• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Week 7: Bears (3-2) vs Saints (5-1)

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I say we do both. Have Trubisky battle it out with bridgewater in the preseason, then cut him.

Honestly though, I think bridgewater would be a better solution in the short term while our defense still has talent than a second round QB.
But is Bridgewater only doing well because of the Sean Payton system? Not much else outside of it. Look at Foles outside the Pederson system - who, may also be available since Minshew seems to be for real. Why can't we fall into that kind of luck?

:doh: What am I saying? Fire everyone. Especially Pace and Nagy. This is the offense they wanted. And it's terrible.

If the Jets get 231 yards of offense Monday night, Bears are 31st in yards. 30th in points scored.

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is Bridgewater only doing well because of the Sean Payton system? Not much else outside of it. Look at Foles outside the Pederson system - who, may also be available since Minshew seems to be for real. Why can't we fall into that kind of luck?

:doh: What am I saying? Fire everyone. Especially Pace and Nagy. This is the offense they wanted. And it's terrible.

If the Jets get 231 yards of offense Monday night, Bears are 31st in yards. 30th in points scored.
I put Nagy on a super short leash. Might even fire him after this year. Pace has some slack because of what he has done with the defense.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that sucked.

LambeauLegs

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,938.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Relax dude, Nagy was supposed to be an offensive genius according to most experts. I didn't say anything to rub it in.

He did win the NFL Coach of the year last year so why the big drop off?

Reactions: GNG

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bridgewater isn't even doing "well" necessarily. He's won and has been great in his role as a backup... but he's been far from great. Most of these games have been won with stellar defense. He takes what the defense gives him. He made a couple throws today and vs TB that were legitimately really good. However, long-term I don't see why you would want him as your answer. If NO had to win in the post-season with this formula - it's very questionable as to whether or not it could keep up.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put Nagy on a super short leash. Might even fire him after this year. Pace has some slack because of what he has done with the defense.

My reluctance to blame Nagy stems from the fact that I am not sure what the hell a coach is supposed to do when he has the worst starting QB in football (IMO, at least thus far) and a rather catastrophic O-line to boot. Your personnel cannot run. Your personnel cannot throw. I don't know how you get around that...

Everyone can jump up and down hollering for him to run the ball. But when you almost ALWAYS net plays of 2 yards or less with your RB's. It's not an insane concept to use the short passing game as a substitute. It's not like we didn't have Mitch in 3rd and manageable today. Our 3rd down and distance was not an issue. The vast majority were short-to-intermediate. HE was an issue on those plays. I think we also ran as many plays in the 4th quarter as we did all game or something utterly crazy like that. Where... obviously... you were going to be passing down 3-4 scores.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did win the NFL Coach of the year last year so why the big drop off?

His QB got exploited and has no answer. His line suffered a drop off. He can't figure out a way to adjust back to the ways that the league has adjusted to him. At least, not yet.

Losing his best run defender in Akiem Hicks to a dislocated elbow has proved crucial over the past two games as well.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bridgewater isn't even doing "well" necessarily. He's won and has been great in his role as a backup... but he's been far from great. Most of these games have been won with stellar defense. He takes what the defense gives him. He made a couple throws today and vs TB that were legitimately really good. However, long-term I don't see why you would want him as your answer. If NO had to win in the post-season with this formula - it's very questionable as to whether or not it could keep up.

That OSU secondary tho....nasty

Beengay fudgepackers

Packin since 1919
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,300.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reluctance to blame Nagy stems from the fact that I am not sure what the hell a coach is supposed to do when he has the worst starting QB in football (IMO, at least thus far) and a rather catastrophic O-line to boot. Your personnel cannot run. Your personnel cannot throw. I don't know how you get around that...

Everyone can jump up and down hollering for him to run the ball. But when you almost ALWAYS net plays of 2 yards or less with your RB's. It's not an insane concept to use the short passing game as a substitute. It's not like we didn't have Mitch in 3rd and manageable today. Our 3rd down and distance was not an issue. The vast majority were short-to-intermediate. HE was an issue on those plays. I think we also ran as many plays in the 4th quarter as we did all game or something utterly crazy like that. Where... obviously... you were going to be passing down 3-4 scores.
I don’t give a fuck how much you are struggling with the run game. You run it more than 7 times. You also don’t use tareek Cohen to run it between the tackles. This shit is on Nagy. He has refused to run the ball on third and short going all the way back to last year.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of our window of opportunity with this defense, get Miami on the phone for Fitzpatrick IMO...

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Nagy is an offensive guru, he should be able to find weaknesses in any defense. The ole "take what the defense gives you." He is failing miserably IMO.

Plus, he can't train Trubisky to find these weaknesses if he can't find them himself.

:2cents:

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here's a novel concept...HAND THE FUCKING BALL OFF!!!

How in the fuck are we supposed to know if the line sucks or the run game sucks with 7 fucking attempts, half of which are fucking gadget plays to receivers!?

Nagy deserves a shit ton of flack. He has been utter shit this year.

Payton

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a novel concept...HAND THE FUCKING BALL OFF!!!

How in the fuck are we supposed to know if the line sucks or the run game sucks with 7 fucking attempts, half of which are fucking gadget plays to receivers!?

Nagy deserves a shit ton of flack. He has been utter shit this year.

Yeah, this is approaching a, "Let's get back to the basics" kinda thing. Seems to be all Trubisky is capable of understanding anyway. Let's go a bit vanilla and see if our talent can move our offense for the time being?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trestman 2.0

It's eerily similar, isn't it?

If the defense throws in the towel, we're gonna have some really bad results for the rest of this season. This offense is just bad. We are what we are after 6 games.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t give a fuck how much you are struggling with the run game. You run it more than 7 times. You also don’t use tareek Cohen to run it between the tackles. This shit is on Nagy. He has refused to run the ball on third and short going all the way back to last year.

The thing is that you can't run it when you're facing such a deficit in the 4th. A lot of times people forget that when they look at post-game stats of a blowout. We hardly ran any plays in the first 3 quarters (relatively speaking) and then we ran a shit ton in the last 10ish minutes. Of course, all of those were rightfully passes.

I really don't know. I think running it just because "conventional wisdom says so" is equally as boneheaded as anything. Analytics has done a lot for sports and it's something I've taken a huge interest in over the past couple years. The running game is a bit overvalued, generally speaking. A huge reason why the ratio has gotten even more pass happy the last few years is because teams are hiring analytics staff into the front offices now.

Just keep running it despite the fact that it constantly creates 2nd and longs? That's kind of insanity in its own right. It was clear we weren't going to run on them. Nobody does. We sure ain't. Then we fumbled on 2 of those 7 carries and averaged like 2 yards.

I'm not taking a side against you here. I really just don't know. I know (you're right) the ratio has to be better than it was. I don't think by THAT much, though. Our 1st down plays typically were okay. Like I said... we set up 3rd and manageable all afternoon long.

I agree running Cohen up the centers ass is dumb and I would like to hear an explanation. Struggles with the run game come from more than that play, though. You can count on one (maybe two) hands how many times he's done it. I find it much more concerning that when Montgomery takes a hand-off (the guy we should be giving it to) he meets a brick wall.

At the end of the day our QB is the worst starter in the league and there are probably 7-8 backups I would rather have start Sunday's game for us. Our O-line is abysmal trash. I'm not saying Nagy shouldn't take criticism. I'm just saying he shouldn't be at the very top of our lists. That's just my opinion.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, this is approaching a, "Let's get back to the basics" kinda thing. Seems to be all Trubisky is capable of understanding anyway. Let's go a bit vanilla and see if our talent can move our offense for the time being?

I would be down with this as a game plan for Sunday.

For the love of god... can Mitch start running too? What in the hell is this about? I get that he wants to protect his body but good lord. At this point, fuck it. That extended SO MANY drives last year. He was such a good pure runner. I remember being so impressed by what he could do in that facet. Now it's gone completely.

WHHHHYYYYY???

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another td given up by the greatest defense ever.....My turn to boo with the crowd:

View attachment 220459

Your thing with the D is sort of weird. Only person I see blaming them so much.

The D was great in the first half and only allowed a TD when the offense fumbled just outside our own 20. Of course they broke eventually. You can only lean on them so many times before they give. That's inevitable for every unit. The offense had 4 first downs until the 4th quarter. The Saints offense never left the field.

Without Hicks, the rush D is clearly not what it was and opponents can clearly key on Mack more in the passing game. However, it's obvious that the defense is a victim of circumstance. Getting murdered by having to keep covering for one of the worst Bears offenses in history. Which is REALLY saying something.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wth.....we have nothing to lose on the spot of the ball......Theyyre gona go for it on 4th and inches anyways if they are short.

The Saints didn't go for it in Bears territory on 4th and inches early after the Bears stuffed a 3rd and 1 run. Doubtful they go for it on 4th and 1 at their own 34.