• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers' off-season; Cap Space $8,346,186.00

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
[/B]

He's about to re-sign in Cincy.

:(

There were a million CBs in FA, and the Niners haven't signed a single one?

Nnamdi is the only CB left who might be an upgrade over the current starters, and it looks like he's not going to sign. If the Niners don't sign him, I say go all-out on the pass-rush (Dumervil) and stick with the current group. I wouldn't be extremely happy about it though.

I still can't believe the Niners didn't sign DRC.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What do you guys think of Rashean Mathis? He used to be a great CB, but it's been a while since I've paid very close attention to anyone in Jacksonville.

...by the way, I still think it would be a great idea to brink Quentin Jammer in for 1 season as a FS.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Really cheap FAs who are left and could contribute (maybe):

Aubrayo Franklin, Arthur Jones, Cedric Griffin, Jason Smith (TE - jumbo package), Nate Kaeding, Mike Patterson, Alan Branch.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What do you guys think of Rashean Mathis? He used to be a great CB, but it's been a while since I've paid very close attention to anyone in Jacksonville.

...by the way, I still think it would be a great idea to brink Quentin Jammer in for 1 season as a FS.

He tore his ACL in 2011, came back this year and was pretty bad and lost his starting job. I suppose it's possible part of it could have been that he needed more time to come back from the injury but you run the risk that he's just done as a player if you go out and sign him. Is the highest possible upside with him all that great if he's healthy? Eh, I kind of doubt it anymore. I don't know if he's the best fit system wise either.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:(

There were a million CBs in FA, and the Niners haven't signed a single one?

Nnamdi is the only CB left who might be an upgrade over the current starters, and it looks like he's not going to sign. If the Niners don't sign him, I say go all-out on the pass-rush (Dumervil) and stick with the current group. I wouldn't be extremely happy about it though.

I still can't believe the Niners didn't sign DRC.

Do we really need to spend money upgrading our corners? How many people were complaining about our corners when we had a top 5 pass defense during the regular season; which is especially hard considering very few teams can run on us and were forced to try and pass.

This notion that our secondary sucks is pretty ridiculous. When we could actually generate a pass rush, our secondary was playing damn good football. Our best pass rushers were hurt down the stretch (The Smith's and Brooks); that and that alone is the reason teams began having success throwing against us. There isn't a team in the NFL that will have success defending the pass without a decent pass rush.

Yes, We did lose Goldson, but we are obviously going to address that during the draft.(Hopefully with my boy's Reid and Rambo) No need to waste many resources on fixing something that was never broke to begin with. If we can acquire cheap upgrades, then yes, cause that makes sense, but throwing loads of money at guys like Sean Smith, DRC, Talib, and others is just overkill for a position that doesn't need a major fix. At least that is my opinion on the situation.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
This notion that our secondary sucks is pretty ridiculous.

I don't think anyone thinks the DBs suck. I think people think Whitner sucks, and Rogers is over-paid already. I was hoping the Niners got a little younger by cutting Rogers & Whitner and signing a CB (or 2 depending on the FS situation & Culliver).

But I can live with the current group as long as the Niners add another serious pass-rusher either in FA or the draft (and a good DE to rotate in).

As frustrating as the inactivity on the CB front is, we have to keep in mind that Revis is still out there, and teams may cut some good players after the draft.

Nastastical

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone thinks the DBs suck. I think people think Whitner sucks, and Rogers is over-paid already. I was hoping the Niners got a little younger by cutting Rogers & Whitner and signing a CB (or 2 depending on the FS situation & Culliver).

But I can live with the current group as long as the Niners add another serious pass-rusher either in FA or the draft (and a good DE to rotate in).

As frustrating as the inactivity on the CB front is, we have to keep in mind that Revis is still out there, and teams may cut some good players after the draft.

I definitely agree with you about us needing another good pass rusher; someone like Antwan Barnes or Shaun Phillips would be huge for us, with either of them playing the same role Aldon played for us during his rookie season. That would make life easier for everyone on defense, if we could acquire a legitimate threat on the outside. While I love Ray Mac on 1st and 2nd down, he doesn't need to be on the field during passing downs. We need to go to the same nascar package that the giants use on passing downs, with Justin and Aldon moving to the inside, with Brooks and another legitimate pass rusher attacking from outside; hopefully that added rusher is versatile enough to play both inside and out, so that Aldon and him can switch back and forth to keep the offense off balance.

I can also live with Whitner for one more season. Yes, his pass coverage leaves a lot to be desired, but he does bring good leadership to the field and locker room. Hopefully with a better pass rush, we can hide some of his flaws. Either way, I believe his future replacement will be drafted within the first 3 rounds of this years draft.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Do we really need to spend money upgrading our corners? How many people were complaining about our corners when we had a top 5 pass defense during the regular season; which is especially hard considering very few teams can run on us and were forced to try and pass.

This notion that our secondary sucks is pretty ridiculous. When we could actually generate a pass rush, our secondary was playing damn good football. Our best pass rushers were hurt down the stretch (The Smith's and Brooks); that and that alone is the reason teams began having success throwing against us. There isn't a team in the NFL that will have success defending the pass without a decent pass rush.

Yes, We did lose Goldson, but we are obviously going to address that during the draft.(Hopefully with my boy's Reid and Rambo) No need to waste many resources on fixing something that was never broke to begin with. If we can acquire cheap upgrades, then yes, cause that makes sense, but throwing loads of money at guys like Sean Smith, DRC, Talib, and others is just overkill for a position that doesn't need a major fix. At least that is my opinion on the situation.

The secondary doesn't suck but it's pretty pedestrian.

You already mentioned it but the key was pass rush and it made our secondary look better than it actually was. When the pass rush wasn't as strong the secondary got lit up. And to be fair any secondary is going to get weaker if the pass rush diminishes but it shouldn't have that much of a drop off.

The problem is right now our CBs are a bunch of #2 to #3 quality CBs and currently we don't have a Safety with any coverage skills at all. Our best coverage guy Brown is too short and gets abused by big WRs and we have nobody that can deal with speed and more specifically the slot. Guys like Cruz and Amendola (and likely Harvin now) destroy us and a large reason we lost the NFC Championship against the Giants that nobody really talks about is Cruz absolutely abused Rogers all game. If someone was able to shut down Cruz that game we probably win comfortably.

With that said Safety is of the utmost importance as I think we can survive with our CBs right now if we had too. But if we don't get a Safety with any sort of coverage skills in the draft we're going to be hosed in the playoffs unless our pass rush is standing on it's head.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wondering if I could get some clarification on the salary cap for those that may know the answer. The 7 mil+ in cap space before Dahl and Skuta, does that mean we need to sign our rookies from this upcoming draft using that cap space as well. I have to believe that if they DO count against the cap, that would eat up at least 2-3 mil. Am I wrong? If so, how does the cap work with regards to the draft? I know they slot picks but it still means that those salaries are going towards the cap.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was wondering if I could get some clarification on the salary cap for those that may know the answer. The 7 mil+ in cap space before Dahl and Skuta, does that mean we need to sign our rookies from this upcoming draft using that cap space as well. I have to believe that if they DO count against the cap, that would eat up at least 2-3 mil. Am I wrong? If so, how does the cap work with regards to the draft? I know they slot picks but it still means that those salaries are going towards the cap.

Yes same cap space gets used for rookie draft class. Which could be around $4M total.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes same cap space gets used for rookie draft class. Which could be around $4M total.

Then if the rookies are around 4 mil on the cap, Dahl is something like 1.6 mil and Skuta for 2 mil, then we don't have ANY cap space to sign anyone else without cuts and/or restructuring contracts.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. Main reason why Haralason's spot is tedious.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit, I would be just fine with Haralyson and Whitner packing their bags and throwing the entire 8 mil saved on signing Elvis for 1yr/8mil. Meanwhile, make sure to draft both S positions early, like Reid in the 2nd and whoever SS we fill can fit our defensive scheme. A strong pass rush is a great cologne for a secondary.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like that too. I think Spillman can play at SS.

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody think Robinson has made strides that might make the coaches think he can compete for a starting job?

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric Branch:

Per NFLPA, 49ers LB Dan Skuta will earn base salaries of $1 million in 2013 and $1.3 million in 2014.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Dan Skuta's two-year deal is worth $3 million, including $300,000 bonus, $150,000 roster bonus, $50,000 annual workout bonuses, escalator
Retweeted by Matt Barrows

I'm guessing the $150k roster bonus is the annual amount instead of total.
So first year cap hit would be $1,350,000.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Matt Maiocco:

S Craig Dahl officially signed three-year, $5.25 million contract w/ 49ers, including $700,000 signing bonus, source said. 2013 cap: $1.78M.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@MaioccoCSN: S Craig Dahl officially signed three-year, $5.25 million contract w/ 49ers, including $700,000 signing bonus, source said. 2013 cap: $1.78M.

Yep
@MaioccoCSN: LB/ST Dan Skuta officially signed two-year, $3 million contract with 49ers, including $300,000 signing bonus, source said. 2013 cap: $1.35M.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crunched the numbers again so our cap space is currently: $5,256,592.00