• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

49ers' off-season; Cap Space $8,346,186.00

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But...free agency period begins before the draft. For instance, John Abraham is flying in for a visit today or tomorrow. You're not going to find "value" after the draft sence the draft takes place after the "value" guys are signed a month prior to the draft.

in the past two seasons, Baalke hasn't 'chased' the better FA's at start of free agency, but still managed to find value later. Rogers and Goodwin come to mind.

he'll do his due diligence by contacting players now (Cullen Jenkins and apparently Abraham), but won't chase hard. if our FO likes Abraham, then make an offer, just don't over do it.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Abraham will come cheap. I do like the pursuit tho. Any one interested in James Harrison?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't think Abraham will come cheap. I do like the pursuit tho. Any one interested in James Harrison?

I'm ok with him not coming cheap as long as he's willing to sign a 1-year deal. MAYBE 2, but I'd prefer 1.

I have no interest in Lames Harrison.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

yep, due diligence is expected. someone like Harrision is fine, but don't think his character fits?

i should clarify.....to me offer a free agent what you think he's worth, but don't go overboard and out bid others. didn't mean to imply offer everyone the same 'cheap' contract.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But...free agency period begins before the draft. For instance, John Abraham is flying in for a visit today or tomorrow. You're not going to find "value" after the draft sence the draft takes place after the "value" guys are signed a month prior to the draft.

Plus he was cut so he can be signed before free agency starts.

All8up

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, especially with his list of suitors growing by the day.

Can't imagine Harrison signing for peanuts either. I know he was cut several times by clubs but had no idea he was in his mid-30s.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm a little worried that Manningham & Whitner are still 49ers. I hope they're waiting 'til they sign other players to cut 'em.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a little worried that Manningham & Whitner are still 49ers. I hope they're waiting 'til they sign other players to cut 'em.

I can't see the whitner move coming I know everyone wants it I just don't see it

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why? I never thought that either would get cut. Manningham at this point is being looked at has a huge contributor on this team next season and until that changes for some reason, he isn't going anywhere.

Whitner is on the last year of his contract and we are getting extremely shallow at the safety position. Even if we do draft and/or sign a S, I still doubt we cut him, he provides leadership and has knowledge of the scheme.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see the whitner move coming I know everyone wants it I just don't see it

Agreed, it makes no sense at this point. I think that might just be another pipe dream from a fan or fans.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers, Cowboys and Browns call Wes Welker's agent - ************.com

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Why? I never thought that either would get cut. Manningham at this point is being looked at has a huge contributor on this team next season and until that changes for some reason, he isn't going anywhere.

Whitner is on the last year of his contract and we are getting extremely shallow at the safety position. Even if we do draft and/or sign a S, I still doubt we cut him, he provides leadership and has knowledge of the scheme.

Whitner is a big, fat, gaping hole in the pass defense at this point.

And Manningham is set to make 4 million this season. For a guy who was a borderline #2 / #3 WR on a running team, 4 million is WAY too much. Especially coming off a major injury.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitner is a big, fat, gaping hole in the pass defense at this point.

And Manningham is set to make 4 million this season. For a guy who was a borderline #2 / #3 WR on a running team, 4 million is WAY too much. Especially coming off a major injury.

Rogers (at times), Culliver, Brown (at times) and Goldson were also huge gaping holes in our pass defense. We need to replace them all, but it isn't going to happen overnight. We need leadership and we need to bridge the gap. Rookies aren't going to come right in, learn the game, learn the playbook and dominate. They need time, this is why I see us keeping Whiter and Rogers for another year. They are both gone next year.

Manningham is set to make 4 milion this season. We also currently have like three receviers (including him) on the team with NFL experience. We are counting on both he and KW next season for major contribution. Even if we do draft a WR in the 1st, I don't see us cutting him. There is no doubt that at this point in time Manningham is our #2 receiver and KW #3, we could bring in a rookie to challenge for PT but I'm not counting on rookies and apparently the team isn't either at this point.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Rogers (at times), Culliver, Brown (at times) and Goldson were also huge gaping holes in our pass defense.

Not like Whitner.

Manningham is set to make 4 milion this season. We also currently have like three receviers (including him) on the team with NFL experience.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't justify giving him 4 million dollars. There are plenty of FA WRs who aren't coming off major injuries and could easily replace his production for less money.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not like Whitner.

Manningham is set to make 4 milion this season. We also currently have like three receviers (including him) on the team with NFL experience.

That doesn't justify giving him 4 million dollars. There are plenty of FA WRs who aren't coming off major injuries and could easily replace his production for less money.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely like Whitner, Goldson probably gave up more big plays than anyone on the team. That guy gets lost in coverage more than any top FS in the league simply because of the way he plays, he's a hitter and thrives in run support.

It does justify giving him 4 million dollars especially the flashes he showed last season before he got injured. It is beyond crazy to cut yourself down to two receivers with NFL experience if you are wanting to be a superbowl contender. I just don't see it happening. Once again, why would they go back to the FA market? These guys don't have any knowledge of the offense like Manningham does and they will need to gel with the team, taking several games. Manningham will be ready to go from day 1 of the season. Plus we don't really know what Manningham's production was going to be, he was just catching on as a go to man in the offense and gelling with the QB's. Again, you can't just plug anyone in, there is always going to be an adjustment period and I want to win games.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Absolutely like Whitner, Goldson probably gave up more big plays than anyone on the team. That guy gets lost in coverage more than any top FS in the league simply because of the way he plays, he's a hitter and thrives in run support.

Goldson is still 3 times as good as Whitner in coverage. If the Niners brought Goldson back, it should be to play SS not FS IMO. I wish they benched Whitner & made Goldson the SS last year.

Knowlege of the offense isn't worth 4 million dollars for Mario.

Think about this: Cutting Whitner & Mario clears up enough money to sign Sean Smith (whom I don't want) or another higher-tier starting CB. THAT would seriously help the team, and they could be replaced with cheaper players who would probably play better. Danny Amendola comes to mind.

And it's 3 WRs with knowlege of the offense. AJ Jenkins is still on the team, and although I'm not optimistic about him, he's still 2nd-year player.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goldson is still 3 times as good as Whitner in coverage. If the Niners brought Goldson back, it should be to play SS not FS IMO. I wish they benched Whitner & made Goldson the SS last year.

Knowlege of the offense isn't worth 4 million dollars for Mario.

Think about this: Cutting Whitner & Mario clears up enough money to sign Sean Smith (whom I don't want) or another higher-tier starting CB. THAT would seriously help the team, and they could be replaced with cheaper players who would probably play better. Danny Amendola comes to mind.

And it's 3 WRs with knowlege of the offense. AJ Jenkins is still on the team, and although I'm not optimistic about him, he's still 2nd-year player.

He is better in coverage but he gets lost and that hurts a lot more than getting beat by a TE like Whitner did so often this year.

In this case knowledge of the offense is certainly worth 4 million dollars. Manningham was just beginning to pick up speed and learn gel with the offense when he got injured, he showed that he without a doubt should have gotten much more playing time than he did. The simple fact is that we are not in a position to release our veteran wide receivers at the moment, like it or not, this is the reality that we are dealing with.

There is no higher tier CB, he is the top CB on the market. Talib is close to him and might be considered higher than him but character concerns have teams a bit worried (which Talib has earned, he is a knucklehead). I certainly don't think Danny Amendola is going to come cheap, he is very important to the Rams and they will certainly fight for him. Plus Amendola isn't an outside the numbers WR, which Manningham will be for us next year as he takes Moss' spot. Amendola is nearly a pure 100% slot man.

AJ Jenkins, has knowledge of the system but if any GM would cut a WR who is expected to start and have a great contribution for a guy who went his whole rookie season without catching a pass, then that guy should be fired immediately.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By higher-tier CB I didn't mean higher than Sean Smith, I just meant one of the big names out there.

But I still don't want Sean Smith.

I don't expect AJ Jenkins to start either, but I fully expect him to get some significant playing time early on in the season. If he doesn't cut it, then Kyle Williams will have to make due with what tehy expected to get out of Jenkins.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By higher-tier CB I didn't mean higher than Sean Smith, I just meant one of the big names out there.

But I still don't want Sean Smith.

I don't expect AJ Jenkins to start either, but I fully expect him to get some significant playing time early on in the season. If he doesn't cut it, then Kyle Williams will have to make due with what tehy expected to get out of Jenkins.

Why don't you want Sean Smith? This guy has the potential to be a top 5 CB in the league, in the system that we run. Not to mention he will be very reasonably priced. Why would you not want a guy like that?

I certainly think that AJ will be at least 4th string when the season begins and possibly lower depending on a draft pick. I really do hope that AJ learns while working with Kaep over the summer an develops into a nice receiver, I'm not holding my breath though.