to make such a move after this season, not during this one.... If Trubisky continues in this fashion all season, yeah.... Gotta look elsewhere.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kicker had the leg. hubris made that 4th and 10 call.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, after much thought, it is now glaringly obvious that the Bears kinda suck.

But that's how it goes. One year of hope followed by decades of what ifs.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 points.

So it's not just Biscuit...but is that reason for less concern...or more? When is Biscuit gonna lift us up more often than he makes us say "hmmm?"
It is looking more and more like the Offense needs to be at peak performance to get Biscuit to perform at any level of ok'ness.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care if Tom Brady was out there last nite, it was a poorly coached game by Nagy.

He did not put his offense in position to succeed. There is quite literally no reason to have Mitch throwing it that many times in that close of a game, particularly one wherein run defense is the opponent's weakness.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I'll say is the starters loooked like didn't take any snaps in preseason.
Oh, that's right, they didn't.
They were too busy playing team-building exercises and beanbag toss.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line: We have no identity on offense. What are we? We establish nothing, so opponents fear nothing. Trubisky doesn't scare anyone, but we could have a decent running game, but don't establish the run either... We overuse our #3 RB and run a WR instead of our #1 RB on 3rd.... Thing is, you don't fool anyone unless you make the defense fear something else to begin with...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're missing a glaring one that just happened in (old) Peyton Manning.

07 - Eli Manning
11 - Eli Manning
12 - Flacco
15 - The Corpse of Peyton Manning (he was awwwwfffuullll at that point)

(Plus Dilfer)

How about Jeff Hostetler as well? You're certainly missing that one.

That's 3 extremely middling QB's winning the SB (Eli x2 and Flacco) and two BAD ones (40 year old Peyton and Dilfer) just in the last two decades.

We just saw Blake Bortles carry a double digit lead into the 4th quarter of the AFC Title game 19 months ago.

If this D is Denver 2015 or Jacksonville 2017 good. Which it damn well may be. We just need Trubisky to be regular "bad" and not exceptionally bad in order to give us a chance at a deep run. We just need him to not suck COMPLETELY. Like Bortles and old Peyton.

Also, again... no one is saying there's no reason to have concern. That's never been my argument. Of course, there's reasons to worry about Trubisky's growth. No shit.

I'm not saying we don't have issues, in the least. I am saying that it's September fucking 7th dude. This is like saying your baseball season is over after getting swept in your first series.

Look at all of the examples I gave pertaining to Week 1 and September last year.

I am glad this happened. Nagy and Trubisky both needed to know the honeymoon period is over. I think we will be better for it. It's time they got a kick in the ass. It's time for Nagy to coach and for Mitch to show us something.

Being concerned is LOGICAL.

Jumping off of a bridge is knee-jerk reactionary and STUPID. Not to mention, totally lacking in perspective.

If you think I'm saying it's all sunshine and daisies. You are SOOO missing the point of this.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home game. Division rival. Prime time. A must win when you consider the other teams we face on the schedule.

Yeah...it was a big deal. And only half our team and coaches came to play.

As I said, the offensive performance is concerning. However, Week 1 games are generally a horrible tell towards the rest of the season.

Surrendering 31 to Brock Osweiler and losing to Miami was concerning too. Losing 21-3 in the 2nd half of Week 1 last year to GB was concerning (that was much worse, IMO). However, we figured that out and we can move past this as well.

It's the first game of the season and no matter how much Bears fans want to cry about it. Their tears don't make it more important than it was.

And calling a game "must-win" when the entire league has yet to EVEN PLAY a game? I don't think I need to explain how silly that is.

Again. Fans read too much into week 1 every single season.

I just hope we FINALLY remember that going into next year.

BearsWillWin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said, the offensive performance is concerning. However, Week 1 games are generally a horrible tell towards the rest of the season.

Surrendering 31 to Brock Osweiler and losing to Miami was concerning too. Losing 21-3 in the 2nd half of Week 1 last year to GB was concerning (that was much worse, IMO). However, we figured that out and we can move past this as well.

It's the first game of the season and no matter how much Bears fans want to cry about it. Their tears don't make it more important than it was.

And calling a game "must-win" when the entire league has yet to EVEN PLAY a game? I don't think I need to explain how silly that is.

Again. Fans read too much into week 1 every single season.

I just hope we FINALLY remember that going into next year.

This year isn't last year. Different team, different schedule, different year, different everything. Comparing it is what's silly because last season has no bearing on this season.

If you don't understand the importance of beating a division rival when you're the home team....then I can't help you. Not to mention 3 of the next 4 games are on the road, including a trip across the pond, winning this one was important.

Saying must win is obvious hyperbole...but when you consider the rest of the schedule...especially this early part of it...you might understand why the hyperbole was used.

The difference between making the playoffs or sitting at home can often come down to 1 game. As can getting a first round bye or playing in the division round....hosting a playoff game or going on the road.

Of course the Bears can recover from this rather easily. One loss is just one loss in the standings.

But Mitch is supposed to be the franchise QB and Nagy is the playcaller we have to rely on the rest of the season. The issues we saw with both of them Thursday night are real and they are very concerning. When the guy who calls the plays makes comments the next day that says he was upset with the play balance and rhythm of the play calling....I begin to scratch my head and wonder what exactly is going on.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree to an extent. However, you beat an 8-8 team at best tonight. Our offense could be the worst in the nfl this year.
I believe the Packers defense had a lot to do with the Bears ineffective offense. The Packers invested heavily in defense in the offseason.